A cool place in a hot summer...

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

A cool place in a hot summer...

Postby McTeardrops » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:53 pm

Queen Wilhelmina State Park in Arkansas. Lenny and I just spent a long weekend (3 nights) camping there (in the Tear, of course!) They claim it's 15 degrees cooler atop the mountain than at the bottom. Plus a continuous breeze. We even slept without air conditioning!!!
We had LOTS of people asking about the tear, including a guy who was seriously interested. He even came back a second time with his camera. We refered him to this site, so if you happen to read this, please reply. We'd love to talk to you again. There was also a man at the McDonalds parking lot who had just gotten some plans and was eager to begin. Looks like we're growing in numbers! Joanne
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 pm

I have camped there many times at different times of the year. It is a nice place to camp in a trailer. Tent camping at times of the year can be an adventure when a small storm rolls in. You might find yourself chasing you tent accross the campgrounds with all the things inside ( even well stakes ones, be forwarned ). Here is a link forPark infomation.

:D :thumbsup:

I found a linkOther Arkansas Mountain State Parks. You might find of interest in the adventures in Arkansas.

Pat

P.S. I finally got the URL to work. :thinking: I wonder what I did right this time. I'm getting good at this.[/url]
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:53 am

We should have a gathering in the fall, when the Talimena drive is at it's peak and the colors there at that park will probably be gorgeous. There's already a campout in northern Louisiana for late October though.

Thanks for the report!!!

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:07 am

Sounds wonderful! I'll keep QWSP in mind for when I move to Misery... I mean Missouri... :lol:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Dave Bob » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:42 pm

Joseph wrote:Sounds wonderful! I'll keep QWSP in mind for when I move to Misery... I mean Missouri... :lol:

Joseph

Yep when I was in basic training in the summer of 1975 at Fort Leonard Wood we called it Fort Lost in the Woods in the state of Misery. :lol:
Never say "What else could go wrong?"
Because it usually will.
Dave Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kajamelu4 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:26 am

Joanne,
My son and I stayed there in June while on a geocaching trip. Had several people stop by to look at our teardrop. It's a nice, quiet place to stay. We really enjoyed our time there. (Lots of hiking trails) We went on to Crater of Diamonds State Park from there. We liked it too, however, we found Queen Wilhelmena (sp?) more to our liking.

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Camping this weekend at QWSP

Postby reo-ron » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:23 am

I'm glad more people have found QWSP and enjoy the quiet & cooler atmosphere. This weekend Sept 25-27 the place will be hopping. There is a car show on top of the mountain at the park hosted by Street and Performance in Mena. I will be there with my 41 Ford and 48 Kampmaster Teardrop. If anyone wants to come I'll share my spot as they are sold out for this weekend. 200 or so cars and trucks and mountain top camping --- HARD TO BEAT!
Ron in Tulsa
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Return to South Central