Yellowstone-Where To Stay?

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Yellowstone-Where To Stay?

Postby jambie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:46 pm

Okay, we're going to Yellowstone the last two weeks of May 2010, and need to find the best place to stay. Prefer electric hookup, but if not then generator friendly. What we need the most, though, is a place with nice bathrooms and showers. There seems to be very few commercial parks nearby, and most of the campgrounds in the park have no hookups.

So, suggestions are appreciated. We'll be going to Grand Teton-Jackson as well, and have heard good things about Moran and Colter Bay.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Tom
jambie
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bbarry » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:27 pm

We're thinking of planning a trip to Yellowstone next year as well. There are a fairly large number of private parks in West Yellowstone (MT) and in the general vicinity of the park entrances, but you're right, almost all of the NPS sites have no hookups (except for Fishing Bridge RV Park).

Personally, I'm fine with no hookups, but the wife would really like flush toilets and showers close by.

Brad
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby john » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:33 am

There are many campgrounds. the link below lists them. Fishing Bridge is the only campground that offers full hookups. Grant and Canyon campgrounds offer showers, but no hook ups. Reservations are required. Check out the method of reservation at least 6 months in advance.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camping-in-yellowstone.htm

I stayed in Norris this past summer. It was first come first serve. We got there before 10:30 and were nearly too late. We did get a site, though. The following days we were always the first there ;) so paid one day at a time. There were no showers and the only electricity was an outlet in the bathrooms.

Norris is fairly centrally located and that is a benefit as the park is large. We did not realize the benefit of this until we started exploring the park. Waking to the smell of the Norris geysers was nice too.

Having been to Yellowstone before I would choose Tower Falls campground as it is in the mountains and feels alpine.

Norris was a very good second choice due to location and shade and a creek running nearby. Buffalo too.

I drove through Indian Springs but found it unappealing.

Mammoth Springs campground lacked shade.

All that said, I would have been happy to get any site in Yellowstone. The campgrounds are very quiet during the day because everyone is out playing. All we did was sleep in ours.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Pic of our Norris Campground Site:
Last edited by john on Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby bbarry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am

john wrote:All that said, I would have been happy to get any site in Yellowstone. The campgrounds are very quiet during the day because everyone is out playing. All we did was sleep in ours.

Thanks John! It's always nice to hear a little from someone who's been there before. The planner in me really likes the idea of reservations, but maybe I need to fly by the seat of my pants a little more...Tower Falls and Canyon both look nice.

Thanks again,

Brad
Brad

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Kampster build thread
bbarry
The 300 Club

Postby boomboomtulum » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:27 am

We stayed at the KOA West Yellowstone last June for 4 nights. It is only about 3 miles from the entrance to Yellowstone and many of the sites have Elec. & Water. The town of West Yellowstone is right at the entrance to the park and convient for stores, gas etc. There is a Grizzly & Wolf discovery museam there as well. It is very nice place to work out of making daily trips into the park. Remember your NPS pass is good for a week
If you have stayed at KOA's before you know that most are very nice. Were not really into the whole social thing at moust of them, but they always have clean hot showers and bathrooms, laundry etc.
http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=37109

Have'nt been everywhere yet, but it's on my list.
boomboomtulum
Teardrop Master

Postby john » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:46 am

I read the second part of the question about the Tetons but forgot it while thinking about Yellowstone.

After leaving Yellowstone we went to the Tetons and camped at Signal Mountain Campground, a fairly small and intimate campground. Some sites overlook the water with the Tetons in the not too far distance. They had one site with electricity that filled late due to its price. Again get to the campgrounds early (around 10:00) to get a site. They fill up fast. We were lucky to get one of the last 3 or 4 sites with a 10:45 arrival. People hung around this campground during the day.

Also, the drive between the Yellowstone and the Tetons was under construction. It caused us to arrive at Signal Mountain Campground late. The construction may be completed when you go on your trip but then it may not be. Just a heads-up.

A helpful Tetons link:
http://www.parkcamper.com/Grand-Teton-National-Park/Grand-Teton-National-Park-Camping.htm

Jenny Lake was tent only and I never saw it but heard it was awesome.

Lizard Creek I didn't see.

Colter Bay is huge huge huge. We drove through it just to check it out and look for cool campers after visiting the visitors center.

And here is a link to campgrounds outside Yellowstone.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds-outside-yellowstone.htm

These are pics of the large site we had at Signal Mountain. There was a pine tree in the middle of it.

Build I -- Scenic ---
Goto the Tear Build file

viewtopic.php?t=29603

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby Eunice » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:04 pm

I dont rememeber the name but stayed at a private rv/tent campground about 6 miles from West Yellowstone. It had hook ups (we didnt use) and had great showers. small store
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby ParTaxer » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 pm

I can't recall the name but there is a very nice campground just south of Yellowstone on the way to the Grand Tetons and Jackson. This would be a great place to accomodate both parks. I camped at Fishing Bridge two years ago in June. Woke up to 3" of snow. I also saw a gray wolf run through the campground around 11:30 at night. You are packed pretty tight in this campground. I also camped at a fairly primitive site, although secluded, just north of West Yellowstone. I would allow about a day for Jackson and the Grand Tetons and the rest for Yellowstone. If it is open, a trip through the Beartooth Hwy is a must. It brings you through the Northeast Entrance.
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby Pam Wright » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:22 am

Tom,

A little on your thread, but my 2 cents worth.....

Summer July, 2007 on the way to IRG.... met Sam (the Turtle) in Cody, WY and headed into Yellowstone the next morning arriving 10ish, Fishing Bridge was full and we stayed at Canyon. We shared a tent site, knowing we were only staying one night, the hookups were not neccessary...

See the bottom right picture on page 3 in my album.

My 2 cents, get there early if you want Fishing Bridge, or look at alternative out side the park.....

Enjoy!!!!!

pam
Rocky Mountain TearJerkers
Director

"Be well, Be safe, Be Happy!"

Image"
Pam Wright
500 Club

Postby ParTaxer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

If you go in May, I doubt that reservations are too essential. Checking in at Fishing Bridge is a site to behold. Campers parked three lanes wide checking in at the same time. Also, English is a second language in Yellowstone. I love the place and can't wait to get back.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby john » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:42 am

May? I missed that. Check to see if the roads have been cleared. I'd still reserve for fishing bridge, but otherwise I'd wing it.
Build I -- Scenic ---
Goto the Tear Build file

viewtopic.php?t=29603

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:21 am

I'm considering a trip there next year too. Taking the Northern route to IRG would make for some new sites, and new states to mark off my map.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Fishing Bridge Campground mid June 2007. Tenters were real surprised to wake up to this wet stuff. We gave them towels and wished them well.

ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby DougH » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:35 am

Not sure which campground but this was also a mid June storm in Yellowstone . At the time I was camping in a tent but planned an early morning departure and had taken the tent down to sleep in the back of the van. Great decision on my part :) I headed south to Grand Teton, the weather forecast wasn't looking good so headed south into Utah for a couple of weeks.

Sure wish I had my trailer to sleep in then :)

However much time you have planned in Yellowstone double it. There is a huge amount to see, this is a fantastic place. I also love Grand Teton, scenery is fantastic
DougH
Teardrop Master

Postby KingMick217 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:02 pm

The KOA in West Yellowstone is pretty nice, but they have another one in Red Lodge a scant 60 miles up from the park on Highway 212. If you have problems getting a site during Yellowstone peak months, it's worth keeping in mind. Here is some of the info that I found on it.

50 Amp Service Available
Modem Dataport (no charge)
Wireless Internet Available

Red Lodge KOA
7464 Highway 212
Red Lodge, MT 59068
Information: (406) 446-2364
You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...
KingMick217
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to North Central