end of year camping?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

end of year camping?

Postby nikwax » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:24 am

I have a week off now, I'm hot to get out of town and camp somewhere. Still plenty of snow right around here, can anyone recommend a place to camp that is accessible this time of year? Thanks!
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 am

many campgrounds are seasonal, especially in the north.

what do you want to accomplish. I don't like being in the middle of the woods by myself. Other people love isolation. My druthers would be to head south to visit friends along the way.. which is actually what I will be doing in Feb... from CT to FL/GA/AL... I will be traveling with my mutt, and plan on visiting as many friends along the way that I can.... I usually only see them once every year or two, and I don't want them to forget what I look like...

But, I will only stay one night at each place. Don't want to be too intrusive in their real lives..... and, after a while, we run out of war stories to talk about.

Along the way, I'll visit places, especially as I get further south.. If I get to FL, I'll stay at some of the state c/g's with 'spring' in their names. I like to go swimming in the natural springs down there.

So, I'm going for friends, warm weather, interesting places... not snow, cold, and isolation. So, what do you want?
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 pm

When it was snowed in up in the mountains, my wife and I used to like to go to the Long Beach, WA area when we lived in Vancouver, WA. Even in the winter, it was always niice to get out on the beach and collect sand dollars and such...I'm pretty sure there are lots of places to camp.
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:15 pm

This campground, Beacon Rock is fairly close to Portland and it sounds pretty nice. Someday I'd like to camp there. Check out Oregon & Washington campground websites for more choices. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby NW_Subie » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:04 pm

The campground at Beacon Rock is closed during the winter. Too bad because it's a nice campground. Probably the closest park to Portland open year round is Metro's Oxbow Regional Park. http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=975

Coastal Oregon state park camping is the best option, although it's going to be a wet week. I like Cape Lookout state park http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_186.php if it isn't too stormy. Deschutes River State park http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_37.php in the winter and spring is nice. Cold at night, but dryer.

I've also been itching for a camping trip. Cabin fever after the snow.

Last edited by NW_Subie on Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:08 pm

I guess your right after re reading that website. This sentence fooled me.
Beacon Rock State Park is a 4,650-acre year-round camping park
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to North West