LCG XI - Caney Lakes - Beaver Dam

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

LCG XI - Caney Lakes - Beaver Dam

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:19 pm

...sorry for not being around put personal issues have taken a hard toll on Marlene and I.

I see folks asking about another LCG...well, as has been stated, the LCG started as me going camping for my birthday and 60 folks show up to help. It turned into such a success, we decided to try and keep it going for 10yrs...which has happened.

I will be camping on my birthday BUT, after 10 yrs with 6yrs of no water on Lake Bistineau, I wanna camp somewhere else...I am going to check out a NFS campground just north of Minden(no, not Lake Claiborne)...I will be traveling up there within a week and make a decision at that time...2 lakes(with water in them),each with their own campsite loops, full hook ups, bath house and even a dump station for the Casita and TTT owners.

Dates...I would much prefer to do this on the 27th(my actual birthday) thru the 31st of Oct, however, this has interfered with some folks BIG Halloween celebrations and we would possibly(maybe) be open to doing this the previous weekend, the 20th to 24th...your input on dates would be appreciated.

More specific details will be forthcoming within a week....

...with much love for all of you from Marlene and...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: LCG XI

Postby Nobody » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:08 am

Great to hear that you're still campin' Jack. I'll be watching closely to see what you can set up.

I'm up at this time of morning after suffering a 'panic attack' a while ago. When that happens I can never go back to sleep for at least an hour or two ('til my pulse slows back to normal). It's nearly 4am & we hafta get up at 5 'cause Lenora has an Opthalmology appt in Little Rock at 7:45 so I can't take the pill prescribed to get back to sleep :NC . Dunno if this is part of gettin' old but if so I don't think I like it. Guess it beats the alternative tho...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Sounds good jack. Pick a spot and time, give me a months head start and we'll be there.

Gary and Trudy
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby Bald Cypress » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:14 pm

Jack, If you are talking about Caney Lake, you WILL NOT be disappointed. Excellent campgrounds great lakes for paddling and Trails for hiking. :thumbsup:
Bald Cypress
Teardrop Builder

Postby reo-ron » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey Jack! Glad to hear you're looking at lakes with water!! Let me know when and where and I'll see ya there. Can't miss another old mans birthday party!! :D
Ron in Tulsa
Old cars, trucks, trailers and scooters - bought, sold, traded and enthusiastically talked about.
reo-ron
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:31 pm

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/southe ... aver%20dam

OK, I went up to the Beaver Dam CG on Caney Lake this past weekend...what beautiful spot to have a gathering...125(orso) acre lake, perfect for those who may wish to kayak or canoe. 28 campsites with water and electric, large paved pads with nice adjoining, graveled area for picnic table, lantern hook and fire ring...it does have flush toilets and showers BUT, this is a NFS campground and they are minimal but serviceable with just a single male and female toilet and two unisex showers at two different locations...folks who just havvta be near one of these facilities should look at sites 11-14 or 19-21...

Keep in mind, the park is fairly spread out and heavily wooded, all sites have a lakeview except those from 22-28, which are very private and in the woods on the way out of the loop.

I am going to shoot for site number 16 which is part of a cluster of about 5 sites(14-18) which would make a good central gathering area...reservations cannot be made until 6 mos before hand(think, end of April)...as far as I know, half of the sites are reservable and the other half are first come, first served...there is a second loop called Turtle slide, but it was closed for the season and is more primitive with no hookups at the sites and gravel pads, it does have flush toilets and showers...if demand appears to be high enough, I will contact the FS and see if would be possible to get them to open this loop.

...let me know if you have any questions and more info will be posted as time travels along...

...see ya around the campfire...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mechmagcn » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:30 pm

Sounds good to me, post a definite date and we'll be there.
Or another thought, since I am now the maintenance supervisor for Moro Bay State Park in south Arkansas,........... But I guess then it couldn't be LCG. :oops:
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Harvey, getting older is truly great, since you know more stuff...but all that decrepitude stuff stinks...all I can say to you and Lenora is to keep on truckin' and hope to see ya soon(and again and again)........

Gary, it is always great to see you and Trudy and certainly look forward to the seeing y'all at the end of October........

Baldy, I camped at Caney when in the Boy Scouts(50yrs ago) and it is still as nice as I remember it...no disappointment here.........

"Super" Jeff, while I certainly have every intention of making it up to Moro Bay, I think I am going to camp at Beaver Dam for my birthday...tell Micki to bring her dam dog with her(after all it is Beaver DAM CG)........

...to all others, this is certainly NOT an LCG...the Louisiana Cypresswood Gathering is and always will be associated with Lake(dry) Bistineau in my mind...this is just me going camping for my birthday.......

madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:50 pm

Jack, which weekend have you decided on? I visited the website for both Caney Lakes Recreation Area, & Beaver Dam NF C/G, & the info on there says you can make reservations up to a year in advance. Maybe they just ain't up to date?? Also, which of the campsites are reserveable? They don't say on the site & no indication on the map (at least I didn't find it). Maybe they just reserve 'til half is filled up? Lenora & I have discussed making a 'day trip' down there to check it out, maybe sometime later this month. Lenora has a Lasik procedure on her right eye Friday so this week is out but we'll try it before Beaver's Bend... ;)
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 pm

madjack wrote:this is just me going camping for my birthday.......

Maybe we should change it to MJB XI. Then it can be anywhere MJ likes! :D
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby 2bits » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 pm

I updated the calendar calling it" MadJack Birthday Campin' (The gathering formally known as LCG) :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby madjack » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Harvey, I called the reservations.gov website and it is they who told me the 6mos deal...when we were at Beaver Dam CG, there was a reserved/open tag on the different sites...didn't think to copy the numbers down...the nice girl from Wisconsin told me that the specific sites could change at different times of the year(she didn't know specifics)...

I like MJB XI :lol: :thumbsup: ...and formerly known as............'

Thomas, thanks for puttin' me on the calendar........

madjack 8)

p.s. as far as I am concerned, it will be Oct 27-Oct31...that is Thur-Mon, we will probably be there a day earlier and stay a day or two later........mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:19 am

Thanks Jack, we'll try to get that weekend when they open up for reservations. Still gonna try to check out the C/G before Easter.
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby millerworks » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:40 pm

well good thing you decided to change it. After all of the flooding, Bisteneau will be shutting down, anyway
millerworks
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tommy2tone_1999 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:38 am

Keep an eye on the Louisiana Legislature. As part of the huge deficits, one idea to save money is to close some state parks.
Make time for fitness and it'll make time for you.
http://TommyDoran.com
http://tommydoran.com/favor
Interview: http://goo.gl/Non1oR
Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58395
Come find me on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/tommy.doran
Tommy2tone_1999
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to South Central