Best place for camping in Colorado???

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Best place for camping in Colorado???

Postby CASHCOW » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 pm

We are wanting to get away for a few days...... does anyone know a place they would highly recommend in the north eastern or southern colorado areas? Or do you happen to know of someplace onlne the will give us some info on some great places to camp
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby CASHCOW » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 am

thanks for the info Ivar....... it will help us narrow down what area we want to go to. do you happen to know of any camping places that are not so commercial, but are near/at a lake or river?
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:37 am

Why not join us at the last gasp gathering in Sept?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 am

Mike and Brenda wrote:thanks for the info Ivar....... it will help us narrow down what area we want to go to. do you happen to know of any camping places that are not so commercial, but are near/at a lake or river?

Try this lake, Lake Vallecito. It survived the big fire they had there a few years ago, and the are touching memorials to the fire fighters all around the lake.

http://www.vallecitolakechamber.com/

Lightner Creek campground in Durango IMO is not commercial at all. Family ran, very clean, and scenery to die for.

But, on the other hand if you are looking for quaint and cozy, I'd stay away from the ski resort areas. Not as busy this time of the year, but still "kind of" touristy and ritzy. I've spent a lot of time in southern CO and northern NM, I really like it there. True some areas can get touristy there as well, but not like Vail where I grew up.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby neal b » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:39 am

if you go to Durango you must take the train ride to Silverton that is a pretty trip

neal b :D
neal b
The 300 Club

Postby CASHCOW » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:04 pm

We have been all over the silverton and Durango i have been on the train 3 time and Brenda 1 :thinking: just thinking if i get Brenda in that part of the woods mite not get her home

i have been looking around Creede just wont soming with water and trees :roll: and 8000 ft and up :lol: :lol: :lol: is that too much to ask for :lol:
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby Ivar the Red » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:36 pm

Creede is nice and cozy...have you looked at Leadville? Small, very high elevation, and lots of history. There is a train ride there also. Dang ya'll are making me jealous. We're not going back again until Christmas, my "flatlander" daughter wants to see a really "white" white Christmas.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:13 am

Mike and Brenda wrote:thanks for the info Ivar....... it will help us narrow down what area we want to go to. do you happen to know of any camping places that are not so commercial, but are near/at a lake or river?

Mike and Brenda,

If you want to get away from the tourist crowds this might be the place. It is one of our favorite places to camp. The smell of pinion wood campfires, and the call of coyote's in the night are just a couple of the reasons we love it there. Here's a little cut and paste about it;

Coyote Creek State Park is nestled in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains along a meandering stream. Enclosed by a forest of spruce and pine, the small valley displays abundant wildflowers and beautiful fall foliage. The park is ideal for fishing, family camping and leisurely nature walks.
The main attraction of the park is the opportunity to camp or picnic in pleasant surroundings, in a beautiful mountain setting, well away from the beaten track.Private campsites are scattered along the creek, which is sheltered by cottonwood trees and willow plants. The parks refreshing temperature offer relief during the height of New Mexicos summers. but heavy snows limit the use of the park in the winter.
Coyote Creek is stocked with rainbow trout and some native trout and according to the State Department of Game and Fish, the creek is the highest stock water in the state of New Mexico, per square foot of water. To increase the fishing potential, ponds have been created behind small dams constructed of natural rocks and beaver dams. The area contains a variety of game including deer and bear.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby CASHCOW » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:33 am

Thanks for the info Steve. It will help. We are wanting to camp somewhere that will be off the beaten path and is near a lake or stream. Just want to get away and relax for a few days before the new school year creeps in...... We appreciate any info anyone can give us.........
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:00 am

Mike and Brenda wrote:Thanks for the info Steve. It will help. We are wanting to camp somewhere that will be off the beaten path and is near a lake or stream. Just want to get away and relax for a few days before the new school year creeps in...... We appreciate any info anyone can give us.........

Your most welcome. If you are up in that part of New Mexico, a good camping read is the John Nichols' book The Milagro Beanfield War the novel is based on some of the history and events around the whole Angle Fire resort debacle.

Another place up there that is really more isolated is at 8000 feet and a few miles from the town of Mora. It is called Morphy Lake, the road has been paved in the last few years. I was up there just a few weeks ago and we had the lake to ourselves except for a couple of locals that were fishing. Nice campground and bathrooms.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby WarPony » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 pm

Mike and Brenda, we are vacationing at these places next month.......... never been there but looks good on paper :twisted: .

http://parks.state.co.us/Parks/jamesmrobbcoloradoriver

and here...........

http://www.sweetwaterriverranch.com/

I got my 5-day fishing license in the mail today.......... I told Anna that I'd be catching our meals from the river............... that fetched quite a look :lol: .

Jeff and Anna
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:38 am

Anna better take some Spam just in case. Just kidding Jeff you'll catch plenty of fish.
Gary :lol:
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby CASHCOW » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:02 pm

Thanks for the info guys....... Jeff, FYI we stayed at the Sweetwaterriverranch last year. The owners were very cordial and many of the campsites were close to the water with little piers to fish off of. The only bad thing about it was that it was right off the highway. Mike wasnt to crazy about it because of the road noise but we knew we wereonly staying one night there. It was pre-teardrop days, so the tent was all we had....... I would certainly stay there again with the td if I could get one of the spots close to the river and with a little pier..........

We are planning on hanging in the south central to mid central areas of Colorado if we go on up to co. We have heard some good stuff about Morphy Lake in NM so I think we are going to hit there first..... I told mike that if all else failed........we would stay on Monarch Pass....... I love that little lake just down the pass from there...... it is awesome.....
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Return to North Central