WA licensing inspection?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

WA licensing inspection?

Postby bookwalt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Howdy, I have my State Patrol inspection this Friday in Bellevue. Anyone gone through it recently? Got any hints about what they're going to be picky about? I plan on towing the trailer to the station, in blatant violation of the law, because I don't think I can get a trip permit for a trailer with no plate, registration, or VIN, and I know I can't afford to rent a flatbed. I have working taillights, turn signals, and brake lights, and a couple of random reflectors. I don't have any receipts to speak of, because the vast majority of this build was done with scavenged materials, so I understand that I may have to settle for a 3-year probationary title. If I forget something, or fail the inspection for whatever reason, will I have to schedule and pay for a whole new one, or is there an easier way to get signed off if it doesn't happen the first time?

Not a lot of specific questions, just looking for any relevant advice.

Thanks, Andy
bookwalt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 pm

I did my second one July 1st. You are required to get a day permit to get it weighed with receipt and to travel to the inspection station. Go to any McCallen state licensing office and show your drivers license and bring along $4 in cash for the one day permit. If you appointment is late in the day you could get it weighed and inspected on the same trip permit. Tell them it has never been registered & they will know what to do. They are very interested in where your axle, frame and other materials were acquired from so be prepared with any receipts you may have. The inspection fee is paid at your licensing office ($65) plus all the other fees the boogers can think of to charge you. Good Luck, :) Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bookwalt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that I needed a certified weight slip. (God forbid they should list everything you'll need on the WSP website!) There seems to be a certified scale near my house, maybe I can get it weighed on the way.
bookwalt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:32 pm

bookwalt wrote:Thanks for the tips. I didn't know that I needed a certified weight slip. (God forbid they should list everything you'll need on the WSP website!) There seems to be a certified scale near my house, maybe I can get it weighed on the way.

I paid $15 for it to be weighed @ Randals. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby AmyH » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:18 am

I'll add my two cents worth, because I just went through all of this myself.

First- I called and arranged an inspection appointment with the WSP. The DOL told me I wouldn't be able to get the transit/travel permit until I had the appt. arranged.

Second- I went to the DOL and picked up a transit/travel permit, which was good for two days. I didn't have to pay for it when I got it, since they said I would pay for it when I came back after having the inspection.

Third- I drove to a State Certified public scale (they are listed on the DOL website) and had the trailer weighed for $10. They gave me a receipt showing the weight.

Fourth- I drove to my appt. at the WSP. I spent the majority of my time there talking with the inspector about teardrop trailers. :lol: He and his wife want to get one, so we had a good time talking about them. I don't think he ever even checked my highway lights to make sure they were working! He did measure the trailer and ask for information about the axle. He also looked at the receipt for the axle.

Fifth- I went back to the DOL with my receipts in hand (all of them), my slip from the weight station and my paperwork from the WSP. The woman had a freak-out that I had so many receipts and told me that I had to go and make copies of all of them for her! ARGH!!

Sixth- I went and spent over an hour making copies of all of my receipts.

Seventh- I went back to the DOL, talked to a different person there, and he started to say that I didn't need all those copies of receipts. I was about ready to lose it on them when he said this!!! Finally, he took everything and issued me a temporary plate (since I chose to get a personalized one), and sent me on my way.

I am still waiting on my Title to arrive, but I am going to give them a couple more weeks before I start bugging them about it.

So, there ya go. Not too terrible a process, except for the whole making copies of all of the receipts issue!

Good luck getting it taken care of.
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby bookwalt » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:07 pm

My impression from the SP website is that if I don't have recepits from the build, I can get a registration and plates, but no title for 3 years. Does this sound right? I can deal with that. The chassis, as far as I can tell, has never had a serial number or VIN (It's at least 50 years old, I think it was a farm trailer), but I understand their interest in making sure it's not made of stolen parts. I might be able to get a letter from the previous owner to that effect.
bookwalt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bookwalt » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Well, that was easy. I must have got the same guy, he loved the trailer and didn't check the lights. I opted against the trip permit because the lady at our local licensing subagent said I couldn't get a day pass without a VIN or plate number, and since I needed the permit to get a VIN I would need a $30 3 day pass. No thanks... I must have been lucky, as the trailer towed like a dream on I-90 and I didn't get stopped. (Which they could have done without even getting into their cars, what with the inspection station being in the SP parking lot.

It went so smoothly that I decided to replace the mid-50's era tires on the way home.

Thanks for the advice!

-Andy
bookwalt
Teardrop Inspector

Licence Checklist

Postby Skammers » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 pm

Licence Checklist

1. Build trailer frame and install a floor

2. Install some kind of finders

3. Install taillight kit

4. Attach to car and proceed to inspection.

In Alaska I didn’t need to have it weighed and no one wanted to look at it, Just paid the fee and received the plates title and a decal with a serial number to affix to the trailer tung.

After moving back to Oroville Washington, I licenced it. No worries. Now I am finishing it. The B52 Build.
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mightydog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Dealing with any department of the state is a challenge. In Oregon, if you went to the office we went to, they wanted to see all of our receipts for the bulding materials, the chassis, the axle. They then cited some part of the DMV rules that said that it had to be licenced as a camp trailer. Digging deep into our pockets, we registered it as such.

In talking with someone from 75 or 100 miles to the west, they were able to register as a utility trailer--much cheaper!

The upside was the time in the parking lot showing all of the DMV folks the "cool little retro trailer" in the parking lot.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:05 am

My first TD was registered as a utility trailer which it legally is. TD #2 was registered as a travel trailer. Both were inspected at the same office and were determined by a state patrol inspector & paid for at the Tacoma Annex. I mentioned the error to the licensing clerk and she said they couldn't change it.
I just got my renewal. I pay $3 a year for a "RV Disposal Fee" that supports maintenance of RV disposal systems. When did a teardrop come equipped with a toilet and waste tank? Sounds like a bunch of government crap to me. :lol: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby DrJerry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 am

I built a wooden sailboat a few years ago. Had a stack of receipts about 2" thick all stuffed in a big manila envelope. Took it and homebuilt trailer in for inspection. Thought the guy was gonna croak! The boat was made from seven kinds of wood. He spread the stuff all out on a table, spot checked a few items "Where did you use teak?" then totalled up the tape I had to see if it matched. It did. After all that I went through to wire up nav lights he just looked to see if they were there.
Much worry about nothing. I hope the trailer turns out the same way. :worship:
Jerry

Watch and laugh as an Engineer with an advanced degree attempts to build a Tiny Travel Trailer:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/weekender ... weekender/
DrJerry
Teardrop Builder

Return to North West