Primitive / Boondock Camping

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Primitive / Boondock Camping

Postby youandi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:35 pm

We mainly camp in National Forest Campgrounds (Missouri & Arkansas Area)
Just curious, how many members camp in areas with no electric, no restrooms (Maybe a vault toilet), no water (Maybe water centrally located) ?
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:18 pm

life has gotten in the way too much lately. There are some semi-primative campsites all over MO. They are great and originally for bird watchers.

Mindenmines now has some set up and a pit toilet at the small lake.

KS Mined land has lots of primative camping and boy were they full this year. Almost ever place where a camper or tent would go...... :roll:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:29 pm

The only way to go for me. I use my shower and water, and sit on my throne. :thumbsup:

Scott
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Primitive camping is my favorite! My friends and I have been camping up in Northern PA 6 weekends in the past 2 months. Its about a 3 hour drive, but well worth it! Its free where we go, you just have to register with the forest rangers. The campsite we always get is 7 miles back a dirt road, and is the only campsite on that road. No toilets, no showers, no running water (other than natural springs), no electricity, etc. :thumbsup:

Heres a couple pictures from this past weekend...

my hippie friends... and the galley of the Scuttlebutt in the background...

and the creek...

and fire!!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm

primative camping is primarily what we do. Most campgrounds in the west don't have electric/hookups unless you go to private, which we don't.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby youandi » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 am

Absolutsnwbrdr,

Where is that creek in your photo? It looks like the ones here in the Ozarks. Great Pics!

Alan
"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dreadcptflint » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

We usually stick to the National Forest sites here in Washington. We found that the rougher the road then the better the campsite.

We pack in our own water. (The main reason that my wife wanted a sink in the Teardrop). I upgraded our electrical this year to include a solar panel. I have my sights on a water filter to extend our camping trips even longer.

The only rule that my wife has it that the campground must include a toilet of some kind. It can be a vault. I do carry shovel and TP. There has been times where the outhouse was so bad that I had to use the shovel.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Primative is the only way to go.

Postby gwooden » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 am

National forest campgrounds, the solitude and scenery is unbeatable. No electricity, maybe a centrally located water hydrant, and vault toilets, but we always take the privvy tent with shower and porta-potti.
gwooden
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 pm

youandi wrote:Absolutsnwbrdr,

Where is that creek in your photo? It looks like the ones here in the Ozarks. Great Pics!

Alan

Its a little creek called Rock Run, in Northern PA. My favorite place in PA!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby youandi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Zach,

We are supose to visit family up in Connecticut (2011), I'll give you a shout when it gets close to the date. If it works out, I'd like to check that area out.

Alan

youandi
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 pm

youandi wrote:Zach,

We are supose to visit family up in Connecticut (2011), I'll give you a shout when it gets close to the date. If it works out, I'd like to check that area out.

Alan

Definitely! I have some maps of the area that I could share with you once it gets closer to your trip!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Festus » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:34 am

Some of the conservation areas here in Missouri have campgrounds with vault toilets and fire rings. There is one near our home, Saline Valley conservation area. We have camped there several times.

There seems to be more activity during the summer months. We went late in the fall and had the place to ourselves. Just avoid it during deer season because it's usually full by Wednesday or Thursday before opening weekend.

It's close to the Saline creek and is a fun place to wade or swim, and there are plenty of other things to do depending on the time of year, hiking, mushroom hunting, etc.

There is no drinking water available, so bring your own or bring a water filter.
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TonyT » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:08 am

My wife and I are putting in a primative campground on our place in North Alabama. We are in the Alabama Tearjerkers chapter and have a boondocking event scheduled for Sept 3 - 6. We have only had a few folks out of the Tearjerkers group commit to come but we have some tent campers and hopefully a pop up or two coming.
As far as the campground goes we have built bathrooms with composting toilets and have water to a central spot. We do not have electricity to the campground and I don't think we will run it. Too much $. We have about 4 miles of hiking trails ready now with more to come this winter. We are about 20 miles from three cities, Huntsville being the largest.
If you are interested in coming to this event or just camping anytime let me know. There are more details on the Tearjerker site just look up Bama Boondock. Tony
TonyT
Teardrop Inspector

Return to North Central