WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Trailer Requirements for Homebuilt

Postby Riken » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:41 am

I think Madjack, you may have the best information since you live in Louisiana. I am looking for the homebuilt trailer requirements for the state of louisiana. I have a homebuilt trailer and a former boat trailer that has been squared off. If the boat trailer has a VIN I can't seem to locate it. The trailers both came from a salvage yard were they were given to me at no charge. It is up to me to get them road ready. Any suggestions?? Your help is greatly appreciated
Riken
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:21 am

hiya Riken, wherabouts are ya from...I found this post in the NW section...for a homebuilt you need to get a form from the DMV which is an affidavit swearing you built it, you then take that form to the SP office nearest you for an inspection(you can also arange for them to come to your house) after inspection the SP will stamp a VIN on the trailer tongue, and sign off on your affidavit, take that paperwork back to the DMV, give 'em some cash and out you go with license and registration...a title will be mailed to you from Baton Rouge...The process can be more difficult with a boat trailer(Ithink) GPW, built his tear onna modified boat trailer and it seems(maybe) that they put him thru a couple of mor hoops to get his registration...you would have to get hold of him for specifics...
madjack 8)

p.s. I think it cost around 40 bucks for all of the above.....
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Homebuilt Headache

Postby Riken » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:43 pm

Madjack,
I am south of Baton Rouge near Gonzales. That doesn't seem to bad of a process except for the modified boat trailer. Does it make a difference if I didn't build them? I picked them up at a Junkyard for free. Of course I did have to do some cosmetic to one, and square out the boat trailer. Basically I had 2 frames with 4 rotten tires. The boat trailer didn't have a tongue on it? Don't know if it was broken or not but I did have to add and an arm and tongue coupler. It was a manufactured trailer that has a barely visible sticker no stampings that I could see. Any ideas?
Riken
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:22 pm

....have ya got a bill of sale from the junkyard...or just build the whole thing and claim you built it all, if you had to build the tongue, that is probably what I would do...when we did ours, the Trooper came out and stamped the numbers and went back in...wasn't much interested in anything else...except getting backout the heat...I believe Nubwon, over in Lake Charles said the Trooper gave him the numbers set and he stamped it bringing the stamps back inside and retrieving the paperwork.........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Today I had my #4 teardrop inspected by the Washington State Patrol in Tacoma.
First off the officer who did the inspection loves teardrops and had to have the whole tour, the other officers joined in.
He started his inspection and noted it was a Teardrop Travel Trailer.
I asked why not a utility trailer as before and he said I couldn't haul gravel in it and it could only sleep two & it has a clam shell hatch in back so it's a Teardrop Travel Trailer

During his inspection I asked what the state considered a utility trailer converted into a teardrop.
He said that it's no longer a utility trailer but a teardrop travel trailer and if an officer ran the plates and found it was different he'd run the risk of a ticket and a required inspection.
He said it comes under a different classification and needs to be changed to the new classification.
He also noted your insurance would only cover a utility trailer if someone was to rear end you.
On my registration is states Ser/Body as 14/TEAR , make as HMDE & use as TLR.
He shook my hand and said they would be here for my next one. :thumbsup:
Finally we have some respect and a classification of our own. :thumbsup:
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby ioan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:54 am

Does this apply just for Washington state residents? If I'm from Oregon and I go camping in Washington state, does this affects me in any way?
ioan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby finleycraft » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 pm

I am from KS and over here we dont need to have it registered if its under 16ft total, single axel, and under 2000lbs at least that is my understanding. Anywho, I have lots of family in the great NW as that is where I am from and I plan on bring the Raindrop I am building on trips to the NW. Any idea what the legalities are for me? I may end up registering it anyway just to keep the hassel level down from pompus bored officers from states other than KS. Thoughts?
finleycraft
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Toyotamike » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:12 am

My roommate has a new york title for a utility trailer for his build using the back half of a truck frame. I do believe the vin number on the title will magically appear on his trailer lol.

I went the Harbor freight route.
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:08 am

This thread was started for those who reside in Washington state and are registering their trailer in Washington state. You'll need to contact your particular state's Department of Licensing if you don't reside in Washington State as all states have their own laws.:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dlab » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 pm

So, just bought a teardrop second hand off craigslist today. Previous owner never bothered to register it in WA, but I guess I'm too law abiding/afraid to go that route. I don't have a title, just a hand written bill of sale from the seller. As far as I can tell there is no VIN. Next step?
dlab
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:20 am

dlab wrote:So, just bought a teardrop second hand off craigslist today. Previous owner never bothered to register it in WA, but I guess I'm too law abiding/afraid to go that route. I don't have a title, just a hand written bill of sale from the seller. As far as I can tell there is no VIN. Next step?

You certanly can't put it on Washington roads without a title/license plate. I'd go see the people at Washington Department Of Licensing. After inspection it may qualify for a temporary title for 3 years that will qualify for a permanent title if no problems show up in that 3 year period. :D Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Toyotamike » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:37 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:This thread was started for those who reside in Washington state and are registering their trailer in Washington state. You'll need to contact your particular state's Department of Licensing if you don't reside in Washington State as all states have their own laws.:D Danny

And I live in Tacoma if that comment was inspired by me in anyway :)
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby dlab » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Inspection went easy, Inspector in Marysville is a nice guy and quite knowledgeable about teardrops. After I scrambled to wire a license plate light at the last minute, they didn't even check the brake/turns signals let alone that. In and out in under 20 minutes.
dlab
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dave S » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:41 pm

As usual, Mr Halfdome is correct with his insights on licensing for the STATE of WA. Other states probably have other issues, some better and some worse. Over the years I have had terrible experiences with the DOL here in WA. Having said that, my 1947 Teardrop registration went like a dream several years ago (shocked me) but I did have correct paperwork to submit. My latest trailer, a 1955 from Montana, also went so smooth I went to the local Pub to celebrate. But again I had paperwork they wanted (old title with names and info). My earlier experiences usually were with no titles, homebuilts or some flaw in the documentation. Sometimes they wanted proof of all parts and pieces I purchased to construct, and taxes I paid or didnt pay......often it was a frustrating mess. I should have found someone at the State Patrol to speak with.........maybe even off the record......to understand what was wanted. And I say wanted, because as Danny may attest to, the person you are dealing with makes a big difference. Some of the "staff" I dealt with wouldnt have cared if I bought the rig from the Gov Herself. Just be patient (not like me) and calm.......and be willing to try another inspection station if needed.......different staff?????
Dave S
Teardrop Builder

Postby Toyotamike » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:00 am

So even though I have a title, registration and what not since it's a harbor freight trailer, I still need to get it inspected? Just trying to get my ducks in order as I need to renew the tabs for it anyways and might as well do everything needed at once.
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to North West