Looking for hiking/camping ideas: SW Oregon, N CA, N Nevada

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Looking for hiking/camping ideas: SW Oregon, N CA, N Nevada

Postby jmtk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:10 pm

We've got a two-week trip coming up and are looking for fun sightseeing, camping and hiking ideas. Here's our general itinerary:

From Salt Lake City head across northern Nevada to Crater Lake NP in Oregon. Then down to the Redwoods in northern California, hitting Oregon Caves along the way. We'd like to spend some time on the coast, too. Then hit Lassen Volcanic NP and possibly Lake Tahoe on the way back home to Salt Lake.

We're traveling with our (almost) 7-year old son, so are looking for things that will be interesting and fun for him.

We'd also appreciate any tips on nice campgrounds (we like the small, lesser-known hidden gems, not the KOA types where you camp in a sea of monster RVs). I've got Ludlum and Pamplin Grove on my list already. Any idea how crowded these national parks are this time of year?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Just did it

Postby Guy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:51 pm

Dear Jeannette

Thanks to Dean, Kevin, and Joanie I just did that and had a great time.

First of all, you cannot camp at Pamplin Grove since it is only a group site, however, you can camp in another part of the same park at Swimmers Delight, which has a beach also. The first place to go on the way down is Patricks Point, right above Agate Beach, which will provide a 7 year old with endless hours agate and shell hunting on the beach.

Two other great places were Hidden Springs State Park on the Avenue of the Giants. That had a short hiking trail to a fabulous beach on the river and it is the cleanest campground I have ever seen.
Next, is the unforgettable Lost Coast of California at the mouth of the Mattole River and the start of the Mottole trail. Right on the Ocean the Mattole Trail is one of the five best hiking trails in America. The campsites are free, right on the ocean, with bathrooms . Kind of windy but worth it. Lots of seals to keep you child interested.

Here are some pic, "cuz everyone loves 'em!

Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jmtk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:52 pm

Wow, Guy! That's exactly the type of info I was hoping for! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks so much for the tips! I also appreciate the heads-up that Pamplin Grove is for groups only.

Thanks again!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 am

Jeanette,
When do you expect to be in No.Cal.? Perhaps we can get another small impromptu gathering together at swimmers delight, it's virtually next door to Pamplin Grove and has plenty of redwood trees.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby rbeemer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:34 am

Jeanette,

Instead of staying at Crater Lake I would try to Stay at Diamond Lake- State Forest Campground with showers some sites right on the lake and during the summer the rangers sometimes to shows- last year they had the wolves out and were giving a talk at night.

NCAL - Manchester State Beach - State campground right behind a KOA and with 7 miles of driftwood, fort making can be a blast, there is also a lighthouse in Point Arena(3 mi south) that has a campground but I think you can go into the lighthouse.

Salt Point is another good state campground, with lots of hikingin the forest or along the ocean
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

gathering

Postby Eunice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:36 am

Kevin A wrote:Jeanette,
When do you expect to be in No.Cal.? Perhaps we can get another small impromptu gathering together at swimmers delight, it's virtually next door to Pamplin Grove and has plenty of redwood trees.

this would be fun. Be sure to let all of us in Humboldt area know if this is going to happen.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby jmtk » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:43 pm

Kevin - I PM'ed you with some schedule info. It'd be fun to meet you fog-crawlers! :lol:

Rick - Thanks for the tip on Diamond Lake. Our son loves anything canine these days and would really enjoy a talk about wolves, if we'd be so lucky as to catch one while there! I bet he'd enjoy the driftwood and light houses, too! Thanks for the ideas!

Question about bring food into CA - don't they confiscate fruits/veggies at the border? Anything else? What about meats and veggies that were cooked at home and packed in the cooler? I have a really restrictive diet and we typically bring a lot of foods I can safely eat when we're traveling, but don't want to overstock if they're just going to take them away when we come into the state.

Thanks!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:47 pm

jmtk wrote:
Question about bring food into CA - don't they confiscate fruits/veggies at the border? Anything else? What about meats and veggies that were cooked at home and packed in the cooler? I have a really restrictive diet and we typically bring a lot of foods I can safely eat when we're traveling, but don't want to overstock if they're just going to take them away when we come into the state.

Thanks!

Jeanette

...just don't tell 'em...or keep a sacrifical bag of veggies(in the car) ready to hand 'em........................ 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jmtk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:01 am

madjack wrote:
...just don't tell 'em...or keep a sacrifical bag of veggies(in the car) ready to hand 'em........................ 8)

MJ - That doesn't work when you have a talkative kid in your car! We went into Canada a year ago and our niece was riding with us (her parents were in the car in front of us). My then 5-year old son announced to the customs agent, "We didn't kidnap her!" :lol:

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:43 am

Jeanette,
Is your husband on a restrictive diet too?
If not, take him to Taylors Sausage in Cave Junction when you're near the caves. I reccommend he get a smoked beef polish sausage sandwich.
(He can also buy 5 lb. bags of 'em too)
After the caves and once you're heading south on 199 be sure to stop along the Smith River at either Stout Grove or Jed Smith State Crampground... This will be your first tastes of the redwoods.
The Smith River is one of the prettiest rivers around.
If you want to cut over early to 101 and head north to Ludlum or Harris Beach in Brookings, OR you can save some time by taking North Bank Rd. at the Hiouchi Bridge... but that's only if you wanna head north on 101. (199 merges with 101 a few miles further south from the Hiouchi Bridge.
OK... All done in Oregon and 199.
There's a nice little campground just south of Crescent City as you start up the hill... It's called Mill Creek. After you go up and over that hill, take a break at the mouth of Wilson Creek... Nice ocean view.
Around the corner from that you pass the Trees of Mystery.
They have a tram thing that takes you up into the trees... Never done it, my kids have and they say it's cool. Myself, I prefer to stay at the gift shop and marvel at their Indian Museum... One of the best Native Indian displays in the area.
After that, you'll cross over the Klammath River... Say "Hi" to the bears for me... :laughter:
OK... as you head south, take the Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway instead of the 101. It will save you from crossing over a mountain and better yet.... it goes right to Prairie Creek State Park... Home of herds of Roosevelt Elk and Fern Canyon. (The road connects with 101 again right after Elk Prairie.
OK... The next point of interest would be Patricks Point State Park.
Joanie and I will be there on the 28th and 29th for a 50th Birthday Party for our graduating high school class... (Don't know what day you'll be heading through...)
OK... After you pass Trinidad, watch for Moonstone Beach... Might wanna splash in the waves a bit. It's a pretty safe beach for kids... pretty flat and no undertow.
OK... After you make it through Eureka, yaa might wanna go check out Ferndale, if you like checking out little shops and enjoy Victorian architecture...
Otherwise... Continue on along 101 south and watch for 36 east a few miles south of Fortuna... There's no overpass there yet, just a left turn onto 36. (Watch for Northbound 101 traffic as you make that turn)
About 12 miles or so down 36 you'll pass Pamplin Grove, it's sister campground is Swimmers Delight, around the corner and up a little hill.
BTW- I don't know what road you're planning on taking heading East to get to Lassen, but 36 will get you there, but personally, I'd go back to Arcata (Just North of Eureka and take 299 East)
Don't know what your time frame is, but if you come this far south, I'd strongly reccommend heading back to 101 after Swimmers Delight and take a stroll down the Avenue of the Giants just after Rio Del and Scotia
At the Founders Tree just North of Weott, be sure to walk over to the Dyerville Giant and backtrack at tad back accross that bridge at Founders Tree and drive down the road that leads to Honeydew and the Rockerfeller Forest... Mainley the Bull Creek Area... Some of the prettiest redwoods trees are in this area. Oh, and there's another nice little State Crampground just a bit further down that road, it's called Albee Creek.
Say, remember I mentioned Ferndale??? Well... If you decide to go back to Arcata to take 299 East to get to Lassen... I say continue along this road. It's gonna take you up over Panther Gap and will drop down into Honeydew. (It's pretty windey but very scenic) It continues on towards Petrolia... Whupps, another campground... A.W. Way Campground along the Mattole River. I know Guy said it's free to camp at the Mouth of the Mattole, where the Lost Coast starts, but I'd say spend your 10 or 15 bucks and stay at A.W. Way instead.
OK... Continueing along that road you'll drop down right along the ocean for about 8 miles or so and I mean right on the ocean! Then you'll head up The Wall at Suger Loaf just after Steamboat Rock. It's a steep hill, but short... Then You'll drop down into Capetown, cross the Bear River and head up Endless Hill... You are now on the Wildcat Road... Which leads into Ferndale.
BTW- There's a famed bicycle race, called the Tour of the Unknown Coast.
It starts and ends in Ferndale... "California's Toughest Century".
Congratulations you just driven most of the coarse in a car. :lol:
Then again, you can skip the road to Honeydew, but do go to Bull Creek.
Theres lots more redwoods too farther south along 101, clear down to Richardson's Grove, just past Garberville.
Don't know how far south you wanna go, but you will need to take a detour around the Avenue of the Giants just after Founders Tree, because of a landslide at or near Burlington Campground at Weott.
Lemme know if you need any more tour guide info... :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby jmtk » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:17 am

Holy cow, Dean! Sounds like we could spend our whole two weeks right around in your area! Have you ever considered a career as a travel agent? :lol:

Thanks for all your great ideas - and everyone else, too! I'll be printing this thread off before we head out cuz there's no way I could remember all these ideas!

Thanks so much and maybe we'll cross paths somewhere along the way! Keep your eyes open for the two-tone woodie pulled by the little white Subaru!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:45 am

Jeanette,
Maybe I should... The shoulder doesn't seem to be mending... Maybe lugging all that iron around yesterday while seasoning the big ovens set me back just a tad? :?

I forgot something about Patricks Point... You can also hunt for agates along Agate Beach, but I'd give better odds stopping at Dry Lagoon just north of there and combing the beach there. You can drive right to it instead of hiking down the cliff at P.P.
Oh... Also forgot to mention another nice campground in that area too... Big Lagoon.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby grant whipp » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:31 am

Hi, Jeanette!

Lassen Volcanic NP is practically my back yard. Depending on you route of choice, there's quite a lot to satisfy your hiking needs and plenty to entertain your son.

If you are going through the Park, Manzanita Lake is a can't miss. Campgrounds there are large and often crowded, but lots of trees to seperate you from your neighbors. The trailhead for Chaos Crags & Crags Lake are near the entrance to the campgrounds ... a great hike, not too difficult with your son (did it with my two daughters), and you'll want to take your swinsuits 'cause a dip in the lake is almost mandatory ... :thumbsup: ... cold and refreshing!

There are several other trails and campgrounds on your way up-an-over (Summit Lake & Campgrounds is pretty, but close to the Park highway), and two can't miss hikes are the one to the summit of Lassen Peak and the one down to Bumpass Hell.

If you choose to drive 'round the north side of the Park on Hwy 44 (heading to Susanville, then points East), don't miss Subway Caves near the intersection of Hwy 89 & Hwy 44. Heading East, up on the plateau, look for the road to the right to Butte Lake & Campgrounds (about a 6 mile drive on gravel road) ... it's a nice campground if it's open, but there's a great hike to and up Cinder Cone and a fantastic view of the lake and surrounding lavabeds (I've made this hike about two dozen times since I was 8-9 years old!).

Off of Road A21 (between Hwy 44 and Hwy 36) is the Silver Lakes complex & Campgrounds, with access to the Caribou Wilderness area and its fabulous hiking trails.

Like you said, so much to do and so little time, but I hope I've given you a couple of highlights to think about. If you stop at any NP or sporting goods store in the S.OR & N.CA area, you'll find several books on hiking and camping throughout this whole region that were compiled from lifetimes of exploration! I've been here virtually all my life, and I'be barely begun to scratch the surface!

Too bad it's still a part of CA ... :thumbdown: ... :thumbdown: ...! We really do need the 51st State of Jefferson!

Safe traveling and Happy Camping! As always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby jmtk » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm

Grant,

Thanks so much for the info on Lassen Volcanic NP! That's one we've never been to yet, so look forward to exploring it!

Grant Whipp wrote:
I've been here virtually all my life, and I'be barely begun to scratch the surface!

You know, I've got the same sentiments about exploring Utah. There are so many wonderful places in our state that we often don't venture beyond its borders. But now that our son is a decent age for road-tripping, we're making a point of getting out to see other cool things around this great country. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I wanted to build the teardrop! When I was a kid, my family always did big summer road trips (despite being dirt poor), and they are by far some of my best childhood memories. I wanted to make sure we did the same thing for our son.

Thanks for the info!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Return to North West