Suggestions for a campground near Portland?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Suggestions for a campground near Portland?

Postby mkitchen » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Mo and I are coming up to Oregon in August. We are going to be spending some time at Fort Stevens for a recumbent bike rally, but we also want to spend some time visiting our daughter who will be staying in Hillsboro for the summer. So I was wondering about some place to camp on the west side of Portand. Possibly somewhere that we could bicycle out of as well.
Would love to hear ideas from locals. Our stay would be during the week.
Thanks
Mike and Mo
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Re: Suggestions for a campground near Portland?

Postby Maureenm » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:43 am

Hi, LL Stub Stewart would be worth a try, it's pretty close to Hillsboro and adjoins the Banks -Vernonia trail which is perfect for biking. It's one of our newer state parks and is reservable through Reserve America. Weekend spots might be hard to come by, but I think mid week might have lots available. It has showers, hookups, the usual amenities.
Enjoy your trip!
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby mkitchen » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks Maureen
Not sure if you remember Mo and I, but we were just across the meadow from you at the IRG. The biggest give-a-way would be our three Corgi's.
I am going to check out the campground. It sounds perfect for our needs. If we get up there, would you be interested in coming out for a cup of coffee with us?
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby Maureenm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Ah, the Corgis, now of course I know who you are! I would love to come out and meet you for coffee, if I'm not out camping somewhere :roll: Actually, I think I will be around most of August. It would be fun to connect. June,July and September are pretty busy, so I don't think I will be going far around then. Let me know when you have your dates firmed up!
Maureen
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby Greg M » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:23 pm

Mike, and Mo, I'll see you at the retreat. It'll be nice not being the only one with a teardrop for once :). I hope you've already got your reservation in because the 4 night spots are already all gone, and I think the 3 nighters are just about gone too.
I'll second Maureen's recommendation, I haven't been, but I'm told it's a nice campground and the Banks-Vernonia trail is some great, smooth, paved riding.

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mkitchen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Greg M wrote:Mike, and Mo, I'll see you at the retreat. It'll be nice not being the only one with a teardrop for once :). I hope you've already got your reservation in because the 4 night spots are already all gone, and I think the 3 nighters are just about gone too.
I'll second Maureen's recommendation, I haven't been, but I'm told it's a nice campground and the Banks-Vernonia trail is some great, smooth, paved riding.

-Greg

Great to hear from you. I reserved in early January, just as soon as I figured out that I could get the time off. Not sure where we will be parked yet, but I did put in a couple of requests. Look for us in the Maroon Honda Pilot and a SoCal teardrop. Power in numbers, eh?
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby mkitchen » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Maureenm wrote:Ah, the Corgis, now of course I know who you are! I would love to come out and meet you for coffee, if I'm not out camping somewhere :roll: Actually, I think I will be around most of August. It would be fun to connect. June,July and September are pretty busy, so I don't think I will be going far around then. Let me know when you have your dates firmed up!
Maureen

Maureen, we will send you a PM when we know what days we will be in the area. We would love to see you again. A fellow couldn't ask for a better tear drop neighbor.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Postby akjrusty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 pm

I just stayed at Stub Stewart for my second trip out. Pretty nice. I think the west campground had a little more privacy between sites but overall, nice size spots. Great hiking and with the beautiful weather - the open campsites make sky watching easy.
akjrusty
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mkitchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:22 pm

Just saw your post, glad that you like the campground. We were certainly happy with it. Being bicyclists, it is especially nice since it is on a very nice bike path. Not sure when we will be up there again but if we are, I would not hesitate to stay there again. I agree, the western or lower campground is the better choice. If you think that is an open campground, come on down here to the desert.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Return to North West