South Central Check in!

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

South Central Check in!

Postby aggie79 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 am

Brad,

Before replacing the catalytic converter, you may want to you may want to check the oxygen sensor(s). I don't know the Toyota arrangement but most converters are pretty easy to swap out. (On the other hand the oxygen sensors can be a bear and you usually need to get a special tool/socket.). If you replace the converter you should probably replace the sensors too.

I once had a VW Passat with a high-perf V-6. It had 4 catalytic converters that needed to be replaced at a cost of $300 each - ouch!

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Re: South Central Check in!

Postby 2bits » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Tom, After the spark plug blew out of my engine on the Ford, the raw gas went down the exhaust and messed up the converter. the truck would run but you couldn't put it under any load at all. Of course you couldn't just buy the converter, you had to buy the converter and the entire exhaust system that bolted to the engine (who designs this stuff??). That was my last straw, as if a spark plug ejecting from the engine wasn't enough LOL... I traded it in instead of fixing it. I can't recall how much but it was like a grand or something.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:46 pm

aggie79 wrote:you may want to you may want to check the oxygen sensor(s).
Actually, I replaced those about 20K ago. The one ahead of the cat died on one of my trips to Kaleefoornya, and I replaced both when I got back. It's not too bad a job if the exhaust system is cold.Running at freeway speeds with the front one dead might have used up some of the cat's nine lives.

aggie79 wrote:and you usually need to get a special tool/socket.

Just happened to have one of those.

It's left over from Career #3.
:roll: Don't be that impressed. It only proves I was good at passing exams. It makes a nice toolbox ornament, though.

aggie79 wrote:I once had a VW Passat with a high-perf V-6. It had 4 catalytic converters that needed to be replaced at a cost of $300 each - ouch!

:frightened: Eek! The Assistant Tow Vehicle is a Passat with the turbo 4. Actually, 4 x $300 = $1200 is about what I'm bracing myself for when I take the truck in. I have no idea what the actual cost might be. $300 would be too good to be true, I think.

2bits wrote:After the spark plug blew out ...

:shock:

2bits wrote:Of course you couldn't just buy the converter, you had to buy the converter and the entire exhaust system that bolted to the engine (who designs this stuff??). ... I can't recall how much but it was like a grand or something.

That's about what I'm expecting.

I took on the easy job first, and got a new radio for the Taco. :thumbsup: Also, 4WD High tested successfully. :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Today, on day 3(or 4?) of the radio install, I finally got that finished to my satisfaction. :sweaty: Saving the cost of the install probably made me minimum wage. It all reminded me of why I'm glad I retired from career #3. :relaxing:

Now I have this new-fangled one-knob radio to figure out. What's up with that? A proper radio should have two knobs. Harumph! :fb

It's got an iPod hookup. Now I need to get my iPod organized. The chief cause of problems is solutions. :fb

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31 am

capnTelescope wrote:
:roll: Don't be that impressed. It only proves I was good at passing exams. It makes a nice toolbox ornament, though.

Brad,

You're a man of many talents! I am impressed. :applause:

BTW, I've picked up a consulting gig. It's only for a couple of small projects, but I'll have an income stream through June.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby capnTelescope » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:25 pm

aggie79 wrote:BTW, I've picked up a consulting gig.

:P :applause:

Congrats! Now, all you have to do is start lining up the next gig. You're not off the treadmill yet. :lol: What line of work are you in, Tom?

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:38 am

Tim,

I am glad to hear about the job even if it is not long term it will at least keep the ball rolling!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:18 pm

capnTelescope wrote:
aggie79 wrote:BTW, I've picked up a consulting gig.

:P :applause:

Congrats! Now, all you have to do is start lining up the next gig. You're not off the treadmill yet. :lol: What line of work are you in, Tom?

Brad,

I know many wouldn't call it a profession, but I'm a city planner. This is career #2+. I have worked as a planner and managed planning, building inspection and/or code enforcement functions for several cities for a couple of decades.

Career #1+ was in the commercial building and construction project management field. I loved the work, but didn't enjoy the feast or famine nature of the work, and having to move every couple of years to find/follow the work. Along the way I picked up a commercial driver's license - but lost it in the change to national CDL - and heavy equipment operator certification, primarily rubber-tired equipment but some track equipment. That is the "+" part. I spent a little over a decade in this career not counting pre-college employment. (Prior to college, I was a panel saw operator in a cabinet shop, and worked for concrete company and stone yard, construction laborer (concrete and rough carpentry crews), old-fashioned manual drafting.)

I'm working now on two assignments as a contract city planner.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
Build Thread

aggie79

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 am

aggie79 wrote:I know many wouldn't call it a profession, but I'm a city planner.

I'd call it a profession.

(edited)

I'm still glad you found a gig, though. :thumbsup:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Wow

Been a while sence I have posted anything 8)
I'm still alive and still moving ---- just slower :oops:
Trailer has been setting for two years waiting to get out and camp :twisted:
I have a new axle and tires on it ( straight 3500# Dexter ) with spring perches to fit the HF frame ;)
Full - size 15" truck tires and rims on the axle ;)
Steel bought over the last two years to make new door and hatch door from =)
I plan on doing some camping in 2015 ......... somewhere this year :lol:

I glad to see old freinds and many new one still on the forum posting :thumbsup:

ARKPAT
PS: Thanks Mike for reseting my password ---- yes it has been a while =)
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 am

Good to hear from you ARKPAT - it's been a long time since we have heard from you - glad you are doing fine :thumbsup: We are finally finished with the major snow storms and what is left is melting away. The total for the season was 115 inches! Our plan is to attend Beaver's Bend gathering this April for our semi annual trip down South. Looking forward to seeing our Southern friends!
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby Nobody » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:55 am

Doggone Pat, wuz beginning to think you'd left us. Sure glad to see you're still around. Stay in touch!
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:01 am

starleen2 wrote:Good to hear from you ARKPAT - it's been a long time since we have heard from you - glad you are doing fine :thumbsup: We are finally finished with the major snow storms and what is left is melting away. The total for the season was 115 inches! Our plan is to attend Beaver's Bend gathering this April for our semi annual trip down South. Looking forward to seeing our Southern friends!

Apparently the snow is still not over for you North Easterners?
More in the forecast.....but hang in there! Spring is only a couple of days away!
Happy St Patrick's Day :beer:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby ARKPAT » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:45 am

Thanks a bunch old friends and hope to meet the new ones :thumbsup:

I know the campsites at Bever Bend are full ------ so I may come down and visit anyway to see you as it is only 125 mile trip from home --- and may reserve a site for 2016 with Linda =) Still have the old trailer "Black-box" with no windows ( yet ) and plan on widening it about 12" -18" and may do a complete rebuilt ( with help from friends ) on a complete new box on the same HF frame ( that has been highly modified like "Nobody's" original HF frame was =)
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mechmagcn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:16 pm

ARKPAT wrote:Wow

Been a while sence I have posted anything 8)
I'm still alive and still moving ---- just slower :oops:

Good to hear from you Pat, was just thinking of you a few days ago. Come on down and visit, be good to see you again.
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to South Central