Walk the Winds Gathering Wyoming July 24-26 2015: UPDATE

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Re: 4th Annual Walk the Winds Gathering Wyoming July 24-26 2

Postby PKCSPT » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:54 pm

I am out. Sent my mom to Alaska with my sister for the summer and now she has had a heart attack. So at my sisters request I am going back up and in no way can now afford this trip. Anyone know a secret to cheap air fair to Alaska? Not like I have 1800 laying around around after paying for her ticket and mine less than 2 months ago? I was so looking forward to this trip, really thought I had a chance this year. Really needed it after all I have been through caring for my parents most of my adult like. You all have a great time, maybe I can meet up with everyone at another get together but I am just ready to sell the tear and give up.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Sorry to hear that :(
At lest you weren't almost to the gathering and had to turn back.
Last February I was one hard driving day into a trip to Florida from Minnesota and received a call that my father-in law was in a bad way(decision time). 2nd day a hard drive back. Saw him that evening and he past that night.
You just can not plan for the unforeseen. :worship:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby raeklo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:20 pm

Robert Smith and Mickey Klorman,would like to attend.My e-mail is [email protected]. My # is 801-643-1096. Please let us know what we can bring. Will there be a pot-luck meal ? items to raffle off ?

Thank You,

Mickey & Robert. :)
raeklo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:43 pm

PKCSPT wrote:I am out. Sent my mom to Alaska with my sister for the summer and now she has had a heart attack. So at my sisters request I am going back up and in no way can now afford this trip. Anyone know a secret to cheap air fair to Alaska? Not like I have 1800 laying around around after paying for her ticket and mine less than 2 months ago? I was so looking forward to this trip, really thought I had a chance this year. Really needed it after all I have been through caring for my parents most of my adult like. You all have a great time, maybe I can meet up with everyone at another get together but I am just ready to sell the tear and give up.

I feel bad for you. I know you wanted to attend, but sometimes life gets in the way. I just commented to someone today that "Parents are a lot of work". But we love them and family comes first. You are always welcome, if something changes.

God Bless.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:48 pm

raeklo wrote:Robert Smith and Mickey Klorman,would like to attend.My e-mail is [email protected]. My # is 801-643-1096. Please let us know what we can bring. Will there be a pot-luck meal ? items to raffle off ?

Thank You,

Mickey & Robert. :)

Mickey and Robert, we are happy to have you attend. There is really nothing to do. Just show up. We split the cost of the site between all of us. Typically it will be 6-8 bucks for the weekend.
We will be posting soon, the meal info. We have a Saturday potluck and a Sunday Omelet breakfast. Other meals are whatever you like. Just watch this tread for more info.

See ya around the campfire!

Steve
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:02 am

PKCSPT wrote:Anyone know a secret to cheap air fair to Alaska?

Pat,

Sorry to hear about your mom. We are taking care of my parents and understand some of the difficulties (along with the joys) that come with that.

Have you tried Sun Country Air? My husband's mom & step dad used them quite a bit for travel to/from Alaska and they are pretty reasonable. They have a terminal at MSP.

Safe travels and good wishes for you and your mom.

Betsey
8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:43 am

Well it's getting close to the Gathering and I have been in contact with Mike (Slowcowboy) Here are some of our thoughts.

Friday we should be able to get into the group site by 1 or 2 in the afternoon. If you arrive before that the gate may be locked. There is a Camp Host/Ranger somewhere in the area. I will have the phone number of the District Ranger Office that should be able to contact him. If I get any better info before we will be leaving for WY I will post it. Mike has a Swedish candle for the fire on Saturday. He is also bringing an axe and a chainsaw for firewood. We will need a lot of wood!

Friday, people will arrive at all different times. There is a large group fire pit that we will try to keep going. Dinner will be up to you. There are several tables near the fire pit and these will be used for meals. Friday can be an informal meet and greet and share whatever is in the coolers, of relax at your trailer.

Saturday we will do a pot luck dinner around 6PM. Since we have a big crowd we should be OK without an organized dinner list. If you have something you know you want to make, post it and I will keep a running list.

After the dinner, Mike likes to do a Coleman or similar lantern light up. If you have a lantern and would like to join in ,please do.

We usually take a group photo after dinner before it gets to dark. This can be used to prove you were actually there. :)

Sunday Morning we will do a group breakfast for those that want to join in. Mike brings a Turkey fryer and we do omelets in a bag. Mike and I will supply all the eggs and fixins for the omelets. If others want to fill in with other breakfast goodies, that would be great. Again, if there is something you want to make or bring, post it and i will keep track of all of it.

Once we see how many trailers we end up with, we will figure out what the cost per trailer is for the campsite. My guess right now is about 6 bucks each for the 3 nights of camping.

The weather has been all over the place this spring. Lots of rain, and right now it is unseasonable warm. So pack for warm days and cool nights and you should be fine. When it gets closer we can update this.

Showers can be had at the Aquatic Center in Pinedale. For those that have not been to the Mountain Man Museum in Pinedale try not to miss it. There is also a Micro Brewery in Pinedale.

We look forward to another fun gathering. It will be great to see old friends and make some new ones. Safe travels!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:37 am

I will bring a chainsaw as well. Cutting firewood is how I enjoy my summers. If there is wood around to cut, I will be on that task. I hope to be there by noon-2pm on Friday. Taking Friday off from work and heading out around 8am-ish.

Still trying to figure out what to bring for the potluck :thinking:
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:52 pm

Steve,

Looks like I should be able to make this camp out. Looking forwards to seeing everybody. :D 8) :)
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Mich, we should be there around the same time. You will be a favorite around camp if you keep the firewood coming. :applause:

Wolfgang, glad you guys will be there, it will be nice to see you both and the puppies!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:08 am

Just realized there is a ton of scrap lumber I can bring for kindling & firewood & use as ballast to get the TD weight distro right. If I can make it (and it appears I will unless Murphy shows up) will dust off & load a few box loads.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:22 pm

That would be great Fred. Step it up into high gear! :lol: I went to one gathering a few years ago. The guy was not quite finished with his trailer, but so badly wanted to come. One of his doors was just screwed closed and his hatch was not skinned yet. So he came with a blue tarp as a hatch. He had a great time, and everyone got to see a mostly finished trailer that week. Now I am not suggesting that for you, but it's always possible!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Walk the Winds Gathering Wyoming July 24-26 2015: UPDATE

Postby Woodbutcher » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:15 pm

I talked to the Pinedale Ranger this morning. The group site we have reserved is rented the 2 days prior to our stay. So that means the gate will be open, the bad news is they have till 1PM to leave. We officially get the site at 2PM Friday the 24th. If you arrive early and the site is empty go ahead in and find a spot to set up. The camp host may be there cleaning up and getting ready for us.

It has been very wet out there so be prepared for rain. It may not happen, but it's best to be ready for it. Slow Cowboy says the weather today was sunny and in the 80's by him and the 70's in Pinedale.

Here are directions that have been used in past years......

OK campers,

Take US 191 6 miles (WYDOT Mileage) or 5 miles (Slowcowboy mileage) :? north of Pinedale to WY 352,Turn north toward town of Cora.
Take WY 352 north, past town of Cora , 14 miles to the New Fork Lake Rd.
Turn right onto New Fork Lake Rd. : NOW, TURN OFF your Garmin, Tomtom, GPS, confuser etc!
IT KNOWS NOT WHERE YOU WANT TO GO!!!!!! :lol:
Procede on New Fork Lake Road for 3 miles
DO NOT TURN RIGHT!! Toward Boy Scout camp

Just a little bit further turn LEFT, just past large brown or green or ???? colored bearproof dumpster.
You will see this sign.....You have arrived, turn left and go about 200 yards into the site....

If Slow gets there first the sign might look like this....

You can do it!!!!!!!
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:01 am

CAN'T WAIT!!!
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby robfisher » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 pm

Is anybody driving through Boise on Friday for this event? Not 100% sure if I can go(based on work orders) but it looks like I will be leaving early Friday morning from Caldwell area. I won't know for sure until Thursday morning. It stinks, I know. But it would be fun to meet up with someone else if I can get away.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to North Central