Lunar eclipse March 3rd

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Lunar eclipse March 3rd

Postby McTeardrops » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:25 am

A total lunar eclipse will occur on March 3rd. This seems a good and sufficient reason to schedule a gathering! What would be a good destination for celestial observation? My first thought was Queen Wilhemina,an Arkansas state park near Mena, with a cleared area on a mountain top, but it is not at all centrally located. Any other suggestions?
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby oklahomajewel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:20 pm

Cool !! Up there on the mountain top should be good !!! I wonder if there is not a lot of "light" to interfere with it.

That's about 2.5 hrs for me and it's a Saturday .... so what the heck !
Will the eclipse be that early, early Sat morning or Sunday morning?
Aren't they like 3 am?
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

eclipse

Postby hap » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:28 pm

Darn it! I wont be able to make that date. Could you move the eclipse to a later date? :lol:

Hap in Arkansas
hap
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ARKPAT » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:39 pm

I have been in conversation with them about camping this Summer but if you want for me to check for March the 3rd I can. They have a calendar on their website to check. I have received a very good response from Petty Jean with lots of Info. I have not received a reply Mena as of yet.
:thumbsup:

Birthday Bash
MAR 3, 2007:
2 pm - 4 pm

Join us in celebrating our 50th anniversary by attending special programs, on the history of Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Birthday cake included!

This was from their website Calander.

:thumbsup:

I can check about reservations?

Pat

P.S. I might not have the trailer ready but I will have something to camp in for that time if you wish to go on March 3 weekend I like camping just dress warm for the nights. :snow
If you want a great location and a small amount of people I might suggest Mount Magazine State Park You can see alway across the state from there. Also there use to be Observatory was located on top for Astronomers but was destroyed by vandals. :cry: a few years ago.

Big Cats
FEB 24, 2007:
4 pm - 4:30 pm

Meet a park interpreter in the lodge lobby to learn about these mysterious and often misunderstood felines.
Admission: Free

Butterflies and Wildflowers
APR 28, 2007:
10 am - 3 pm

Celebrate spring on Mount Magazine with butterflies, wildflowers, and trees. Get your copy of the new "Arkansas Butterflies and Moths" field guide and join the author and principal photographer for programs and book signings.

11th Annual Butterfly Festival
JUN 22-23, 2007:

To truly understand and appreciate butterflies, immerse yourself in their natural habitat at Mount Magazine State Park. Activities for butterfly lovers of all ages. Guest speakers and park interpreters lead walks and talks exploring butterfly biology and gardening. Hiking Hint: People usually see more butterflies and other wildlife when they explore on their own in quiet groups of 3-5, as butterflies are startled easily. Children will enjoy make-and-take crafts. Handmade arts & crafts and other festival activities are held simultaneously down the mountain in Paris, Arkansas.

[email protected]

That is their Canander Schedule and it looks open??? Just a few mile east fast for you Julie from I-40 than Mena. :thinking:
Click HERE

From Texarkana, AR the link is HERE
The mileage is about 167 miles. Then east on 80 till you past Blue Mountain then to Havana on Hwy 80 ( I not Cuba but Arkansas ) then North on Hwy 309 north to Mount Magazine State Park great views south as you wind up the mountain ( nothing like is I have seen :-)). About a total of ~200 miles to the park from Texarkana. Sorry Google Maps does not repond to Mt Magazine State Park, AR. The link to Havana, AR MAP is here.[url]
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

The eclipse

Postby McTeardrops » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Julie
Per NASA: the moon rises at 6:13pm; the eclipse lasts 1 hour and 14 minutes, beginning at 7:11pm and ending at 8:25pm.

Hap
The next lunar event is on August 28 of this year.

Pat
I think we'll do Queen Wilhelmina this time. We're more familiar with the area. If campground lights are a problem, there's a picnic area just down the road. Between that and the scenic overlooks, there should be good visibility. Do you think we need reservations this early in the season?
Lenny

[email protected]
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Re: The eclipse

Postby caseydog » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 pm

McTeardrops wrote:If campground lights are a problem, there's a picnic area just down the road.

If campgound lights are a problem, I have a pellet gun. :D

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby McTeardrops » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Spoke with Queen Wilhelmina registration desk today. There are only 4 or 5 campers reserved for next weekend. We'll be in site #14. Hope to see you before the lights go out.
Lenny

[email protected]
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Great I will be busy Saturday but maybe Sunday if I get finished Saturday just drive down. I wonder why they never answered my e-mail?????
Oh well maybe check with you maybe on Sunday weather permitting.

Pat :thumbsup:

P.S. They are the only State Parks Campground that did not answer the ( more than one e-mail ) request for information maybe next year ???
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to South Central