Aluminum suppliers

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Aluminum suppliers

Postby AmyH » Thu May 03, 2007 4:30 pm

I thought I would ask my fellow Northwest members if anyone knows of a place to get 5' by 12' sheet aluminum that is less than .050 thick. I have tried contacting Metals Supermarket, but they can't get that size through their suppliers. I have checked with Alaska Copper and Brass, and they have them in .050, but that seems like it would be too thick for me to deal with. I also thought of getting the trailer coil stuff, but Danny didn't have a great experience with Western Trailer Supply (the stuff comes off the coil pretty scratched up). I checked on the SAF site, but I didn't find any in that size. I am about at wits end trying to find a supplier, and I am starting to think I have to give up the idea of having an aluminum roof on my trailer.

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a good place to pick up aluminum extrusions in 12', or longer, lengths. I know I can get it through SAF or even through Metals Supermarket, but it would be nice to know if there are other options.

Thanks everyone.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu May 03, 2007 8:30 pm

Amy,

I don't know if this will help, but it is another place to look.

http://www.interstatemetals.com/

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Thu May 03, 2007 8:42 pm

Thanks John, that might actually help. They have roofing coil, and if they can manage to cut it without scratching it up it might actually work for me. And, it looks like they can deliver up to Seattle. I am going to give them a call tomorrow to find out more.

Thanks again!
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Thu May 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Amy,

Let me know what they say, I'm going to get the continous roof too. I'll have to trim it down, but after some of the stories on the forum about scratches, I'm a little concerned, I think it will be soft enough to polish, but would be nice to not have to do that.

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Thu May 03, 2007 11:41 pm

John, I plan to call them tomorrow while I am at work, so I'll let you know what I find out. I see that Milwaukee, OR, isn't too far south of Portland, so if it sounds like a good deal I may plan to make the trip and pick it up myself. I'll post a reply once I have chatted with them. Just out of curiousity, would you go with the .040 roof coil or the thinner stuff (can't remember how thin it was)?
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby AmyH » Fri May 04, 2007 11:31 am

So I called Interstate metal today to find out about their roof coil. It turns out that their aluminum comes off the roll pretty scratched up, so I don't think it is going to work for my needs. Anybody have other ideas? Anyone had experience bending .050?
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Fri May 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Amy, I believe that Gage used .062 and Sonnetpro used .050...I just don't think you will have problems with the .050, bending around your radius'es(or would that be radi-i)....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Jack J » Fri May 04, 2007 6:24 pm

I bought my aluminum from:

Specialty Metals Co.

(800) 323-7732
8300 S 206th St
Kent, WA 98032-1214

They are between Kent and Renton on the East Valley Hwy. I am not sure what they have for 5X12 but maybe they could help with locating some if they don't have it available from them.
I dealt with them in 1999 and they were quite helpful with what I needed. I had two 4X10 sheets and one 4X11 sheet that was used for the top of the TD. The hatch cover sheet was a smaller section. They sheared it to the length I needed. I used .032 thickness aluminum and it contoured to the top without any kinking. I was fortunate to be able to borrow a large flatbed truck to get my sheets home.

Hope this helps,

Jack
Jack J
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Alaska Copper & Brass 3223 Sixth Avenue South, Seattle has 5'x10' 5052 .050 aluminum. They will apply the vinyl protective sheeting on your order for an additional 10 cents per sqft. :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Try these guys

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Try these guys. I got great service here in the LA area. There is a big price break at 100# so it may pay to buy more than you actually need as 5 sheets of .040 5X12 5052 were cheaper than 4 sheets. Strange, but true.

http://www.copperandbrass.com/cnb/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby cablerunners » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 am

Hi All,

Interstate Metals is a great resource!

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

I went there and bought the aluminum molding 1905 Corner Insert and for the roof edge of my tear and it looks great.

They cut the molding to deminsions I wanted. I'm sure they would for shipping as well.

They also have Diamond Plate Aluminum in 48" widths... who knows my tear may have looked alot different had I known.

-phil
cablerunners
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 am

I have an order coming from them too for the 1904 insert molding and door drip rail. After the $15 charge for an 8' shipping tube and shipping charges they are still about 25% cheaper than the crooks in this area who charge twice as much. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Re: Try these guys

Postby G-force » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:32 am

Do they have a wherehouse in the greater Los Angeles area? Got an address? Thanks.

Mike

eamarquardt wrote:Try these guys. I got great service here in the LA area. There is a big price break at 100# so it may pay to buy more than you actually need as 5 sheets of .040 5X12 5052 were cheaper than 4 sheets. Strange, but true.

http://www.copperandbrass.com/cnb/index.htm

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gus

Mike
G-force
Teardrop Master

Copper and Brass Sales in So. Cal.

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 am

Here you go.

http://www.copperandbrass.com/cnb/about ... wUS-CA.htm

Los Angeles
13338 Orden Drive
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Telephone: 562-623-4444
Sales: 800-926-2600
Sales Fax: 800-926-8310

Fresno
5450 E. Home Avenue
Fresno, CA 93727
Sales: 800-926-2600
Sales Fax: 800-926-8310

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to North West