Tiny Trailer Newbie

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Tiny Trailer Newbie

Postby Chris C » Sun May 15, 2005 9:10 pm

I've been casually looking at teardrop trailers for the past few years. Guess you'd say I've got the bug now. :) Haven't decided whether to build or buy used. :thinking: Know I can't afford new. Biggest hurdle is I've never actually seen one in person..........never sat in one, or layed down in one. My curiosity is killing me. :? I live in central Oklahoma and want to know if anyone in my area has one who'd be willing to do a "show and tell" for my girlfriend and me. :worship:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon May 16, 2005 6:47 am

Welcome Chris,

We don't live in OK but will be passing through on the way to the International gathering in Minden Nebraska. We will be traveling up I35 on June 22. Once you see one, touch one, sit in one and lay in one you will definately be hooked. We are finishing up our 2nd teardrop in a year. Built Coca Cola teardrop for a trip to South Dakota last May and now are finishing up a black teardrop for the Minden gathering in June.
To us the fun is in the building.
Good luck,
Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

Postby davel » Mon May 16, 2005 6:55 am

Chris,

Welcome to the forum. Like Linda said once you see one in person you'll be hooked. I thought half the fun was building it the other half is seeing other people's reaction to it. Not to mention how nice it is to camp in.
davel
Donating Member

Postby rjhager » Mon May 16, 2005 9:05 am

Coca Cola Teardrop wrote:We are finishing up our 2nd teardrop in a year. Built Coca Cola teardrop for a trip to South Dakota last May and now are finishing up a black teardrop for the Minden gathering in June.

Don't want to "hijack" the thread but I'm very curious about your new build. (1) Why did you build another so quickly after the first and (2) what do you plan to use for airconditioning in the new one?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Working on a KuffelCreek Comet.
rjhager
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chris C » Mon May 16, 2005 12:23 pm

Linda, thanks for the reply. June 22nd is a long way off and my schedule keeps me busier than a one-armed paperhanger in a paper hanging competition. Most days I meet myself coming around the corner and don't even recognize me! :) But, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it if you'd remind me a couple of days before you leave and I'll try to meet you somewhere. I'd really like to see your "mobile bed"

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Chris C

Postby Chris C » Mon May 16, 2005 12:25 pm

C'monnnnn! Surely there is someone near Norman Oklahoma who has a teardrop I could look at. Think I want to build one, but sure don't want to dive into the pond if I don't even like the water. :lol:

Chris C

Postby Coca Cola Teardrop » Mon May 16, 2005 12:37 pm

Don't want to "hijack" the thread but I'm very curious about your new build. (1) Why did you build another so quickly after the first and (2) what do you plan to use for airconditioning in the new one?

Inquiring minds want to know![/quote]
The Coca Cola teardrop was made out of square tubing which made it rather heavy. We get 10 mpg with our 6cyl truck pulling it. So we decided to go wood like the original tears. We hope it gets better gas mileage. We also like building things. Charles builds metal buildings and I have a wood shop. We like a challenge too. We will use a roof A/C with a heat strip like on the Coca Cola teardrop. Charles has already said something about the next one we build. He will have to take a break because I don't have any interest in working in my shop while a teardrop is in progress. I have craft shows to go to in the fall and need merchandise. LOL

We don't mind questions about teardrops at all.
Linda
Coca Cola Teardrop
Coca Cola Teardrop
Donating Member

TearDrop to look at!!

Postby OkieSailor » Fri May 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Is Moore Oklahoma close enough? Private message me and I will give you my phone number. You can look on my photos to see how far along I am. The photos are under OkieSailor on www.teardrops.us I just added about 20 last weekend.
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Show and Tell

Postby osupete82 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Hi, my name is Rusty my fiance and I are from the Tulsa area. We go camping all over Oklahoma in our newly built tear and love it, we would be more than happy to show you ours and see how you like it. My dad and I built it and have been building them for friends for just more than the cost of the trailer, so if you are interested, I am sure we could work something out to where you could afford a newly built one, just not one of the lot. If you are interested in taking a look at our before you buy or start building your own, shoot me an email at [email protected]. Good luck on your search.

Rusty
We love our teardrop, we are looking for people around the area to go camping with, is there anyone out there?
osupete82
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hoggtyed » Fri May 27, 2005 2:20 pm

So we decided to go wood like the original tears.
Is it legal to build the frame out of wood? Is that safe for 60 to 70 mile an hour travel?
hoggtyed
Teardrop Advisor

Return to South Central