Registering a Little Guy TD in Washington

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Registering a Little Guy TD in Washington

Postby NW_Subie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:42 pm

Has anybody in Washington registered a Little Guy from Oregon?

I'm selling my Little Guy and can provide the owner a bill of sale. Since Oregon does not require registering utility trailers under 1800 lbs, I never registered it in Oregon. The LG has a VIN stamp so I don't think it's the same process as registering a home built trailer.

The WA dept of licensing told the buyer he needs a Certificate of Origin and bill of sale. Does that sound right?

Thanks.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Big Dan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm

I bought mine from cali. I went down to the dmv with the title and got my registration. Thats all they asked for. should be the same with your deal.
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby NW_Subie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Big Dan wrote:I bought mine from cali. I went down to the dmv with the title and got my registration. Thats all they asked for. should be the same with your deal.

No title. Just the original bill of sale from the original owner.

In Oregon you can have it inspected to match the VIN, then title and register it, but it costs about $200 thanks to the stupid Sellwood Bridge fee.

Washington Dept of Licensing says they need Manufacture Certificate of Origin along with the bill of sale. I'm checking with Little Guy to see if they can provide one.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Big Dan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 pm

If lilguy can't help, you might have to apply for a lost title with bill of sale and the vin#
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby NW_Subie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

:(

Little Guy wasn't much help. They gave me the number for The Little Trailer Company, where the trailers were manufactured. Unfortunately, they are bankrupt and the voice mail box is full. Since they manufactured the trailer, I'm pretty sure they are the ones who would have to issue a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin. Little Guy was just the sales and marketing end. Found and interesting article about what Little Trailer Co. planned to do when they split with LG. Guess it didn't work out.
http://rv-pro.com/article/qa-little-trailer-co

I contacted the original owner. She's going to look through her paperwork. She originally registered the trailer in Connecticut. She said trailers are registered but not titled in Connecticut. I'm assuming they need a certificate of origin to register it in Connecticut. If she can't find paperwork she'll call Connecticut DMV and see if they have any paperwork.

So, as far as I can tell there's no title or certificate of origin ... one or the other is needed to register in Oregon or Washington. I don't think I can apply for a lost title since there never was a title issued. I'll check with DMV and see if it is possible with just a bill of sale and a vin #.

Wish I had found this out while the Little Trailer Co. was still in business.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby DrJerry » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:47 pm

A friend of mne went through this with an antique Hupmobile. It was built/restored mainly from assorted pieces. There is a website he went to that researches this and can issue you a title in whatever state they are in. I gather it involves them researching serial numbers to verify nothing was stolen. It might be cheaper to just pay their dumb "Sellwood Bridge Fee"

BTW, I wrote a letter to the Editor of the Oregonian AKA Fishwrapper asking why the money was not set aside like any prudent money manager would do. It was neither acknowledged nor published. :shock:
Jerry

Watch and laugh as an Engineer with an advanced degree attempts to build a Tiny Travel Trailer:
http://www.angelfire.com/blog/weekender ... weekender/
DrJerry
Teardrop Builder

Return to North West