walk the winds 2016 in pinedale. mark your calenders!

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

walk the winds 2016 in pinedale. mark your calenders!

Postby slowcowboy » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:39 pm

this years walk the winds 2016 will be in the same spot at group site A. at New fork lakes in pinedale in july starting july 22 and leaving on noon at july 24 th.......

mark your calenders this is the official walk the winds 2016 thread..........

we will be in pinedale Wyoming in the pine trees again and it should be like last year forest fire smoke free skyes in july.........we decied to go in july last year because we can beat fire season in Wyoming so peope can enjoy taking photos of the local wind river moutains.

slowcowboy.............your host. a Wyoming native from pavilion, Wyoming.............this will be the 5th annual walk the winds gathering..............come enjoy the moutains in wyomng............
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: walk the winds 2016 in pinedale. mark your calenders!

Postby lee senn » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:32 pm

Was hoping to see this posting ! Count us in as usual. Lee and Norma Twin Falls , Idaho
lee senn
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:39 pm

We, Karen and I, shall be there.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:47 am

I will try and get photos up some time in the near future. but is 3 am right now and I just pulled out of a surgery yesterday at 2pm so when I get better and no pain I will upload a few. all most all my photos though are already on here on past walk the winds treads. just read the past threads and everyones photos will give you a idea on what the campground looks like and its all good information on camping in pinedale and what to expect................like I said we do things different here in Wyoming we don't camp with 120 we have had guys on a breathing apratus last year and they got by no issues on a cheap harbor freight generator. some folks like tv again the gennys work great..............we lay around a lot and enjoy the moutains and we normaly average every year around 20 in camp............its a hole new different way to camp compared to the large gatherings set ups...........so me and sagebrush or will .........like to do things different and keep it relaxing and simple................

we took out the campground this year in july just to get by forest fire season in august and so evrery one can get good photos and not cough on smoke.........and no fire bans so we can dutch oven..............cook...........we love watching the stars at nights and our smallish group one main campfire till like 11 or 10 pm....................its a world here in new forks in pinedale you cant get in a city or at a large gathering...............so its nice and walk the winds has its place

we get new folks every year and a lot of guys like it so much they been here at least 2 years................so its something for everyone in a new different way than most folks are used to .................

slow..........
Plans. there was supposed to be plans to be followed when I built this thing. Opps! AH, gee, tum,tee tum. I think I forgot about the plans 2 years ago. ------Tow vehicles, 1995 ford explore, 1994 ford ranger, 1993 ford F-150, 2009 4x9 Off road teardrop, on harbor freight greatly modified frame.
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 am

you got fancy out houses compared to a farm or ranch form the old days........and they are well good kept up. good joinst most of the ladys are okay with them and no one has griped yet...................if you need a shower the aqutic center in pinedale has some I think they are free don't quote me on that but I know not pricy at all.............and you can unhook the tear and go into pinedale like 14 miles away on good roads its like 10 of good pavement and 4 of good graded dirt roads that any low teardrop can easly navigate or any type of a car.........its why we stay at newrforks..........even when green river lakes Is prettier...

I want to make a traidioton again this year of a conovoy up to see green river lakes and take photos its 35 more miles and a little rough up the road form new forks............not sure but we will just see who has jeeps or suvs and wants to do the trip.............we play stuff by ear at walk the winds....organization is really laid back here.

we got a campground water spigot up at the north campground by the top of the lake.......I don't remember if our group site has one............again n0 120............but no complaints in 5 years at all on this..............everyone seems okay with it........

we got tables nearby for potluck normaly we do Saturday nights and sunday morings breakfast ............I normaly provide farm eggs and the run the rv omlets on sunday moring..........saturda is dutch ovens and any thing else and most nights are group camp fire time..........we also do the coleman white gas lantern light off on the back table of the eating area on Saturday night with group photo.........

new forks is a easy short walk away for folks with kayacks or canues..............people have enjoyed themselves in past years on the lake.....

not sure on milage to Yellowstone or Jackson hole but you can do it in a day...........we have had people do this.............most folks just plan it in and leave out sunday moring after breakfast I do want to ask everyone if they can this year not to pull out to after sunday pot luck.........but most folks just reserve a campground in Yellowstone or grand Teton and hit it on the way home...............its like 90 I think form pinedale...................again not sure on milage but its not way outrageous...........

slow
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:12 am

bears no bears unless its cow bears in camp just ask paul on this............they are angus bears or cows........and we have not had bear problems in 5 years.........we are in bear country and got warned last year by a national forest camp host but again we have yet to see a bear up there. we had deer in 2013 in camp.

bring warm clothes new forks is high in elevation and drops down to like 30...........we might go to 28 but most years is not lower than 32...................day time temps run from 60s up there to 70s maybe 80s on a hot summer..................so you don't need ac here in Wyoming we have no humity and are a dry climate.......but not overly hot like the southwest. Wyoming is dry..............so most rain storms are not all day events..........at the most in the summer time is a quick half hour shower or a hour event.......normaly not rain like back east or Washington state or down south......

bring a a camera.......we got tons of photos ops......we are campng in tall pinetrees in the rocky moutains in the wind river range...........if we don't have forest fire smoke and clear blue skies we got endess photo shooting............in july we have been able to totally avoide fire season............last years walk the winds with out forest fire smoke was so awesome ..................we don't have smog or pollution in Wyoming to...........so mountain air is rather enjoybale.......................not a lot of people out here in wyomming like Colorado...............we are the lasts in population or the lowest state in the usa. uneless Alaska beats us in current census...............so your safe to leave a tear un locked in camp...........be also aware that your safe probably in pinedale to leave a car unlocked while you go in the groucery store for more food.........

.....also some one is always in camp to watch your teardrops so your safe to leave them unhooked and unlocked up in our small gathering....we always got at least 5 people in camp to watch your teardrop for you and the main entrance is right in front we park our tears in a circle by the pine trees so we know instantly if any one not in our group pulls into our gathering site.......

gas can get high in pinedale as it a turist trap and near yellowstorne and Jackson I recomiend toping of you cars gas tank in casper if your coming form back east............not sure from the west coast.........avoid filling up in Fremont county or lander or riverton if you can.............I amit I am not promoting my local turist industry here...........even not kidding Jackson hole can provide cheaper gas than pindale or lander or riverton..........

not kidding on the gas prices.........

casper and Cheyenne are some of the cheapest gas in Wyoming and a lot of the surrounding states....

slow
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby sagebrush » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:45 pm

I will be there Mike. Not sure about Lisa and girl dogs. I havn't got this tablet all figured out yet, :? :shock: . Refer back to 2015 for directions.,they seemed to be pretty good. Not too many lost campers! 8)
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:12 pm

official list so far.

slow ( myself)

will and lisa.

mountain don. and his other half.

this is the list so far on those committed.

slow
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby slowcowboy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:13 pm

list is up dated to lee and norma...........from Idaho. I missed you going though the tread! slow
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby robfisher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:26 am

Hoping this is the year I can attend as well. We are expecting a new grand baby in July as well so I may be going to Texas instead of Wyoming. But I've been wanting to Walk the Winds. Sounds like a fun event.
robfisher
500 Club

Postby sagebrush » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:02 pm

;) I can fold a map so Pinedale is on the way to Texas for you! ;)
Just another service we provide :lol:
Will

sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby slowcowboy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:50 pm

well the count down to walk the winds in july begins if your coming try to start hiting grage sales now and flea markets so you can bring a white gas old coleman lantern to the coleman lantern light off............pruning up my camp cooking going to add cowboy camp coffee to the line up on the pot lucks as well be packing apple pie with me.............that went over good if we get a few people with high clearance cars or trucks or suvs I would like to contune the carvan trip up to green river lakes like last year for photo ops its Wyomings own yosmite look alike scenic spot...........and we can do the mountain man group trip to the mouseman in pinedale too.

if your wanting to see Yellowstone it can be done in a long one day drive from pinedale.............

slow
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Maia » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 pm

I got my tear finished so count me there this year. Can I bring my doggie? I'm new to tears but not camping. Let me know what to bring and stuff like that.
Maia
Teardrop Inspector

Postby slowcowboy » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 am

bring you dog. no issues might want a leash. we got a crowd of dogs at walk the winds theres so many dogs there we resambel a house in for Washakie........... :lol: :lol:
bring a warm coat. and some extra blanket it can get nippy its up in the wind river moutains or the rocky moutains. plan for no plug ins. that means no drops cords unless you bring a generator. we are pretty rustic up here compared to camping back east. its national forest so yea extra toilet paper in a roll. but its all enjoyable. no one has yet to say they didn't like it. I got people that have been here even 3 years in a row. slowcowboy
slowcowboy
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby sagebrush » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:57 am

Yes Doggie, you are welcome to camp with us. Might be best to let Marjorie drive tho :lol: Tell her to bring the Coleman lantern for the light up and a Dutch oven if you use one (and LOTS of treats!) :D
See you all in July!

Will

sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to North Central