Caprock Canyon State Park

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Caprock Canyon State Park

Postby M C Toyer » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:24 pm

Copper Breaks, Caprock Canyon, and Palo Duro State Parks in northwest Texas make a great road trip for a week or an extended weekend and are only 2-3 hours apart.

These pics are from Caprock Canyon in April. I arrived late afternoon from Copper Breaks and the Ranger said there was a 20% chance of rain overnight.

All the drive-in spaces were occupied because of a Bob Wills festival in nearby Turkey so I opted for a walk-in at the far end of the park. I use my Kamp-Rite tent cot when I can't sleep in or on my trailer and was able to locate it partially under a shelter on the canyon rim about 1/4 mile from the parking area.

20% chance of rain turned out to be almost 3 inches with 60 mile an hour winds and a tornado a few miles away.

Fortunately I had lashed the tent-cot to the shelter. Fellow next to me had a medium size tent and it blew away while he sought safety from the storm in his car.

Could not get out of the park until noon the next day because the flooding in the canyons left debris on all the bridges and washed out sections of asphalt overlays.

The mist shrouded hills did provide the closest thing you'll see to Rocky Mountain scenery down here in the flatland:

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Re: Caprock Canyon State Park

Postby jss06 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Great Pictures. I really liked Caprock Canyons when I was there last year. I need to schedule a trip back.

I am heading to Copper Breaks tomorrow for 2 days of hot camping hiking and bike riding.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Caprock Canyon State Park

Postby 2bits » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Wow. Amazing photos! Yeah that was one heck of a rainy season we had this year!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to South Central