Free Camping in the Northwest

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Free Camping in the Northwest

Postby AmyH » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Okay, I know there was some discussion about free campgrounds in a previous thread, but I thought it would be cool to start a thread devoted to discussing free campgrounds located around the Pacific Northwest.

I have a copy of Ray's Guide (here), but I remember someone mentioning that they are not completely accurate. I tend to double-check them against the Washington State Department of Natural Resources website (here) and the Ray Stienstra book "Pacific Northwest Camping." Sometimes, however, there are campgrounds that are listed in Ray's that I can not find on the DNR website or in the Stienstra book.

So, I am hoping that folks will contribute to this thread by sharing some details of free campgrounds they have stayed at around the PNW. Info like how to get there, number of sites, etc... Campgrounds that can accomodate our trailers are preferred.

I am heading to a campground in a couple of weeks, and I am hoping it will be a nice one. It is the Sauk River Campground listed in Ray's Guide. If anyone has information on this campground, please share. I'll report back after my trip and share details.

Also, for those of you into Geocaching, Waymarking.com has a category called "Free Campsites," and there are already about three listed for Washington State. I plan to post the ones that I make it out to.

With gas prices the way they are, FREE sounds great to me! ;)
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby NWsage » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:13 am

Amy,

I was recently trying to figure out how to find free campsites ... so, your post is very timely. I checked out your links and remembered that I could camp for free a while back in some US Forest Service campgrounds (near Cle Elum). I found that many of the sites now charge a fee, but a few are still free. Here is a link to check them out http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/camping/.

I look forward to hearing how your stay at Sauk River turns out.

Suanne
NWsage
Donating Member

Postby AmyH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Suanne, the website that you listed is a good one. I have been on it a lot lately looking for free sites. The only thing I don't like about the site is that there is no link for more information about the particular campgrounds, once you find one that you think will be good. So, you end up having to do a Google search on that campground to find any more information, including directions. Kind of a bummer, but still a good reference site.

You can also do dispersed camping on Federal Land, as long as it isn't marked "no camping." I read somewhere that you are supposed to have a shovel, long handled axe and bucket when camping in dispersed spots, but I can't seem to find anything on the Bureau of Land Management site to confirm that.

You can look for some areas to camp by going to the BLM website. Click on the state that you are interested in, and it will take you to another page where you can do a "recreation site" search. Washington and Oregon seem to be lumped together, but it looks like you need to pick Spokane once you are on the page if you want to find recreation opportunities in Washington.

The Waymarking.com "Free Campsites" category may end up being a great resource for folks all over the country. I plan to contribute information for every free campsite I go to, so the category can start filling up with stuff from the NW. I encourage others that are into Geocaching or Waymarking to contribute to. It will make it really nice to find good free campgrounds! :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby dahoon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:13 am

If I remeber there is a free campground at Grandy Lake on the Baker Lake road off of HWY 20 east of Sedro Woolley. I am planning a trip up that way in the near future.
If you want to meet us there or I will report back later.

Mike and Deanna
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:46 pm

How about this web site?

http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:03 am

Stop by a forest service office near where you want to go. Then pick up one of their detailed maps for that particular national forest area. They will have a guide to all the parks / campgrounds / facilities in the area and if a fee is charge.

I just grabbed my Willamette national forest map, 6 of the 45 campgrounds are free, although 2 of them are boat in campgrounds.

Also for the most part you can camp anywhere in a national forest. Many of my best camp sites where out in the middle of nowhere when we were out exploring. Like this place at the end of a fire trail with Mt. Rainer as a backdrop
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby 35thAV » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:55 am

Anybody know of any good sites near Leavenworth, Wa?

We're heading there without the trailer to do some kayaking this weekend. Since it's just the wife and I we're going light this time so we can explore some new spots.

Any ideas are appriciated!
1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
My adventures blog:<b> http://blastshelter.blogspot.com/</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:53 am

I usually do my camping up near Lake Wenatchee and there are a couple of nice free sites up there.

The US forest service does run some sites near Leavenworth that we haven't tried as they do cost a few dollars. Check with the ranger station at Leavenworth and see what sites are still open and be sure to let us know how your trip went.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 35thAV » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:39 am

I think I figured out a plan - it's not free but $13 isn't bad.

I'm going to head up Icicle Creek Rd. We'll either stop at Eightmile or Bridge Creek campgrounds tonight. Maybe if I get up there early enough I can look around for a free spot for next time.

Though it figures the first night I don't bring the trailer camping it's going to rain - oh well, I can always sleep in my dry suit!
1976 Westwind 13' with dual rear doors (48")Painted to match the F250 <b><i>My big little trailer!</i></b>

<b>The road takes me to the dirt, the dirt takes me to the whitewater, the whitewater takes me to the......</b>
35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby fpoole » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:20 pm

Interesting thread, so posting to get some info.

Haven't come accross any "Free" ones... expensive ones yes, so looking with interest.. it's starting to get a little pricey going out all the time.
thanks for the posting... look forward to the links...

:)
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:31 pm

fpoole,

There are quite a few free sites out there. Finding them is a little difficult. Here is a list of all the sites in the Wenatchee National Forest:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/recreation/wenatchee-river/campgrounds/. Currently there are eight different sites that are free. From what I have seen this is what you need to know:

1. Always have a back up location as these free sites can fill up on busy weekends.
2. Do not expect services. Bring your own TP and Water.
3. Some of these sites are more rugged than your county parks (Soda Springs do not try it in a low rider as the road down is rough).
4. The sites are much smaller. (There are four sites in Meadow Creek).
5. Some information is not disclosed by maps, go to the ranger station. (There is a washout up Little Wenatchee road and there is a spot that is a little hairy to get to Lake Creek).

The feds have some cool little spots when you can find them. They can be a little close to nature for some folks taste however my family finds them more camping than the city parks.

:thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby fpoole » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:55 pm

Great, thanks much, appreciate it ...

Now, if i can just find a weekend off to go... LOL..
...just 'Camping Inn' the PNW
Washington Trailer Folks
fpoole
fpoole
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 pm

If I have a destination in mind (Richmond, CA) which BLM district should I be looking at?
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby 35thAV » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Well we did get free camping....sort of.

We headed out Icicle Creek Road and found ALL the campgrounds completely full. So after we turned around we drove back to the "RV Parking" area. When we got there we were only the second & third cars when we left at 6 am Saturday we were 2 of 11.

This place worked okay. There were no fires allowed and no real campspots or restrooms. Basically just a big dirt pull put next to the river - but it worked and it was FREE!

oh, and the rest of the trip was good - I'll try to get some pics up on the blog soon.

35thAV
Teardrop Master

Postby dreadcptflint » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:02 am

35thAV,

I'm sorry that you didn't find a spot. Be for warned most of Central Washington usually goes with out campfires sometime in July. This is also suppose to be a dry year. Better luck next time for a spot.
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to North West