What, no gatherings in North Central US

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

What, no gatherings in North Central US

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Ouch ... What, no gatherings in North Central US :frightened:

We just moved to Minnesota (north of the Twinn Cities) from Arizona and were hoping to camp out and meet a bunch of great folks, but no threads since '08 ... I must be missing something! :(

The better half and I just spent a few days north of Mille Lacs at Turtle Lake and met some GREAT FOLKS! Several people stopped by the camp to look at our trailer (a little 6X10 CT) ... they couldn't figure out what it was, one guy thought it was a horse trailer, but couldn't find the horse :lol:

Great folks and we talked for quite a while and looked at my little CT and talked about cost and even comfort. I couldn't compete with their larger rigs as far as amenities, but I sure beat the daylights out of cost and maneuverability 8) ... and comfort is not too bad either :D :D

Are there any gatherings up this way before we all get snowed in?

My wife wants to go down to Rochester area and pay a visit to here late mother sometime in thew next few weeks (depending on when that new grandson makes his appearance into this world); we will probably take the Desert Rat and the cat along and camp out somewhere down there for a night or two before we head home ... Does anyone know of any nice places to camp there and maybe head out and join us?? :thinking:
Happy Camping & Building,
John (JC)

The Arizona Desert Rat 6x10' Cargo Conversion

The FunFinder a 19' Toy Hauler

An AZ Desert Transplant
Gallery: gallery/album.php?album_id=3168
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Re: What, no gatherings in North Central US

Postby Redgloves » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

AZ desert Rat,

Welcome to Minnesota. The Minnesota Tearjerkes chaperter co-chairperson, Tim, lives in North Central Minnesota. St. Croix chapter is a joint chapter between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Tim has hosted a few events north of Twin Cities this year. Betsy, the other chairperson, hosts events in Wisconsin.

Since you are new to Minnesota, enjoy the state parks. Everyone should visit Itasca state park, which is home to headwaters of the Mississippi River.

As for camping around Rochester area, do you prefer state, county, or private campgrounds. How far do you want to drive from campground to attractions?
State Parks: recommend Whitewater State Park which is east of Rochester about 30 miles. Forestville State Park is about 35 miles southeast of Rochester.

County Parks: Chester Woods County park is about 5 miles east of Rochester. Fanstastic campground. You will need reservations for the weekends. Weekdays are open. Oxbow park is about 10 miles west of Rochester, no experience camping there.

Private campgrounds: just south of Rochester is Autumn Woods. There is also a KOA in the area. Along with various other private campgrounds. There are no campgrounds in Rochester proper anymore.

Feel free to send a PM if you would like additional information about the Rochester area.

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:48 am

John,

We post all of our gatherings on the Tearjerker web site. I find that I get no responses on the TnTTT forum for gatherings in our area. Please check us out at the Tearjerker site. We would love to camp with you! You are also welcome to post anytime you camp at St. Croix Tearjerkers. Sometimes the impromptu gatherings are the best. I live very close to you in St. Michael. I am always up for a quick camping trip. I can also recommend some great campgrounds close to us. Send me a PM and I will send you my phone number and e-mail address.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Jean and Tim,
Thank you for the great info and Jean, to answer your question: do you prefer state, county, or private campgrounds. How far do you want to drive from campground to attractions?

I am really new to this type of camping ... I have been camping all my life, but it was off the beaten path with a purpose, usually prospecting. My wife is from MN and wants to get out to some of the areas. I built (or still building) a CT and love it and the ease in getting out ... I am now retired and just want to meet some great people, camp out, and enjoy nature and life itself.

Tim, I'll drop you a PM...

Thank you both for the quick response and I'll check on the sites you sent me! :D
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:43 pm

Dam gathering?
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AZ_Desert_Rat » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi KennethW,
I must have missed something ... Dam Gathering ?? :thinking:
John (JC)

An AZ Desert Transplant
AZ_Desert_Rat
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 pm

It will be Gull Lake on the weekend of 24-26 October
http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 652#p92517
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 am

KennethW wrote:It will be Gull Lake on the weekend of 24-26 October
http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/vi ... 652#p92517

Ken,

Does this mean you are going to join us in Brainerd again this year? :twisted:
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:28 pm

I will be there. If I can. It was fun last year. Hope it's just a little warmed. I will be bringing a propane camp fire.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Not a teardrop event
But if you belong to the K of C there having a camporee this weekend August 22-24 in St. Cloud MN.
for campground info www.stcloudcampground.com
For info http://www.mnknights.org/index.php/prog ... c-camporee
If the campground is full and if they allow I can share my site.
Just putting it out there for the KC's that may want to camp this weekend.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:51 am

KennethW wrote:I will be there. If I can. It was fun last year. Hope it's just a little warmed. I will be bringing a propane camp fire.

Great! I added you to the list on the Tearjerkers forum.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Return to North Central