Update on '06 Redwood Gathering...

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

Update on '06 Redwood Gathering...

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 11:34 am

I'll be talking with the caretaker of Pamplin Grove this Wednesday.
My kids and I will be spending the night there, which will make it intersesting getting them to school the following morning. :lol:
If it's available, I'm looking at these dates right now... Either July 7th, 8th and 9th or August 4th, 5th and 6th.
I'll be posting some pictures here as soon as possible.
I will be looking at a few other places too, but I'm not sure what's available for a group...
Doug Hodder, Kevin A and Jerome like the idea too and have agreed to help make this happen.
As far as the dates go... If either one of these dates conflict with another event, please let me know ASAP. I wouldn't want to have a conflicting date with anyone.
Stay Tuned for more info...

Postby Rob » Mon May 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Dean--
Will Van Duzen be crowded in July with the July 4th crowd? :thinking: My father's birthday is Aug 6th. I guess I potentially have things going on both those times. Then again, I could bring my folks along. They can stay in the tear and I'll be back in the tent. :? Driving up from Sacramento would you suggest going over to 101 then north or I-5 to Red Bluff and west on Hwy 36? Looks like I'm already planning and it is more than a year away. :roll: First I need to get the tear, and that is just a week away. :)
Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Rob,
I'd shoot over to 101 at Williams on 20 from I-5, then head east on 36 off of 101.
Even if you are on teardrop time, you'll still be able to enjoy taking the older version of 101 along the Avenue of the Giants. The only time I went to Red Bluff on 36 was on a bicycle. (I'm not in that kind of shape at the moment and my bikes have about 1/4" thick layer of sawdust on them right now) :lol:
I'm waiting to hear back from Grant as far as these possible dates not conflicting with another gathering somewhere.
If we select Pamplin Grove, it won't matter how full Grizzley Creek Campground or Swimmer's Delight Campground is because we will be renting the entire campground at Pamplin.
BTW- Unless the Van Duzen River has changed course quite a bit, Pamplin has a great swimming hole.
If we end up doing the event farther north, then I'd say shoot over at 20 if you still want to see the Avenue of the Giants or take 299 at Redding.
I hope to find out about the dates in the next day or two, because I might just have to go ahead and reserve it now to guarrantee it for later...

Postby AmyH » Mon May 23, 2005 3:35 pm

Okay Dean, now I really have to find time to finish my tear, since I can't possibly miss out on this trip!! I have never been to the Redwoods, but I have always wanted to go. I'll be watching for all the details to unfold!

Amy :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 4:04 pm

Amy,
It made me have to set a goal too... to have my trailer finished before then.
My whole objective to doing this gathering is to share the "Redwood Experience" with others, especially those who have never encountered one up close.

BTW- Look at my kids in this shot and compare them to the size of the trees...
(This is from the Bull Creek area along the Avenue of the Giants)

I'll be taking some preliminary shots this Wednesday at Pamplin Grove, but it might be as late as next week before I have a chance to post anything to give people an idea of what this place is like...

Postby catrinka » Mon May 23, 2005 4:55 pm

hmmmm, what state is Pamplin Grove in? Mapquest can't seem to find it. Or should I be looking for a different town or city?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Guest » Mon May 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Cathy,
Mapquest doesn't show an exact location, but if you enter Carlotta, CA that's the closest "town" located nearby. If you continue heading east on 36, it's on the right between Carlotta and Grizzley Creek State Park.
Coming from up north, you would probably hook up to I-5 south.
You would either get on to 199 at Grants Pass, OR which will take you to Crescent City, CA and 101 south. Or you could continue on to Redding on I-5 and take 299 west to Arcata and 101 south. You could also take 1-5 to Red Bluff and take 36 west, but that wouldn't be the wisest of choices.
I would reccomend turning off at Grants Pass myself.
(Then you could stop at Taylor's Sausage Co. in Cave Junction and pick me up a couple of 5lb. bags of smoked beef pollish sausage... best I've found in the whole world) :lol:
I got a bit of outdated info by doing a google on "Pamplin Grove" also.

Postby catrinka » Mon May 23, 2005 6:53 pm

1700 miles, that's doable. See ya next summer!
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Mon May 23, 2005 10:46 pm

Dean,

I was planning on driving to from San Diego Seattle along the coast this year with my tear and stop at Shasta along the way but I couldn't make it happen. I am planning to take the trip next year instead. I haven't been to the Redwoods since 1972 and it would be spectacular to camp there. I was in the Sequoias this past winter for a wedding and it was great (stayed at a lodge though).

Keep us posted!

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 12:22 am

I recieved some important info this evening...
As far as group locations go, Pamplin is our best situation. The county only takes reservations for the current year. The caretaker advised me of camping out the night before at the public works department for the first business day of 2006. (He wasn't kidding) He said it looks like an early line up for a rock concert because of this. I'm not too thrilled about camping out at the steps of city hall right after new years, but if that's what it takes... that's what it takes.
I hope that having to wait until January to announce a confrmed date won't cut anyone too short on early notice...
When I get back from my little recon, I'll post some pictures so folks can get an idea in their mind what the place is like.
The last time I stayed there, some owls "entertained" us right above in the trees...

Postby Keith » Tue May 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Hi Dean,

Just a thought but the beginning of August is Hot August Nights in Reno. I know a number of us from Northern California with teardrops attend it each year. I don't know if there is any type of event going on at the beginning of July.

Keith.
Keith
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Tue May 24, 2005 11:34 pm

I forgot about Hot August Nights... I was thinking teardrops not hotrods. :?
I'm waiting for Grant to get back to me, I'm sure he will have some good advice as when to do it and I can't make the reservation until January 3rd so we'll figure something out that will work best for the majority...

Postby Guest » Thu May 26, 2005 12:25 pm

Greetings From Redwood Country,
I just got back from Pamplin Grove...
The place is ideal for a gathering, there will not be a shortage of room, that's for sure...
I'll post some pictures this evening when I get in...

next summer!

Postby oklahomajewel » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:55 am

Oh that's sounds like a great vacation, and I will hopefully have my 'bredbox' made by then... and have more vacation time from work. I would *love* to see the redwoods and it would be even more fun to be camping there!!

Thanks for setting this up!!

Julie
Oklahoma City

:thumbsup:
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Update on the thread

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:50 pm

8) It's all grown up and is now an official event at the end of July. The Inaugural Redwood Gathering (IRG) will be held at Pamplin Grove in Carlotta, California, July26-31 for the cost of $30.00. Visit the website at
www.pamplingrove.com

Mark your calendars and come and join us for a wonderful time in the tall trees.

The Teardrop Nanny :R
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Return to Suggest a Gathering