Oklahoma State Parks Updates

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Oklahoma State Parks Updates

Postby 2bits » Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 pm

This is a cool "official" site that gathers all the latest news and updates about Oklahoma state parks right here as a handy reference. From extreme water levels to updates on new facilities in our parks, here's all the latest buzz... This was really helpful to me when it came to status of facilities.

http://www.travelok.com/state_parks_update

If anyone find similar sites for any other states in the South Central post em here and I'll change the title from Oklahoma State Parks Updates to just State Parks Updates!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: Oklahoma State Parks Updates

Postby oklahomajewel » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:07 pm

The only crappy thing about that is that not all parks are on it ( most COE parks are on Reserve America) AND Oklahoma is stating there is a non refundable reservation fee, some as much as $8. :(
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Here's Louisiana State Parks:
http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/index
Links to announcements, reservations, individual parks.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:56 pm

Thanks Brad!!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 am

I've made two separate overnight trips to Oklahoma the past two weeks and stayed at parks which do not accept any reservations - strictly first come, first served.

Quartz Mountain State Park north of Altus has a limited number of RV spaces with electricity and water and when I arrived about noon on Thursday all were occupied but few people were present. Park personnel said it was common for campers to come early for the weekend, drop their trailers to save a space, then return Friday through Sunday to camp. There were more tent sites, and almost all were vacant but only a few were vehicle accessible. The others varied from 10 to 50 meters away from the parking area. Water and restrooms were available nearby but no electricity. It worked fine for me as I do not need water or electric but I do prefer to drive up and I had an ideal spot. One reason for the popularity at Quartz Mountain was the lake was full after several years of drought.

Doris Campground in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge has about a hundred great spaces with a mix of tent and RV sites in adjoining loops and all the tent sites are drive up just the same as the RV, minus electricity. I arrived fairly late on a Thursday and was concerned but not to worry - probably less then 10 were occupied.

In both instances it was over 100 degrees in the daytime, but at night sleeping in my hammock I needed a blanket in addition to having my clothes on.

I highly recommend both for outstanding hiking, rock climbing, and sightseeing, and in my case on-road motorcycle touring within the parks. For fishermen, Wichita Mountains has 15 small lakes to choose from and powered boats are prohibited.

About this time last year I spent several days at the former Platt National Park, now Chickasaw National Recreation Area. They do accept reservations and have a variety of campsites, but as usual I just arrive and take my chances, and again no problem.

Will be headed east next to the Ouachita and Ozark National Forests and will be utilizing dispersed camping sites so again no reservations. I'm pretty flexible and can sleep in the trailer, on the trailer, in a hammock nearby, on the ground, or in the car as I did at Beavers Bend a couple of years ago when I arrived well after dark and couldn't find any camp sites. There were vacancies but I did not want to disturb other campers so parked in the loop of the tent sites.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Return to South Central