Insulation in Western WA - Do I really need it?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Insulation in Western WA - Do I really need it?

Postby Bellinghamster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:21 am

I've got an old 1930s/40s homemade masonite teardrop without a stitch of insulation. I'll be camping all over Washington - some hot Chelan days, some mild coastal ones. Will insulation do me much good, or can we get away without it here in the Great Northwest? I'll have an old Hehr roof vent, and have a large door, two hopper-style windows and a screen pass-through between the cabin and galley for ventilation.

Someone could retrofit AC or a fantastic fan someday, but I probably won't do much more than rewire the simple 110v system now in place.

I may sell it, would no insulation be a dealbreaker in Western WA, even if it's a restored, historic trailer? I'd love your input. And oh, here are some pics:

Bellinghamster
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

If you put in the foam insulation from the box stores it wouldn't set you back that much. The 3/4" x 48" x 96" sheets go for around $10.00 a piece. Besides the insulating factor for heat and cold is the noise penetration from the outside. I noticed some difference from a fully insulated teardrop to a roof only insulated one with 7/8" thick walls. With our plywood walls and 1 1/2" of roof insulation we are quite comfortable here in Western Washington. From your first picture it looks like the roof line has lots of ventilation. Is there any plywood on the sides? :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Mightydog » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:02 pm

We have friends with that vintage of trailer. It also has NO insulation in it except for their sleeping bags. It's known as da 'fridge for a reason.

If the temps get in to the 40's while you're camping, you'll wish that you got some of the big box store insulation that Danny mentioned.
Mightydog
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dreadcptflint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 am

I'm in Eastern Washington and my trailer doesn't have insulation and it doesn't bother us a bit. Nice find on the trailer by the way.
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:38 am

Where you are today will not be where you will be in the future :thinking:
and if you do not travel south of the Washington border maybe not.

I am all for preserving the originality but I am a believer in planing for what you may do in the future. One of the reasons for insulation in my not so humble opinion is sound deadening, those noisy camp neighbors with the barking dog or crying baby or...
One of the things I love about ours is being able to turn on the radio if the neighbors are obtrusive and not missing any sleep.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to North West