Mount Magazine Arkansas - Who has camped there?

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Mount Magazine Arkansas - Who has camped there?

Postby Darren » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 am

I haven't camped much in Arkansas, usually a stopover on the way to LCG or a car show, so I've been checking out areas to go.

Anyone familiar with Mount Magazine? It's the highest point in Arkansas and the site says it's usually 10 degrees cooler then the valleys.

How about the Hot Springs area? (The new America The Beautiful quarters are coming out and Hot Springs is the first one being released.)

I know of several parks in Arkansas that are highly recommended although I haven't stayed there. Any other parks that stand out? Arkansas really is a beautiful state and there should be more gatherings there...

Thanks,
Darren
Darren
the camper formerly known as Victor Star

Postby madjack » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:12 pm

Darren, while the lodge a Magazine Mt is one of the nicest, bucks up place around, the campground is just kinda stuck off in the bushes...not as nice as it should be IMO...Devils Den SP is a must visit spot as is PetitJean SP, where we have had a gathering before....Lake OuachitaSP at Hot Springs is VERY nice and while crowded in the summer, Hot Springs makes an interesting stopover to visit the baths and National Park...Queen Whilimena SP has a very nice lodge and restaurant but the camping area while nice is small, however, the Talimena Dr is also a must do...my experience at most AR SP's has been very positive..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby iplay10us2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi Darren
Most all of the Arkansas state parks are nice. I agree with mad jack about Mt. Magazine and Wilamena. Their lodges are wonderful. the camp grounds are small and kind of out of the way.
If you want cool evenings you can go to Mt Nebo. Small park with great views. Really neat if the hang gliders are there jumping off the cliffs.
Greers Ferry Lake has lots of Corp parks and the one below the dam on the Little Red river guarantees at least a 10 to 15 degree drop in temps. The water is very cold. Trout fishing can be great. I really like cane creek state park. Lake Greeson in the south west has three corps parks and one state park that are nice. Moro Bay state park in far south arkansas is also a good park. The new state park at Lake Fort Smith is nice. Large sites that are pretty far apart. Lake Nimrod has several Corp parks with great fishing
Lots of parks, so little time.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 am

razorback
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:37 pm Post subject:
Hi Darren
Most all of the Arkansas state parks are nice. I agree with mad jack about Mt. Magazine and Wilamena. Their lodges are wonderful. the camp grounds are small and kind of out of the way.

If you want cool evenings you can go to Mt Nebo. Small park with great views. Really neat if the hang gliders are there jumping off the cliffs.
Greers Ferry Lake has lots of Corp parks and the one below the dam on the Little Red river guarantees at least a 10 to 15 degree drop in temps. The water is very cold. Trout fishing can be great. I really like cane creek state park. Lake Greeson in the south west has three corps parks and one state park that are nice. Moro Bay state park in far south arkansas is also a good park. The new state park at Lake Fort Smith is nice. Large sites that are pretty far apart. Lake Nimrod has several Corp parks with great fishing
Lots of parks, so little time.

Darren; looks like you have got some good advice about camping in Arkansas. The campsite at Mt. Magazine are small in number but great when the weather is hot ( always a cooler temps on the highest place in Arkansas ). I like camping there ( it is only a thirty mile drive for me ) if a site is available. If you do not want to cook the restaurant has you covered ( prices are reasonable ) and has a GREAT view as you dine of the southern terrain of Arkansas 2700 feet below. :thumbsup:

Have fun; Arkansas has some great places to camp!

:vroom: :relaxing: :Flippin Burger: :thumbsup:
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

mt magazine ar

Postby queeniejeanne » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:09 pm

Also will give you our two cent x 2.....we love magazine...also 1st AR state park to serve liquor/wine/beer in the restaurant.....understand so much of the state is DRY (no alcohol sales. period). The campground is well situated and all new as of about 4 years ago...bath house and hook ups. short/long hiking trails. or just sit a while.
We like White River area, also cool on a hot summer day....none of the Buffalo river stuff is close enough to the river to change temp around them. also the only camp with electric at this time is Buffalo Point which is good and has one of the best/highest rated day hike trails in the state...Indian Rock House.....Mt. Nebo is great, also much cooler than below, campground was being up dated two years ago and last year. Of course all props to Petite Jean, tell her hello for us, if you see her ghost,........Jeanne and Dennis
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Return to North Central