Missouri/Kansas group camp area suggestions.

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Missouri/Kansas group camp area suggestions.

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Well it has come up again and we need a list. The North Central comprises a hugh area and a lot of teardroppers. Also seems most of the group area's I find are pretty small.

Looking for lots of suggestions:

Stockton Lake---Orleans trail (haven't checked it out!
http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/st/Camp-OrleansTrail.cfm

Lake La Cyne will allow groups but need reservations.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Nathan N » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:55 pm

We physically explored Missouri's Van Meter, Pershing, Mark Twain, Graham Cave, Long Branch, and Cuivre River state parks looking for something close to Kansas' Crawford group area. I also researched using the web. We did not find any state park with anything close to Crawford. While some of these parks have "group areas" they are either for walk-in tent sites or bunkhouse, chowhall setups.

I find the online reservation system for Missouri's state parks really stinks. Of course the Missouri state parks web site isn't exactly stellar either.

Missouri's state park camping regulations won't allow doubling up on a site.

In our search a U.S. Army Corps of Engineer's site referred me to this site:
http://www.recreation.gov/campgroundSearch.do

One of the search options is group areas. Perhaps that will help?
Last edited by Nathan N on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Nathan Orleans Trail has 12 electric sites and 2 non-electric. It is run by the Corp. ! I just haven't gotten over to check it out. Maybe this Spring. The not doubling up is an issue with us. Seems the bigger the campground the bigger the crowd. :)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Darren » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 am

NEW REGULATION AT LA CYGNE RESERVOIR BANS ALL ALCOHOL
Vandalism, violence cited as reasons for ban

This happened last April and there were 30 or so other parks that made the same rule, mostly fishing lakes. Overall not an impressive park.

I also checked out Cross Timbers State Park in Kansas, they have a group camping area. The group camp is simply a separate area with campsites. The restrooms are the old style with no roof but they do have flush toilets and showers. I looked at my photos and the shower only has 1 water line, probably not hot. :lol:

IMO Crawford has set a very high standard for a group camping setup. I hope there are others out there as nice.
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby Nathan N » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:01 pm

Darren, Amen on Crawford spoiling us.

I never did write up my thoughts on the parks we visited. Location was a major factor in our deciding on Pershing. I think it will be fine for our gathering. The shelterhouses aren't adjacent to the campground and they require a separate reservation fee. The current campground isn't that large but there are long range plans to build a new larger campground across the road to the east. With the economy the way it is it may be a long time off.

Reckon I need to gather some information and explore the Corps sites around the western side of Missouri.
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Some possibilities

Postby Nathan N » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

I started with Miriam's link and started exploring. I didn't include some group sites due to no electricity, walkin, tents, etc.

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Missouri - Stockton Lake

The Mutton Creek Group Camp is located Northeast of the Ruark Bluff Parks and can be reserved under the Ruark Bluff East Campground. It consists of 12 electric sites and has its own private shower building and sanitary dump station.

Ruark West consists of 40 non-electric sites (4 are double sites), 46 electric sites (1 handicap accessible), and 1 group camp that consists of 11 electric sites. The campgrounds amenities include 2 shower buildings and the group camp has a picnic shelter.

The Orleans Trail South campground consists of 45 non-electric sites and 1 group camping area that consists of 12 electric sites and 2 non-electric sites. The campground’s amenities include a sanitary dump station, shower building, boat ramp, walking trail, equestrian trailhead, and wind surfing staging area. The group camp’s amenities include a picnic shelter and a flush toilet.

Missouri - Harry S Truman Lake

Thibaut Point Park

Group Camp A: Facilities include 19 level, well-shaded campsites with electricity and a group shelter complete with lights, electrical receptacles, barbecue grill, and eight picnic tables. Available by reservation only.

Missouri - Smithville Lake

A total of 858 camping sites are available for tent and RV camping at Smithville Lake. Clay County Parks and the City of Smithville operate these sites. Clay County Parks Department operates Crows Creek and Camp Branch Campgrounds and offer basic campsites for $14.00 per night, electric campsites for $18.00, and electric and water campsites for $20.00 per night. Restroom facilities, hot showers and dump stations are available and reservations are accepted for groups. Call Clay County Park Office at 816-407-3400 for more information or visit their website (www.claycogov.com).

Kansas - Pomona Lake

Wolf Creek Park
Group Camp

Fees include $125.00 per night. The group camp has 23 sites with electric and water. There is a large picnic shelter adjacent to the group camp area. This area is reservable from April 1 through September 30.

Kansas - Perry Lake

Shows two group camps but very light on details. Fee is $30 per night. Compared to:
Campsite fees are $18.00 for 50-amp electrical/water sites, $17.00 for electric/water sites, $16.00 for electric only sites and $12.00 for non-electric sites from April 16 through October 15.

So, anyone familiar with any of these campgrounds? Opinions or reviews?
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Mill Creek Gathering Tablerock Lake

Postby queeniejeanne » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:51 pm

Not close enough to kansas maybe but folks have been asking for a "Branson type" Gathering...listed for comments on our site. North Central. Queenie Jeanne
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=34760
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm

:o Clinton Lake Lawrence KS
Group Camping - Bloomington West

This group camp is open from April 1 through October 15 and costs $100.00 per day. There are 30 campsites, without hookups, for up to 150 people, located within a heavily wooded area. Facilities include one picnic shelter, shower building, playground, basketball goal, and a softball diamond. Boat ramp #4 is located a short distance from the group camp for convenient boat launching.

I guess if we don't like electricity............
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby WarPony » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 pm

Miriam, I may be wrong but I think that area is for tent campers only.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Return to North Central