Wolf Creek Park, Lake Livingston, Coldspring, TX April 8-10

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Wolf Creek Park, Lake Livingston, Coldspring, TX April 8-10

Postby 2bits » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:51 am

It seems that happily, the TnTTT, SW Teardrop n Vintage Trailer and the Texas Vintage Trailer Club are all intermingling like we are all in the back of a Good times van in 1975 so I am posting this link below for the Wolf Creek Park rally at Lake Livingston of the Texas Vintage Trailer Club. The host Teresa Coats does it like Linda does Beaver's Bend and reserves all three full hookup loops out of her own pocket at the park with 30 sites, so you do not reserve at the park, you pay her directly. This club only meet twice per year at the same two sites and I know Teresa and a few others from that group are planning to attend the Tyler gathering in March which is turning out to be a big one so I think it is a nice intermingling that has already begun and possibly a resurgence of the movement.

This one is two weeks before Beaver's Bend so there's no conflict or back to back camping weekends to it or the Tyler gathering so you might give this one a try and it usually sells out. For those worried about does their camper "qualify" I CAN say that while they love vintage campers, they also love cool people who just want to camp just like this TnTTT group has many who do not have a teardrop or tiny trailer.

Activities are the same: Group photo and Pot Luck. They do tend to have more individual campfires I've noticed but they have an awesome group fire pit right next to the pot luck site, so I think with a proper application of high explosives we can gather a nice crowd!
:twisted:

Please post your questions related to the event to the FB event page below for and I am merely the messenger and not the host but I am happy to answer questions to as I've been to the last two gatherings and it is a really nice park and a really nice drive down. All event, pricing ($20/ night), location, etc info is on the page, and please post here if you are going! I am in Site 20 and to those who are rain weary, sites 20-30 are on the high ground (see attached map) but all sites drain off pretty quick

https://www.facebook.com/events/805669312877497/

Be aware there is an "Open House" on Saturday as this is billed a trailer rally like a car show where visitors come to view the cool campers.

17 of the 30 sites have already been reserved so snooze or loose!
Attachments
Wolf Creek in Coldspring.jpg
Wolf Creek in Coldspring.jpg (142.22 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: Wolf Creek Park, Lake Livingston, Coldspring, TX April 8

Postby caseydog » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:38 pm

My family had a lake house down there for years, about a half mile from Wolf Creek Park. My dad kept his boat in a slip there all year, and I brought my boat and SeaDoo down there, regularly. It is a big lake. The park is also in a wildlife preserve, so if you get away from the crowds, you can see some deer, foxes, and other critters. On average, we had at least a dozen deer walk through our yard every day. The foxes are mostly grey foxes, but I did encounter a red fox once -- it was an incredibly beautiful animal. We were about 50 feet apart, and we both froze, and just stared at each other.

The park gets really crowded during holiday weekends, but should be okay in early April. Lots of kids. It is also popular with boy scouts -- just sayin'. :twisted:

To get there from DFW, you'll want to go through Point Blank from Huntsville on Highway 190, not through Coldspring. But, Coldspring is where you need to go for a real grocery store. There is a bait shop a few miles from Wolf Creek Park that is well stocked with cold beer, ice and other "necessities."

If I can make it, I will. I still have some neighbors down there I haven't seen since we sold our property.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:21 pm

This will be my forth year, so I have my route planned and I come prepared with necessities! Since the groups reserves all three loops there is really no one around but the group since the other loops are not distant, but not local either, would but good balloon fodder but this group is a bit more tame and laid back than us trouble makers haha Maybe I'll take an exploration tour this year, I've only really stuck around the group sites in previous years. There's typically not a group campfire like we do although it is encouraged.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Only two sites left!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby caseydog » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:00 am

For those of you who like golf, there is an outstanding golf course near Wolf Creek Park, at Cape Royale. That is where our lake house was. I never played the course, because I suck at golf, but it looked pretty awesome.

I am going to do some research to see if I can get a decent deal on a boat rental, probably a party barge. I'm pretty sure I can get a slip at Cape Royale for little or nothing, and I know that lake like the back of my hand. No promises, but if I can make it work, we can do some boating. Lake Livingston is a Constant Level Lake on the Trinity River, so it is always navigable.

We owned property down there for 20 years, but my dad had to maintain it -- a house and three lots. I was just too far away. It got too much for him in his late seventies, and we had to let it go. I miss it, but I just couldn't make the four hour trip often enough to help my dad with the upkeep of a house, four lots, and a boat.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:37 am

Teresa's husband (They are the hosts of the rally) always goes golfing Saturday morning so I bet that is where he goes, I think that's a big incentive for the rally location hah... plus they live in Cleveland which is close by. He is actually the Mayor of Cleveland but it's a small town and he's regular cool person. The loops that are reserved are right next to the boat launch/dock so that would be cool. I am in site 20 right across from the beer store LOL... Pot luck at 6pm, thunderstorms at midnight!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to South Central