Grand Teton Nat'l Park recomendations?

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Grand Teton Nat'l Park recomendations?

Postby WarPony » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:36 pm

I'm looking at going up to this place and want to know if there is a good campground to stay at. I don't have kids so that is something that doesn't come into play. Rafting, hiking, fishing....... sounds good to me.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby JunkMan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 am

Jeff,

We stayed at Colter Bay Village (reservations 1-800-628-9988) when we were there a few years ago. It is a RV park with hook ups, which is run by a concessionere. They do not allow tents, or campfires. If I remember right, the showers were coin operated. Most of the other campgrounds in the park do not have hook-ups, and we wanted electricity. We really liked the Colter Bay area, it has a lot to offer.

We really want to get back to the Tetons and do some hiking. The first time we went, we were actually going to Yellowstone and didn't plan to go to Grand Teton, but some friends talked us into it. We stopped there for a couple of days on the way home, and wish that we had spent more time there.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby AmyH » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:04 am

The Jenny Lake campground, albeit more primitive than the Colter Bay one, is very nice. It is near the south end of Jenny Lake and near a really great hike up to a ridge on the other side of the Lake. We tent camped when we stayed there, and we had a wonderful time. If I remember correctly there are no spaces for RVs, but I think small travel trailers or tears would be fine. Go Here

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby WarPony » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:17 pm

Thanks, Jeff and AmyH. I thought about going up to Jellystone but have heard how busy it is up there. I don't like TOO many people, but I DO like campfires. I'd like to find a spot that will allow them.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby s4son » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:45 pm

WarPony wrote:but I DO like campfires. I'd like to find a spot that will allow them.

That's an understatement. Here's a picture of us standing around Jeff's campfire at the Mo-Kan gathering.

Scott F. :lol:
Are we there yet?
ImageImage
s4son
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:32 pm

:lol: That was funny, Scott!! I'll show that to Anna! I have to admit I am a bit of a fire bug. You ought to see my canoe trip fires........ a little bit of this :crazy: and a lot of :beer: !! Whoop whoop!!
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Dan » Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:28 pm

:) Hi War Pony

You might remember us. We camped across the street from you at the ITG in Minden, Nebraska in June. We had the big screen room.

We worked in Yellowstone Nat'l Park and Grand Teton Nat'l for 6 years. A good place to camp would be Grant Village in Yellowstone. Grant Village is about 30-35 miles North of Colter Bay. It is located on the East side of Lake Yellowstone near West Thumb. The have fire rings at each site AND they have flush toilets (Info for the ladies).

I realize that you posted here about 3 weeks ago. Hope this info is not too late. :thinking:

Jane & Dan
Dan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WarPony » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:17 pm

Yes, Dan I remember you. You had the Moose-Be-Shack. No, you are not too late. I'm planning for next summer and wanted some info from people that have been there.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Dan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:35 pm

WarPony

When you get to Yellowstone/Grand Teton, you need to go to Signal Mountain Lodge. This is located about 3 miles south of Jackson Lake Lodge on Jackson lake. The bar & restaurant there have an "Elk Chili Burger" :thumbsup: that is to die for.

Also, take the road to the top of Signal Mountain - you can see most of the Jackson Hole valley from there.

Have a great time.

Dan
Dan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Keith » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:37 pm

Hi WarPony

After we left Minden last year we went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone. We stayed at Flagg Ranch which is between Grand Teton and Yellowstone. They have hookups and allow campfires. Here is their web site.

http://www.flaggranch.com/summer/activities.shtml

Keith.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby jplock » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:49 pm

I have a favorite spot it is about 30 miles West of Dubois Wyoming called Brooks Lake. It is a beautiful place with good fishing and the pinacles are out of this world! It is not usually crowded because everyone passes by it going to the Tetons and Yellowstone. It has nice pit toilets and running water after July 4th. I have seen snow still lingering in the shade on the 4th of July. It is about 9,000 ft elevation. You can see some pictures from it in my album.
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Return to North Central