campgrounds

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

campgrounds

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:06 am

any advice or suggestions for a stop over around amarillo texas? could be before or after, just somewhere around there, as that will be about our stop for the night time frame.

but if there is nothing in that area, any suggestions will do along the route of 40.

thanks so much.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:15 am

...just a good spit from Armadillo is Palo Duro Canyon,,,the Grand Canyon of Texas...well worth stopping and devoting a couple of hours taking the Canyon Drive...highly recommended...........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:44 am

thanks madjack! that looks perfect.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:28 am

eaglesdare wrote:thanks madjack! that looks perfect.

If your timing will not allow Palo Duro Canyon, there is a really nice State rest stop East of Amarillo on I-40.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Woodyperk6 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 am

madjack wrote:...just a good spit from Armadillo is Palo Duro Canyon,,,the Grand Canyon of Texas...well worth stopping and devoting a couple of hours taking the Canyon Drive...highly recommended...........
madjack 8)

Eaglesdare, in the Amarillo area we have Cashcow,Edevans, & Harold Butler. You might send one of them a PM to keep track of weather conditions in the canyon. It's beautiful place to camp but not sure how snow or rain affects camping in the canyon this time of year.

Are you just passing thru the Texas Panhandle?
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:46 am

hubby and i are in the discussion/planning stages of a trip from the east coast to the west. we only have 2 weeks to pull it off. we won't be doing this trip til after school, summer time. but i am leaning a bit towards the day after my son gets out, sometime in june.

so the texas part is sort of a pass thru. actually i can see the whole trip as a pass thru. :lol: sort of like chevy chase vacation. stop look go.

so this area just might be one of those wing it parts. spend time at palo duro, or just use the state rest stop. its nice to have the options.

jss06: do you have a more specific location for this? or is it a normal rest stop type place?
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:13 am

eaglesdare wrote:jss06: do you have a more specific location for this? or is it a normal rest stop type place?

http://www.txdot.gov/travel/safety_rest_areas/map.htm

This is one of the new saftey rest stops in texas. Very well lit and nice facilities.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Depending on your direction of travel (east or west), if yer just lookin' for a nice, peaceful place to 'overnight', 'bout 60mi east of Amarillo is Lake McClellan Recreation Area, part of the McClellan Creek National Grasslands, administered by NFS. NO shopping/grocery facilities nearby but campsites are nice, level graveled areas with tables'n grates, 17 sites w/elect, & nice, clean toilet/showers (individual/family type) especially in the loop at west end of the park. The west loop is surrounded by lots of nice mature trees near the small lake. Apparently a fire several years ago nearly decimated the park but it has been 're-habbed' with little evidence of the fire except for some old 'downed' tree carcasses in the area. We've spent a night there a couple of times when we couldn't 'make' our destination further east or west & have thoroughly enjoyed it. Once was in June & the last time in July. The weather was nice & we enjoyed the shade & the local wildlife (deer, rabbits, etc.). We've since decided that'll be our overnight stop when going to visit Lenora's family in Arizona. Just take FM2477 north off I-40 & it's a couple of miles to the c/g. If ya hafta get supplies before stopping, best places are McLean 'bout 20mi east or Groom, a dozen miles west on I-40.

Our campsite in July 2010 on our way home from Cloudcroft gathering
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Woodyperk6 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:53 pm

thanks so much nobody! i will add that to my list.

thanks woodyperk6, i am bookmarking that one.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Gwood » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:13 pm

I make the trip every year from Dallas to Colorado and Amarillo is my stopping point also.
Since all I really want is a place to park my trailer and sleep, I always pull into the Walmart right off the freeway in Amarillo. They are RV friendly and there are usually about 10 other RV's parked there also.
Make sure you have shades on your windows though, the parking lot lights are pretty bright.

George
Gwood
Teardrop Builder

Return to South Central