Extremely new to this great hobby!

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Extremely new to this great hobby!

Postby gager2002 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:26 pm

I only stumbled upon this and other great sites while looking for a neat way to build a small trailer for camping gear and since I hate hunting and camping in the rain, I thought if my cargo trailer is bug enought why not put a mattress in it just in case. And this is where it lead me to. Wow these little guys are pretty cool. I have already started modifying a jet ski trailer I had in the back for a while. It's a galvanized steel tilt trailer. I don't need the galley, I have a neat camp chuck box setup that I use. So since my 11 year old daughter goes hunting with me, I thought, having another bed in the rear. Definately a removable bed,(rails set in slots, to hold the foam mattress cut to fit) to open the end for gear to transport. Think of this the rear end boxed off, not a teardrop, which add room for the bed clearance. The bed support would be where the galley normally would be heightwise, and would lenghtwise be from the rear almost up to the door opening. This would only be to store gear and sleep on these trips. Below the second bed and at the foot of the lower bed would be a storage box accessable from the rear, via a rear door.
I'm even thinking some neat decor like a hunting lodge on wheels. Maybe some antlers mounted on the front outside. lol Maybe not.

Anyway, what do yall think? Thanks
Richard
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby gager2002 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:28 pm

Oh btw, I am and avid designer. If anyof you need something modeled or blueprinted, e-mail me. I have beed using AutoCAD for 2D for 12 years, and SolidWorks for 5 years for solid modeling.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:21 pm

Richard,

First, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have been infected by the teardrop bug, for shure! I know it started like that with me, all the planning and scheming on how i could do things, etc.

I would suggest you take your time, read on this forum a lot and get what information you don't have, or what you want. I guarantee any question you could ask has been asked several different ways and answered with at least ten times that many opinions. Then after you have absorbed all that, come to one of our gatherings and take a look at all the different ideas in real life.

Again, welcome to the forum and welcome to the madness.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gager2002 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks, the bug is contageous!! I am excited. Ready to start working.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 pm

gager2002 wrote:Oh btw, I am and avid designer. If anyof you need something modeled or blueprinted, e-mail me. I have beed using AutoCAD for 2D for 12 years, and SolidWorks for 5 years for solid modeling.

How about sharing a model of your new teardrop design? And just for grins and giggles, email me the parasolid export so I can play with it!

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby davel » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:49 pm

Let me also welcome you to the group. You have quite a few down in your area that have also been bitten by the bug.
davel
Donating Member

Postby randy chesnutt » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:21 pm

welcome to the forum, if you need help with your project let me know, i live in humble by the airport glad to help.
randy chesnutt
Teardrop Master

Postby gager2002 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks to al of you. Let me go ahead and tell you all, I don;t access the internet on the weekend unless the honeydos are caughtup and the kids are gone. I am typically on 7: to 5: Monday thru Friday, while at work. I have 3 monitors, so the internet is always on one of them. So I take a while to answer on Friday it may be that I am gone and not back until Monday.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby stjohn » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:29 pm

3 monitors 1 keeps me confussed most of the day :?

have a nice day
Only he who attempts the ridiculous
Can achieve the impossible
stjohn
The 300 Club

Postby davel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:04 pm

You must be a programmer or system admin person.
davel
Donating Member

Postby gager2002 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:30 pm

I am a mechanical designer. I use several drawing and designing packages as well as drawing file management systems and the internet all day long. So 2 screens (21") are dedicated to the drawing screen and the toolboxes and the other (19") is the internet and data management. I use the internet to communicate across the world to my customers. It saves time, money, and mistakes, being able to e-mail and instant message with them. Not to mention being able to be on site like this and still get my work done.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby davel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:14 pm

That sounds like a cool setup. What did we do before the big monitors.
davel
Donating Member

Postby gager2002 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:49 pm

I don't know, but I sure am spoiled with this.
gager2002
Teardrop Builder

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:56 am

gager2002 wrote:I am a mechanical designer. I use several drawing and designing packages as well as drawing file management systems and the internet all day long. So 2 screens (21") are dedicated to the drawing screen and the toolboxes and the other (19") is the internet and data management. I use the internet to communicate across the world to my customers. It saves time, money, and mistakes, being able to e-mail and instant message with them. Not to mention being able to be on site like this and still get my work done.

Welcome abord gager2002.
I too do Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing engineering/design. That sounds exactly how my day goes. I use mostly autocad2006 and microstation v8 for my drawing. I always have to remember to turn the caps lock off, so people don't think I am shouting all the time. I only have one 19" monitor, I think I need to talk to the owners about that one. :lol:
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Return to South Central