Question: Favorite routes through Washington & Oregon

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Question: Favorite routes through Washington & Oregon

Postby martha24 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:14 pm

On our way home from South Dakota we are considering going a northern route home. David is interested in going through Spokane. Plus he would like to stop in Redding, Ca to see his sister on our way to Southern California.

We aren't familiar with the states so suggestions would be appreciated as to favorite scenic routes that would be good for a teardrop trailer.
Plus any must see sites, great campgrounds that won't be packed as we prefer not to do reservations & should be during week.

So suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:03 am

Martha,

Give us some idea of what you like. and how much time you will have. There are lots of paths we can suggest that will provide a wide varity of the country up here.

John

IE Cities, Rivers, WaterFalls, Historic sites, Forest or Desert or farmlands. Are you interested in going to Victoria BC. ? Do you like festivals?
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:36 am

John,
It sounds like there is the choice of everything.
Mainly it is a drive though as we don't have very much time. David's brother likes Spokane, which is the reason he is curious to see that area, but generally we prefer smaller towns & avoid big cities in driving if possible.
I would have to say in general we prefer Rivers, WaterFalls, Historic sites (depending what they are), Forests and farmlands can be interesting too depending on what is being farmed. Rolling hills are nice too.
We wouldn't be going to Victoria BC. or any festivals?
We're not really into deserts. At least not like the ones we've seen on I10 going though California, Arizona, New Mexico & Texas on the way to San Antonio.
We don't need to drive on interstates, but would like decent highways. Some of the highways that take you though the smaller towns can be interesting. It is just nice to feel like you got see to some of the state if that makes sense.
For the most part it is spending the day driving & then finding a place to camp late afternoon & relaxing until the next morning. Usually Aug. wouldn't be our choice of timing, but since that is when our son is getting back from the Persian Gulf & has 2 weeks off we are going to see him. It is just nice in traveling to drive on a route we didn't take before & see more of this country. :thumbsup:
Gee I'm not asking for much I'm I? :lol:
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:07 am

Martha, if you have the time there are many nice campgrounds on 101 along the beautiful Oregon coast. I would take the old scenic highway up the Columbia river gorge to see all those waterfalls. Look for I-84 from Portland and jump off when you see the signs for the old highway. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

route

Postby Eunice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 am

I agree with Danny. Along the coast of Oregon and up the Columbia is the most beautiful. The Oregon coast has bridges and lighhouses and many other things to see and the Columbia River Gorge has wonderful waterfalls.
Eunice
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby Q » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm

If you're going the Oregon Coast route, be prepared to go slow. Traffic can be terrible at times with slow moving motorhomes and trucks. You'll also need a state park pass to park and explore along the way. The Columbia River Gorge is scenic and I would suggest getting off the freeway and on to the old road where possible.

My own preference would be Hwy 395 through Eastern Oregon. Desert and forest, 2 lane roads with little traffic and small towns.

Q (Bend, Oregon)
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby martha24 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies. :thumbsup: It is much appreciated.
We'll probably take Q's advice:
My own preference would be Hwy 395 through Eastern Oregon. Desert and forest, 2 lane roads with little traffic and small towns.

as it takes us more to where we are going without going out of our way.
The other routes will have to be for another trip. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NW_Subie » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:35 pm

395 is nice, but to really see the area, you have to be prepared to hit the gravel. Elkhorn Scenic drive is nice. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/ ... horn.shtml and you can stay on pavement. John Day area is nice. I really like the Strawberry Mtn area, but be prepared for gravel. Neat little state park campground at the CA border at Goose Lake. South of Burns is high desert. My favorite campground is Page Springs off 205 near Frenchglen. The Steens mountains are very cool You can make a long loop by heading south to Denio, NV and then taking 140 back to Lakeview, OR, heading south on 395 again. To be honest, the most boring drive is from Spokane to the Tri-cities. I think Washington has more interesting mountains, but Oregon has better high desert.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby jdarkoregon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:33 pm

Martha,

I think I'll put my 10 cents in too. From Spokane I'd go over to Pendleton, see the "underground” Maybe go to Joseph, head south to Baker City and stop there (there is a good park on the edge of town, visit the "Oregon trail museum” from Baker City, go West to John Day and then Redmond through Sisters and take the "old McKenzie Hwy" Camp on the west side of the mountains, there are some cool water falls just a short hike from the road. Head to Eugene and then turn SE on 97 and go to Crater Lake, KFalls and head back to Weed, visit the people around Redmond. It might take an extra day, but you would see lots of mountains, trees, lakes and even get into some farmland, with some history just for good measure.

Have fun, we will look forward to seeing your selection

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby SamR » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:42 am

If you come through Montana on the Freeway, take the Pintlar scenic loop out of Drummond (exit 154). It's a beautiful stretch of highway, and be sure to stop in Philipsburg at the Sweet Palace. I don't know of anyone who's stopped who didn't love the place.
SamR
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve E » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 pm

This summer we took a trip up to Oregon to attend a trailer rally in Salem area. We then continued further up and outskirted Portland to the Columbia Gorge area and it was gorgeous taking the scenic byway seeing all the waterfalls. Followed the Gorge up to Biggs and then cut down on 97 into Bend and into Crater Lake, Diamond Lake and dropped down into Glide and into Roseburg where we caught I-5 and came down into Redding. It really was a nice scenic route seeing many many different terrain changes....I highly recommend it working your way back down into Ca. from the Gorge..... Enjoy your trip and visit with your son! Patty
Steve E
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DaytonaGTS » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:34 pm

Steve E wrote:This summer we took a trip up to Oregon to attend a trailer rally in Salem area. We then continued further up and outskirted Portland to the Columbia Gorge area and it was gorgeous taking the scenic byway seeing all the waterfalls. Followed the Gorge up to Biggs and then cut down on 97 into Bend and into Crater Lake, Diamond Lake and dropped down into Glide and into Roseburg where we caught I-5 and came down into Redding. It really was a nice scenic route seeing many many different terrain changes....I highly recommend it working your way back down into Ca. from the Gorge..... Enjoy your trip and visit with your son! Patty

The best way to see the Columbia Gorge is from the Washington side, unless you want to do the Dam tours...... then you'll need to jump to the Oregon side for those...

We just did our Vacation up the Gorge and continued all the way up the Columbia to Grand Coule Dam, then over the North Cascades Highway.

My Favorite Route in the Country is probably the North Cascades Highway..... or otherwise known as HWY 20.....

It has some of the most unbelievable mountains to the Greenest lakes you'll every see :thumbsup:
Ron, Miriam & Ronnie

DaytonaGTS
Teardrop Builder

Return to North West