Oklahoma Eathquake

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Oklahoma Eathquake

Postby aggie79 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:12 pm

I just found out about the earthquake last night. :o

Butch, Gary, Julie, Ron and others - Are y'all okay? Please let us know.

(No need for any football references. My Ags ran into a buzzsaw in Norman yesterday.)

Tom
Last edited by aggie79 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:30 pm

My mom lives just north of Durant and she was saying about 10:30 she notice that her house was shaking and the dogs where nervous. She said it was kind of weird to go through.
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 pm

:? You missed the fun. 10:53 pm and the whole house started vibrating for about 30 seconds. Some weird stuff. Found out a few minutes later it was in OK. So glad everyone is ok over there. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:25 am

I always found it amusing that people out here are afraid of earthquakes, and people out California are afraid of tornadoes. One of the problems on here however is that they don't build to earthquake standards. Two of the jobs that I had that stand out in my mind were inspections on two similar buildings one a high-rise in Portland Oregon and the other the government Center in Toledo Ohio both similar in size but very dissimilar in construction.
The building in Portland had full penetration welds in all of the beam to column connections with the bolted connections as backup in case the welds failed. The building in Ohio is not one you want to be around if there's an earthquake using only bolted connections with exterior prestressed concrete panels attached using only small fillet welds which it will shed like a deck of cards.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Lookfar » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Didn't notice it here, Tom. Then again, I was most likely asleep in my recliner at the time. Haven't been in an earthquake since living in CA in the 70's - don't miss them. It wasn't until I'd moved here that my brother told me we live on a fault line.
Butch
Lookfar
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm

I was driving home when it made it's way down to this area but my next door neighbors said he thought someone was on the roof and the cabinet doors vibrated open. I wish I woulda felt it, the bad ones I will go ahead and pass on....
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby oklahomajewel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:49 am

Yep ... this one actually was a shaker . 10:53 pm , the epicenter was in Prague which is about 30 or 40 something miles east of me , and I'm about 15 miles east of downtown OKC. We were here at my house and at first thought it was the washing machine off kilter and banging , and I got up and headed to the laundry door, then realized no , not that ... Kenny then said no it's an earthquake. I touched the cookie sheet shaking on top of the stove and it was just .... weird .
5.6 I think .

Then guess what happens in Oklahoma today ? !!! Tornadoes over west of town, near Ft Cobb ... and POURING rain this evening ... then around 9 pm ish I'm at the 2nd job and me and the manager both notice a noise and some shaking .... what do you know ? A 4.7 earthquake or aftershock ... and now there's flash flooding from the rain .
Wow ....

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to South Central