Bastrop State Park?

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Bastrop State Park?

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:09 pm

Next November, I may try to combine my two of my favorite passions - Formula 1 autoracing and camping.

The US Grand Prix will be held in Austin November 16-18. We are thinking about camping at Bastrop State Park. About 2/3 of it was devastated by wild fires last year, but I see that the State has opened one of the camping loops.

Can anyone report as to how the park looks?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:44 pm

Haven't been there in a few years, I don't know if it was affected by the fires last year. McKinney Falls would be closer but I can't comment on it since I've never been there.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby chorizon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 am

We drove through there last weekend.

I grew up a couple of miles from the park and we decided to go check out the devastation when my parents came to town for New Years.

It was strange, especially seeing our old house levelled.

There was a happy discovery however. Apparently we signed our names in the concrete when the slab was poured. It was a nice surprise because here it was 30 years later and the only way it would have been visible would have been if the house were completely wiped off the foundation. Kinda weird but it made us happy to see that I guess and realize we still had each other no matter what.

Parts of the park have changed considerably.

Some are still closed off and the surrounding area looks like a lunar landscape.

Other parts aren't so bad.

The recent rains seem to have revealed that many trees although burned, are still alive and coming back.

If you show up and its not up to your liking, Beuscher SP is right down the road and its really nice, too.

Actually Park rd. 1C connects the two parks and has always been a nice drive.

Now its very interesting transition from the burned-out areas in Bastrop to the still pristine areas in Beuscher.
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks asianflava and Joshua.

We usually take a hill country vacation every 2-3 years and have been at Bastrop and Beushcer parks several times. I knew that Bastrop had been hit hard by the fires, but I didn't know about Beuscher. It's great to hear that the rains have brought out some tree and vegetation growth.

Thank y'all for the information.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am

I think we're taking a day trip to check out McKinney Falls, Bastrop, and Beuscher state parks today or tomorrow.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby chorizon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:06 am

The weather is going to be perfect this weekend.

I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on these parks as they're not discussed very much here.

If you make it to Beuscher today be sure and check out Zimmerhanzel's in nearby Smithville for some good BBQ.

Have fun!
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:53 am

If you're coming from the Metroplex, there is a Salt Lick in Round Rock right on 79 next to the Dell Diamond. Wouldn't be too much of a detour. I've never been there because it opened after we moved. Too bad because it is only about 5mi from my old house.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

aggie79 wrote:I think we're taking a day trip to check out McKinney Falls, Bastrop, and Beuscher state parks today or tomorrow.

Well, as many things are lately, our plans got changed for us and we didn't take the road trip. Maybe in February I'll have a report.
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby Todah Tear » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I saw it featured on a TV show last weekend and thought, "That might be a great place to camp."

Here is a YouTube video of the park. It's not the tv show that I saw though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8MdNlyPjvw&feature=youtu.be&list=PL97C99D8AB6E729E5

Todah
"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2 Image
Todah Tear
Platinum Donating Member

Return to South Central