Copper Breaks State Park, TX

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Copper Breaks State Park, TX

Postby jss06 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:05 pm

heading to Copper Breaks this weekend. Yes I know it is forecast to be the hottest days of the year so far. Figure I will get up early and go hiking or biking and spend the afternoons in the AC comfort of the trailer.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Copper Breaks State Park, TX

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:49 am

I can't say I envy you in this weather but you need to get up real early at Copper Breaks. I can appreciate that many of the local parks are still closed from the spring floods and the ones that have reopened are overcrowded from pent up desire so you have to cast your net a bit farther from home to get a decent spot.

I did have a nice shady one at Copper Breaks but w/o electricity. I stayed one night in April and the next at Caprock Canyon on my way to Palo Duro which I did not make and plan a do-over on that trip this fall. At Caprock a tremendous nighttime thunderstorm filled the canyon below my campsite, overflowing the bridges which took till noon the next day to clear, thus cutting short my time to get to Palo Duro.

If you've never been to Fort Richardson SP they have several nice sites along Lost Creek and a fairly extensive trail network for bikes.

Enjoy your trip and wear lots of sunscreen.

Here's some Copper Breaks pics:

M C
Last edited by M C Toyer on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:52 am

Enjoy! I had a fire last night and it was very pleasant, the days are the only beatdown so good idea to nap or watch a movie in the camper in the triple digits!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby jss06 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Fort Richardson is nice but I wanted to go somewhere I have not been before. I grew up going to Childress all the time andI have seen the signs for this park but have never been there. At least I know what to expect from the heat. I was born in Vernon and grew up outside of Wichita Falls. This is normal summer weather.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:24 pm

jss06 wrote:Fort Richardson is nice but I wanted to go somewhere I have not been before. I grew up going to Childress all the time andI have seen the signs for this park but have never been there. At least I know what to expect from the heat. I was born in Vernon and grew up outside of Wichita Falls. This is normal summer weather.

Copper Breaks is a nice but somewhat small park and the lake should be a lot higher now. There are plenty of trails and some very challenging for a mountain bike.

I rode the Hotter'N Hell 100 in Wichita Falls many years ago but that's not something I would ever do again.

I usually take my bike and my motorbike and with the new build my kayak but all my adventures are at a slower pace now.

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Return to South Central