4th of July 2012, Parade of TD's in Ledore Idaho

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

4th of July 2012, Parade of TD's in Ledore Idaho

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 am

Last week I passed through the small Idaho town of Ledore, ( south of Salmon ). After getting gassed up I showed the lady running the little store the teardrop. She then invited me to come back next year and be in their 4th of July parade they have.

Wikipedia calls Ledore a ghost town. That is a bit harsh. They have small rodeo ground and camping there, with showers and toilets, at least one little store with some gas, maybe a bar or two. I am thinking about going and I bet it would really be neat if some other TDs would show up also for the parade.

They have the parade, a little local rodeo, and fireworks. A real small town celebration.

Any one else up for it?

Randy
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:06 pm

Wolfframer,

Boy, you got me thinking now.... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Been wanting to go to Yellowstone for quite awhile.
4th of July in Ledore, maybe week in Yellowstone, and then on to IRG in the middle of July (depending on what the exact date is). Would be a nice 3000 mile trip. One potential big hitch is my job may go away at the end of this year.
Still, I think this is well worth keeping on my calendar.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Good to hear from you Wolfgang.

On my way to Ledore I came over the continental divide from Montana via the Lemhi pass. That is where the Lewis and Clark party met up with Sacajawea's brother and saved their collective behinds. It is quit a trip but very do able with any competent vehicle, unless there is some late snows.

Ledore it self is in a dry spot, high mountains on either side. Just north of there is Salmon Idaho and the Salmon river. There is some real mountainous area there I went through last week just to prove I would not get lost.

:lol:

Later I found a great road in Montana that goes through some low mountains with a mess of shady campgrounds along it.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:58 pm

Randy,

Glad to hear you got some time away from farming.
As you have read some of my posts' you know I like out of the way places to explore. I just love the wide open West. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This sounds like it could be one of those trips. Once we know the date for IRG, I can start planning........
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Cool

Next year if I am still working where I am now I will not have any trouble getting away. Other than running out of money.

You might have liked where I camped last Sunday night. I was down in Utah on the original Transcontinental Rail Road that they abandoned after they by passed the section that looped north of the Salt Lake. I was up on a hill and could easily see 30+ miles south and 30-40 miles wide. Not a single light to be seen at night and after some jets flew over about 6pm there was no human sounds other than me. And the Temperature was just about right, and no mosquitoes at all.

Randy
Last edited by Wolffarmer on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mike B » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am

This sounds interesting. My 4th of July is now open, since there will be no more gatherings at Carnation, WA. I will have to think about this one.

To get there, I would go across to Butte on I-90, then south on I-15 to just past Dillon. Or over to Missoula and south on highway 93. I'm familiar with the I-15, as I use it to go to Lake Havasu City, AZ to visit my parents at Christmas.

I will be retired by next 4th of July, so the trip would be leisurely, in any case. And I would be sure to carry a couple of canopies, as it looks like one thing they are in short supply of is shade. As I said, I will definitely think about this one.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:23 am

Mike, you are right about the lack of shade in town. And I haven't found a good campground close to town. And the folks there would get a kick out having a bunch of teardrops show up for the parade.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

I would love to go, but finances aren't what they used to be!
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Any nearby campgrounds?
Opps didn't read all the entries.
I can camp anywhere.
That would be doable for me if the economy doesn't sink.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 pm

I am not sure how much space they have at the city park. The place I got gas has some RV spaces. Don't worry, it is no RV resort. Name of the place is "Sort of a Store" or something like that.

They have one grade of gas in a small tank.

This is back water Idaho. There are some campgrounds in the forests but they are not very close as far as I can tell and they seem to have a rather large elevation change to get up to them. This could be some real boon-docking. I have no idea how busy they will be on the 4th. But as the 4th is on a Wednesday I would imagine not as busy as if it is on a friday-monday. I will have to check on where the BLM ground is also. Can camp on that if we have to.

Be ready for an adventure.

I hope you can make Mukilteo. also hope the economy doesn't sink worse.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby jhb » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 am

Hey Randy, this sounds interesting. Might be heading towards Glacier next summer, but there is IRG as well, and wouldn't be heading back south by the 4th.

Speaking of Utah on the original Transcontinental Rail Road, you talking about here: ?

http://picasaweb.google.com/jhbonnett/NorthwestUtah

This is where I camped after the September Glyphs 2 years ago on the way to Jackson Hole, this is off of Utah 30 at Grouse Creek Road about 8 miles east of the Nevada/Utah border.
John B.
I'd rather be camping.
jhb
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:46 am

Yup, Thats the place.

:lol: :lol:

I often come down from Idaho through Grouse Creek, then south of Utah Highway 30 to Lucine then who knows where. I usually do that several times a year. Often get a candy bar or a pop at the Grouse Creek Store. If it is opened, and they have some in stock, you never know. Sundays it is never opened. When I first went through there I noticed the rather odd architecture of many of the houses. Took me a few years to realize they where from when the local LDS practiced polygamy. So I keep my eye out for other houses built like those and so far have only seen one other in Oakley Idaho. About 40 miles north of Grouse Creek.

Just to add the disclaimer. The mainstream LDS no longer practice polygamy. Though some did for a number of years after it was abandoned. Now if any are found to be polygamist they are excommunicated.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby CAJUN LADY » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:34 am

I guess that guy on "Sister Wives" hasn't heard that yet. ;)
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 am

While I have not seen that show or read in depth about it. They would not be members of the mainstream LDS. They would be excommunicated. There are a number of break away sects and just plain individuals trying to make their own sect.

Some will be LDS to go to the temples. While secretly being a member of one of these. I have known at least one person that was doing that.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:01 pm

I coulden't cope with one wife. (or was it the other way around :lol: )
Let alone many wives.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Next

Return to North West