Leslie Gulch, Succor Creek Canyon PICTURES

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Leslie Gulch, Succor Creek Canyon PICTURES

Postby robfisher » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:04 pm

Just heard a rumor that there is may be a winter gathering January 29-30, 2015 in Idaho of all places. Anybody interested in seeing some great little canyons and meeting some local teardroppers? Weather report says it will be perfect for winter camping. Around 40 for highs and 28 for lows.
Last edited by robfisher on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Leslie Gulch, Succor Creek Canyon

Postby robfisher » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:58 am

OK The Leslie Gulch Freezeout is official. It runs from Jan 29,2015 to whenever we get to cold, probably Sunday morning. It's a no host event. We'll also be takinga side trip through Succor Creek Canyon. You can expect to see mountain sheep in the gulch and on another side trip wild horses. Things to do include sight seeing, hiking, and sitting around the fire ring telling lies. We already have 4 teardrops signed up so come on out. Expect night time temps to be around 20-25 and daytime temps around 40. Dress warm. Any questions just ask.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:15 am

Here is a link to some info about where it is.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g28958 ... regon.html

North of Jordon Valley Oregon
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:06 pm

Well we had a good campout last weekend Jan 29th-Feb 1st. I drove to Rob's shop and meet him and headed out. He was going to follow in a few hours with his friend Pat and their trailers.

I ended up taking the long way in gravel and dirt( mud) roads. They were not to bad. The county road I live on is muddier at this time. I went south on Succor Creek road in Oregon.

As you can see it was a bit over clouded and at times was driving up in the clouds. Road was not bad. Just a few rocks had rolled down on it but I was able to get by, around or over them. Then after about 25 miles turned onto Leslie Gulch Road for 19 miles to the camp ground.

I got to the camp and set my my trailer and then went to the boat ramp to check out the Owyhee Reservoir.

That is the boat ramp from the bottom of the reservoir. A bit dry and from the looks of the weeds has not had much water in it for a long time. I drove around down there for a bit and headed back to camp when Rob and Pat pulled in. Camp ground only had one other couple in it so we pretty much had out choice of the about 24 sites. Every other site has a nice shade over it. each has a nice table and fire pit. We fixed supper and enjoyed the camp fire. It was about 28 degrees when we went turned in and it was about 24 when we got up. Friday it was still over cast. Until late afternoon. WE drove around and explored the gulch a bit. I ran into these mountain sheep on the gulch road.

Another night of campfire, stories and food. Thanks for the steak and fish guys. And the next morning it was a bit colder but not bad except for the frost but we managed in style.

Rob and Pat left on Saturday Jan 31st and I stayed another night. Loren and Claudia from Meridian Idaho stopped by for a visit. Their trailer is still in winter storage. Found out we had all been at the University of Idaho at the same time but I had not met them. I had the camp ground all to myself that night. Could hear some geese or loons and an owl or two. Full moon and it did not get very cold at all. Only got down to about 30 Sunday morning.

All in all it was a good mini gathering, Not common that this area is snow free this time of year.

I am planning on another gathering there but with some more warning.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Re: Leslie Gulch, Succor Creek Canyon PICTURES

Postby pchast » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks for the pictures of another part of the country. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Return to North West