Safest campgrounds for solo newb in WA?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Safest campgrounds for solo newb in WA?

Postby Nicolathecat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Hey there,

I am a total teardrop newb. I am still in the planning stages of purchasing a teardrop. As a widow it will just be me, my 10 yr old and our faithful dog Kahlua. I would love suggestions for SAFE campgrounds in Western Washington...kind of a starter campground if you will. I have never been camping as the person in charge. Went with my mom and grandparents as a kid and then years later went with a boyfriend. Suggestions, advice and btdt stories gratefully accepted.

THANKS!!!
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
Who could have guessed it was a blessing in disguise?
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Re: Safest campgrounds for solo newb in WA?

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:39 pm

I spent a week at Grayland Beach State Park in June and would classify as family friendly and safe. It's also teardrop friendly, most sites have hookups, and it's in an interesting part of the state (Gray's Harbor). I'd recommend it for a first timer.

It has easy to back into sites with good separation and privacy and is close enough to town that you can run out for forgotten supplies easily. Oh, and good clean restrooms and showers.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nicolathecat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Thank you so much. That is only two hours from us and near the ocean...sounds awesome!
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Postby Fyddler » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:24 pm

I can't think of any parks in Western WA that I would feel uncomfortable having my wife stay alone at, and there are so many to choose from!
To err is human, to really foul up requires a computer

Build Log: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55017
Fyddler
The 300 Club

Postby eggsalad » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:43 pm

I have camped all over this great land. State Parks, National Parks, County Parks, and privately-owned campgrounds. I can't think of one moment when I ever felt uneasy, much less unsafe. Campgrounds are mostly full of... people who camp. Crips don't camp. Bloods don't camp. Ted Bundy nor John Wayne Gacey spent much time in campgrounds.

The only people who get attacked in campgrounds are people who do stupid things involving wildlife.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby Nicolathecat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Thank you for the reasurrances. I appreciate it.
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Here in Mn I like the state parks since I have to check in with a ranger which makes me feel a bit safer. (Or at least fill out a registration paper )
Not sure of all states have rangers in their parks but that always makes me feel better. It is one of the things I will look for in any state I am camping alone.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby NetDep » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:29 am

Tolt-McDonald County Park is very nice - clean - safe and close to "civilization" -- if you can call Carnation that!!

http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation/pa ... onald.aspx

They have a nice variety of tent, yurt and RV spots. The spots for a trailer are great - I have stayed there several times and you can make reservations by phone!! I really love it for the get away urge but close enough to be so convenient -- a best kept secret!!
A page with my Little Guy Teardop & Toyota Tacoma:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/netdep/set ... 824134599/
NetDep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am

Sounds like a great place for a teardrop Gathering! :thinking:
Good roads
Brian &Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby NetDep » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Brian & Sandi -

It would be a great place for a roundup -- there is a large barn for a picnic -- playground equipment for kids -- baseball fields and open fields...a very nice place!! And a Starbuck's within walking distance -- normally my first jaunt of the day when I stay there!! ;-)
A page with my Little Guy Teardop & Toyota Tacoma:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/netdep/set ... 824134599/
NetDep
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nicolathecat » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:05 pm

That one looks fun and it is only an hour away...THANKS!!! I really think my daughter would love it and I know my dog would...:)
"An Zhi Fei Fu"
-Chinese proverb

Nicolathecat
Teardrop Builder

Postby gudmund » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:46 pm

The Carnation, Wash. park being spoken about here was a teardrop get together place for quite a few years up until 2012 I think. If you go to Grant's website you can see pictures from those gatherings in his "gathering" picture section under "Carnation". Another nice park depending on where you live is north east of Bellingham, Wash, It's Whatcom County park - Silver Lake - it's on the way to Mt.Baker just north of Maple Falls, Wash.(The north tip of the lake is almost in Canada.) (and yes Brian, it's me and I did make it home-I really enjoyed visiting your neck of the woods and seeing your home-I LOVED IT~~~ haven't had much luck with making this website work when I tried to e-mailing you 3 or 4 times so when I saw this subject with your entry on it I figured I'd try again - Tell Sandi Hi!! Ted Hoefer
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:28 am

Hi Ted
Not to hijack Nicola's thread, but we were wondering why we had not heard from you?
I have tried to e-mail you a couple of times, but only get a strange message saying I must be on some kind of recognized list????
Please send me an e-mail or a PM here on the forum.
We missed you at the Fall Brigade.
Great to see you here!
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:38 pm

don't know where you live here in western Wash but here on Camano Island where I am at we have two great state parks less than a mile from each other with both right on the water looking west to Whidbey Island. Cama Beach State Park is an old resort with over 400 acres of woods that the state restored to it's original condition with the old cabins that can rented for the stay-each being on the water with the Camano Island State Park just south of it less then a mile or so away with trails between them. It's the normal park with campsites and boat launch - teardrop camping!!. You can find more info about all the state parks on the internet at "accesswashington.com"
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:54 pm

I know this maybe of subject but "planning stages of buying a teardrop....." just a suggestion but check out www.teardropsnw.com in Salem, Ore. They used to just sell "brand" premade ones but now are only custom building their own trailers now per customer wants and needs. really like mine so far after a year and a half. Take care
gudmund
500 Club

Next

Return to North West