Location of weigh scales

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Re: Location of weigh scales

Postby asianflava » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

I titled and registered mine as a "Travel Trailer" hence the need for certified weight. Registering it as a "Homebuilt Trailer" is easier and cheaper (no certified weight, etc), but I went the TT route because of the possibility that I'd give it to a sibling, none of which live in TX. Never thought we'd be moving, but since I had the title it was no problem when I registered it in Colorado.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:43 am

2bits wrote:Wow, I did not realize you needed tags AND inspection just like a car. :? Good call on the trailer-only decision Tom! I'd get it weighed just for fun tho!

Thomas,

I do plan on weighing it just to know how much our teardrop weighs. I don't think that it weighs too much. Before I totaled my CR-V, I took the SB around the block several times, and hardly noticed the teardrop was back there.

I have another alterior motive for finding out the weight. After sitting for about two years, the Dexter torsion axle has "settled" about an inch. There still is about two inches of suspension travel and plenty of clearance between the tires and the fenders, but the tail does drag sometimes over gullies. The axle I used had a 10-degree up start angle and I had it derated to 1400#. I'm thinking about changing it to a 10-degree down start angle. If I do change the axle, I want to know what the actual weight is.

The last reason for getting it registered is that I am considering a second build and don't have the room for a teardrop trailer and build #2. If I do decide on a second build, I probably will put the SB up for sale. We've got to have something for camping, so I won't offer it for sale until #2 is campable. All this stuff is way premature though even though it fun to think of the possibilities.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dennis8152 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Tom, i registered mine last week as a home built trailer, which it was, and it cost me $54 bucks. She ask the weight empty and the weight full. I was still around 1500 pounds max. She then ask what color it was. Black. This was in Garland next to South Garland High School. The line was out the door and still only took 30 mins. Pretty easy I thought... :applause:
Dennis

"Deep in his heart, every man longs for a battle to fight,
an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue." ~ John Eldredge [Wild at Heart]
Dennis8152
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:05 am

Texas does not require an inspection on Travel Trailers if the GROSS weight is under 4500 Lbs. I researched this when I was registering my trailer last year.

I titled and registered mine as a travel trailer just in case I ever decide to sell it.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 am

jss06 wrote:Texas does not require an inspection on Travel Trailers if the GROSS weight is under 4500 Lbs. I researched this when I was registering my trailer last year.

I titled and registered mine as a travel trailer just in case I ever decide to sell it.

Was the process the same just with out an inspection?
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby jss06 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 am

Step 1 - go to the local county offices to get all the forms. Make sure they understand it is for a home built travel trailer. You will also need to get a temporary use permit. They have them in either single trip or 30 day. I got the 30 day permit so I would not have to worry about timing of my trips.

Step 2 - get the trailer weighed. I tried the truck stop scale but the trailer was too light and they could not get a reading. I found a local scrap metal recycler who was able to weigh the trailer and provide me a certified scale ticket for $7.

Step 3 - Get the trailer inspected by a law enforcement office and have them fill out form 68-A. Either go to your local vehicle anti-theft task force or police if they do the inspections. For Dallas and some surrounding communities that would be through the Dallas County sherrif's office which does inspections every other week by appointment only. Bring all the receipts you have but especially for the axle. It took longer to answer the inspectors questions about building the trailer than to actually do the inspection. They will give you a form certifing the trailer and its components were not stolen.

Setp 4 - go to the REGIONAL DMV office (for Dallas and surrounding counties that is in Carrollton), with the form the police filled out and gave you. You will need several good photos of the trailer. I took photoes I printed on my ink jet with me. That took about 10 minutes and $2 to get the VIN. You must stamp this VIN into the frame before you file the title and regsistration.

Step 5 - Go back to local county office with all your paper work collected above and file for the Title and registration. This took about 20 minutes and I walked out with the temporary title and the license plate. Paperwork includes title application, weight certificate, recipt for the VIN, Pictures, Affidavit of home built trailer (I dont remember the form number for this.) Including the title applicaiton fee and registration this was $90.50.

This took A full day of running around to accomplish. But I think it was worth the effort to get a title and VIN for the the trailer.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Location of weigh scales

Postby Fishingtomatoseed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks for the details.
Fishingtomatoseed
Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 pm

aggie79 wrote:
2bits wrote:Wow, I did not realize you needed tags AND inspection just like a car. :? Good call on the trailer-only decision Tom! I'd get it weighed just for fun tho!

Thomas,

I do plan on weighing it just to know how much our teardrop weighs. I don't think that it weighs too much. Before I totaled my CR-V, I took the SB around the block several times, and hardly noticed the teardrop was back there.

I have another alterior motive for finding out the weight. After sitting for about two years, the Dexter torsion axle has "settled" about an inch. There still is about two inches of suspension travel and plenty of clearance between the tires and the fenders, but the tail does drag sometimes over gullies. The axle I used had a 10-degree up start angle and I had it derated to 1400#. I'm thinking about changing it to a 10-degree down start angle. If I do change the axle, I want to know what the actual weight is.

The last reason for getting it registered is that I am considering a second build and don't have the room for a teardrop trailer and build #2. If I do decide on a second build, I probably will put the SB up for sale. We've got to have something for camping, so I won't offer it for sale until #2 is campable. All this stuff is way premature though even though it fun to think of the possibilities.

Take care,
Tom

Hey Tom, I knew there was something more to your thought! My axle was 10' Down derated to 1500# and I think the trailer was pretty light and it towed well, but could have been derated to 1000#. I liked it though. Just think, if you make the change, you can keep the old axle for the new trailer and save some bux...

I didn't worry about title issues when I sold mine but I think it is a valid concern although it is a compensation in values in advance and in anticipation of others, but it might broaden your buyer base. I was lucky. I would just tell them to register it as a home built utility trailer and save both of you the hassle. Most teardropper personalities would get that.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby asianflava » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:10 pm

jss06 wrote:Step 1 - go to the local county offices to get all the forms. Make sure they understand it is for a home built travel trailer. You will also need to get a temporary use permit. They have them in either single trip or 30 day. I got the 30 day permit so I would not have to worry about timing of my trips.

Step 2 - get the trailer weighed. I tried the truck stop scale but the trailer was too light and they could not get a reading. I found a local scrap metal recycler who was able to weigh the trailer and provide me a certified scale ticket for $7.

Step 3 - Get the trailer inspected by a law enforcement office and have them fill out form 68-A. Either go to your local vehicle anti-theft task force or police if they do the inspections. For Dallas and some surrounding communities that would be through the Dallas County sherrif's office which does inspections every other week by appointment only. Bring all the receipts you have but especially for the axle. It took longer to answer the inspectors questions about building the trailer than to actually do the inspection. They will give you a form certifing the trailer and its components were not stolen.

Setp 4 - go to the REGIONAL DMV office (for Dallas and surrounding counties that is in Carrollton), with the form the police filled out and gave you. You will need several good photos of the trailer. I took photoes I printed on my ink jet with me. That took about 10 minutes and $2 to get the VIN. You must stamp this VIN into the frame before you file the title and regsistration.

Step 5 - Go back to local county office with all your paper work collected above and file for the Title and registration. This took about 20 minutes and I walked out with the temporary title and the license plate. Paperwork includes title application, weight certificate, recipt for the VIN, Pictures, Affidavit of home built trailer (I dont remember the form number for this.) Including the title applicaiton fee and registration this was $90.50.

This took A full day of running around to accomplish. But I think it was worth the effort to get a title and VIN for the the trailer.

These were my experiences with the process:

#1 I actually used my trailer for a couple gatherings with one trip tags before I got real tags for it. Temp tags aren't a problem to get other than the wait in line.
#2 I had the same problem when I weighed the trailer by itself. I ended up putting the car on the "steering axle" pad and the trailer on the "drive axle" pad.
#3 I called and setup an appt on my day off. The Deputy showed up at my house the next morning because he was in the neighborhood. I wasn't even awake when this happened (I worked graveyard), my wife handled it before she went to work. He looked underneath and said, "Oh this is a custom frame with a new axle." He asked where the parts came from, she said that I bought it. He gave her a new form and signed it because she didn't know where the one I started was. He didn't even ask to see receipts.
#4 you have to go to the DMV office, not the place where you get your tags renewed. Mine was in North Austin only a few miles from my house. I stopped at a strip mall and had Wal-Mart print out a picture from my memory card. While I waiting for that, I walked next door to a PostNet to get the form notarized. Went into the DMV (it was called the VTR office when I did mine) and got my paperwork. Went home and stamped the VIN on the tongue.
#5 Went to the tag office and there were a little dumbfounded. They had to get the supervisor to verify that I had all the proper forms. I guess thy don't have that too often. To my surprise, nobody verified the VIN during the process. I could have easily stamped it incorrectly.

Did 1 and 2 one day, then had to wait for 3. This is the key because you cannot proceed without 3. 4 and 5 were done same afternoon.

Some links, mind you I did this in 2005 so some things may have changed (like form numbers). Linda's post is more recent and she wrote an excellent outline on the process.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4823
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9990
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22044
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Previous

Return to South Central