Do you have to licence a Tear in Oregon

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Do you have to licence a Tear in Oregon

Postby Glennanderson1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:25 pm

In Oregon a trailer under 1800 Lbs and is not an RV does not require a licence plate. An RV needs to be licenced but I think it has to have sleeping, eating, and a bathroom to have to be licenced. We may have found a Tear and want to know if I need to licence it before I tow it home.

Glenn in Oregon.
Glenn Anderson
Glennanderson1
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:20 pm

You might check to see if a transport permit is available.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Glennanderson1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:23 pm

But if a licence is not required in Oregon, there is no need for a $30.00 trip permit :twisted: rmit.
Glenn Anderson
Glennanderson1
Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:40 pm

OUCH! our transport permits are only $5. A full blown tag is around $40 (for a utility trailer)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 54F100 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:57 am

Looks like you may have to register it if it has permanent cooking and sleeping facilities, here's what Oregon DMV considers a recreational trailer / travel trailer

Travel Trailer Definition

A camper permanently mounted on a trailer is registered as a travel trailer.

A travel trailer is designed to provide facilities for human habitation (permanent sleeping and cooking facilities). Travel trailers are not used for commercial or business purposes. A travel trailer is any of the following that is 8.5 feet wide or less:

Recreational vehicle
Prefabricated structure
The width of 8.5 feet is measured when any expansion sides or “tipouts” are in the usual travel position. The length is measured from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body, not including the spare tire. A travel trailer may not exceed 45 feet in length. If the trailer exceeds 45 feet in length, it cannot be registered.

The camper and trailer fee chart will help you to determine the correct fee. Campers and travel trailers are registered for a two-year period.

Of course, if you take the mattress out you could call it an enclosed utility trailer....
54F100
Silver Donating Member

Oregon

Postby Q » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:44 am

For some reason the post I made yesterday didn't show up.

I contend that my teardrop is a light utility trailer that doesn't require a plate. I can remove my cooking facility and sleeping facility easily.

For 3+ years I've been towing my tear around Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California, and Nevada and have never been stopped by a traffic cop.

Q (Bend, OR)
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby jayray » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:07 am

:thinking: We plated and titled ours in the event the worst happened and someone made off with it. A little peice of mind is worth the saftey of our pride and joy, or at least it is to the insurance company. :thumbsup:
jayray
Teardrop Inspector

I should have thought of that!

Postby Glennanderson1 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:31 pm

As someone who has had a trailer stolen, why did I not think of that.

Good idea..

Thanks,
Glenn
Glenn Anderson
Glennanderson1
Teardrop Builder

Postby Q » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm

Why wouldn't the thief just take the plates off?

Q

jayray wrote::thinking: We plated and titled ours in the event the worst happened and someone made off with it. A little peice of mind is worth the saftey of our pride and joy, or at least it is to the insurance company. :thumbsup:
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby Gaston » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:16 pm

I am not going to register or plate mine when its done. I will make up a "vin" number for it and stamp it into the frame.
also I like the clean look without a plate on the back. Not to mention the LB of flesh they want for to title and plate it. :?
The difficult we do now... the impossible takes a little longer
Gaston
Donating Member

Postby jayray » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:24 pm

:twisted: I actually keep its plate in the pickup w/ me incase anyone official did ask.
jayray
Teardrop Inspector

The official answer from DMV

Postby Glennanderson1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:21 pm

I took the trailer to DMV last Friday to swap the title over and when it came time to issue plated I asked the guy why I needed plates, and he came out and looked at the trailer. He got on his computer and said it would have to have perminent sleeping and Eating facilities. I said there you go, there is no perminent table, the stove is portable, and no built in food cooler... It's a utility trailer! 8) He agreed.

I am sure I will be questioned about it one day.

Glenn
Glenn Anderson
Glennanderson1
Teardrop Builder

Re: The official answer from DMV

Postby bledsoe3 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:03 am

Glennanderson1 wrote:I took the trailer to DMV last Friday to swap the title over and when it came time to issue plated I asked the guy why I needed plates, and he came out and looked at the trailer. He got on his computer and said it would have to have perminent sleeping and Eating facilities. I said there you go, there is no perminent table, the stove is portable, and no built in food cooler... It's a utility trailer! 8) He agreed.

I am sure I will be questioned about it one day.

Glenn

Thanks for that bit of info! :thumbsup:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Oregon DMV

Postby boardhead » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:59 pm

I called the Oregon DMV last month when I finished my Cubby. Surprisingly, a real person answered on the first ring - and she knew the requirements! She said I could register it if I wanted to, but unless it has both a bed and a kitchen, it is considered a utility trailer and registration is not required. There was also a weight that it had to be under, I think it was 1800 lbs.
boardhead
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sid » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:58 pm

I guess we here in Tennessee are different. We only have to have tags if we take it OUT of state. As long as it stays in state, it is good to go.

Go figure :thinking: :thinking:
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Next

Return to North West