Knob Noster State Park- September 17-19 2010

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Knob Noster State Park- September 17-19 2010

Postby Festus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:19 pm

On Thursday April 22, 2010 7:20 pm Rayvillian wrote: "We'll probably have a gathering some time this fall at Knob Noster which is pretty close to you."

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but Whiteman AFB has scheduled the "Wings Over Whiteman" airshow for the weekend of September 18-19. My son and I are planning on taking our teardrop up that weekend. (Knob Noster State Park is only about a mile from Whiteman AFB.)

If you've never been before, it's a good time. Admission is free, and the Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform this year, along with the Golden Knights parachute team. Here is the air show site: http://www.wingsoverwhiteman.com/

I haven't made reservations yet, I wanted to wait until it's a little closer to make sure the dates don't change, but Knob Noster usually fills up for the airshow weekend. I did get a first come, first serve spot last year, but I got there early (9 am) and they only had 2 or 3 first come, first served sites available.
Last edited by Festus on Thu May 06, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mrs Rayvillian » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:46 am

Gary and I will definitely be interested. We will be at Crawford State Park the next weekend. I am an ex-military brat (Air Force) .. and love going to air shows. We will probably make reservations since we will probably come up after I get off work at 3:00. Trudy
Mrs Rayvillian
Teardrop Master

Postby Festus » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:24 pm

Although the date has been confirmed, the Whiteman AFB home page doesn't have the airshow listed yet, so I'm not making a reservation until it's listed on their site.

I'll post the site number after I make the reservation.

We'll look forward to seeing you there.

Festus
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Festus » Thu May 06, 2010 11:40 pm

Wings Over Whiteman 2010 is a go! I visited with Knob Noster's superintendent last week, he confirmed the date, and now the air show website is up.

I just updated my first post with a link and corrected information.

We have reserved site 19 and will be arriving on Friday. We're looking forward to it and hoping to meet some of you all as well. :thumbsup:

Lynn
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Festus » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:06 pm

The tear is hooked up and ready to roll! I am pumped, the weather is supposed to be beautiful and it's going to be a great time.

I have to wait for #1 son to get out of school, then we're on the road. I hope to be there by 5 pm.

Hope to see some of you there!

Lynn
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nathan N » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:19 am

Festus wrote:The tear is hooked up and ready to roll! I am pumped, the weather is supposed to be beautiful and it's going to be a great time.

I have to wait for #1 son to get out of school, then we're on the road. I hope to be there by 5 pm.

Hope to see some of you there!

Lynn

Have a great time! Got a family event so won't be able to join you this round.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Nathan N » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:19 am

Hey Festus,

How did it go? A bit warm and humid for this time of year. Have any photos? Hope you guys had fun.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Festus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Yeah, Missouri weather.... It was hot, then rained starting about 7:30 Saturday night. Sunday was cooler and foggy. We decided to pull out about 10:30 Sunday morning.

The airshow was good, as always. We got to watch some practice Friday night. The MIG 17 really lights up the night sky in full afterburner. We watched with some concern later on when we couldn't figure out what we were seeing, we thought that a plane was going down. We figured out it was the Golden Knights parachute team's smoke cannister. It looked a lot like a meteor or something.

My son got to take a tour of the Minuteman missile launch center. My wife and I toured it when it was still staffed and they did an actual launch simulation. Very somber mood coming back up the elevator afterwards. It really makes you think.

We were the only teardrop in the campground. We gave a "tour" to the family across from us that owned a big, expensive toy hauler. We got a kick out of that.

I got some airshow pictures, but I realized that I didn't get any camping pictures. Sorry! Maybe I'll see you at Arrow Rock next year, I'll have to see how busy we are at work. I hope to make it!
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nathan N » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:15 am

I heard him flying around and grabbed my camera.

Glad you guys had a good trip although it rained on you.

We would love to have you at Arrow Rock. Keep your eyes open and I am sure there will be another Missouri camp out yet this year.

We aren't that far from you. Where do you prefer to camp at? Got a favorite spot that isn't top secret?

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Postby Festus » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Since I work for Missouri State Parks, I guess I should answer... Missouri State Parks! Each is unique for sure.

Actually we probably have camped at the Saline Valley Conservation area probably more than anywhere. What can I say, it's close to home, free, close to a creek and lots of acres of land to hunt, fish and explore. There are about 8 campsites with fire rings and a lot of tent camping area, plus a pit latrine. No electric though, but we're not fancy and can run off the battery for a couple of days no problem.

We spent a couple of days on the Current River this summer and stayed at a NPS campground at Pulltite, south of Salem, MO. We really enjoyed that. Our site was very close to the river and the sites were far enough apart that it didn't really feel crowded. I would definitely go back again.
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nathan N » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:18 am

Hey, I've been there! Saline Valley Conservation area that is. Use to run the coonhounds down that way. We will have to pick a weekend and have a campout. :thumbsup:

Missouri does have some nice state parks.

Nathan
Nathan N
Lifetime member

Return to North Central