Gorge Gathering 2016?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Gorge Gathering 2016?

Postby Martinjmpr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi, Folks. I know we're not even done with the 2015 camping season but Liz and I are somewhat obsessive planners and we're working on our calendar for next year.

Is there going to be a Gorge Gathering in 2016? If so, can I safely assume it will be over Memorial Day weekend like it was this year? And when will registration open?

As you can see from the map below, Washington is the only state in the PNW we haven't visited so we'd like to add it to our map! Also I was stationed in Washington from 1989 - 91 and have been looking for a reason to get back there ever since!

Thanks in advance for any info the good folks here can provide! :thumbsup:
Martin and Liz and our new T@B Clamshell "Livia"

Our old Teardrop "bubbles"
Bubbles version 2.0 build thread!

Our Facebook group:
Colorado Teardroppers and Tiny Trailers Camping Group (FB)

States we've visited with Bubbles and Livia: Image
Martinjmpr
Teardrop Master

Re: Gorge Gathering 2016?

Postby Vedette » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi Martin & Liz
Your travel map is quite impressive! :applause: We tried to make one for our posts, but do not have the computer skills.
Now to your visit to Washington? Yes, the Gorge Gathering is a great event. :thumbsup: But.....you will only be about a 1000 ft into Washington???? :roll:
So, unless you would like to follow us home from the Gorge Gathering or take the whole month off and follow us home from the Dam Gathering then travel back down to the Gorge with us, you won't get to see as much of Washington as it deserves. ;) Besides you will get the bonus of adding B.C. to your map. :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Did you send me an e-mail yesterday???
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Martinjmpr » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Vedette wrote:Hi Martin & Liz
Your travel map is quite impressive! :applause: We tried to make one for our posts, but do not have the computer skills.
Now to your visit to Washington? Yes, the Gorge Gathering is a great event. :thumbsup: But.....you will only be about a 1000 ft into Washington???? :roll:
So, unless you would like to follow us home from the Gorge Gathering or take the whole month off and follow us home from the Dam Gathering then travel back down to the Gorge with us, you won't get to see as much of Washington as it deserves. ;) Besides you will get the bonus of adding B.C. to your map. :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Did you send me an e-mail yesterday???

No, I didn't send an email, must have been someone else?

And yes, I know the Gorge Gathering is just across the river into Washington, right now what it looks like is we will be taking about 10 days total, most likely leaving Colorado around the 21st of May. We will then spend some time camping and exploring, possibly as far as the Olympic Peninsula or maybe even North Cascades NP, then we will make our way down to the gathering and head home from there.

Our Facebook group:

Martinjmpr
Teardrop Master

Postby Vedette » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Martin
As Memeorial Day is on the 30th in 2016 and the Gorge Gathering is memorial day weekend, your trip plan will work.
But if you come thru the Cascades from the west, then down 97, you will have to back track to the east to get there (that is the way we have to go) so you might want to consider coming in from the east a little higher and make your loop in a counter clockwise direction coming south down the coast and entering Stevenson from the West.
The Northern cascades are beautiful that time of year, but the current fires may be changing a lot of the landscape.
A dryer more southernly route would be to come in from the bottom corner of Washington at the Tri Cities, travel up to Dry Falls via Soap Lake, then across to Wenatchee via hwy. 2 and out to Leavenworth and continue over the Stevens pass to the Seattle area, or turn and go south to Yakima via the Blewett pass then over Hwy 12 on the south side of Mt. Raineir on your way over to I5 to go south to Camas and over to Stevenson on Hwy 14.
Which ever way you choose to go, you will enjoy Washington at that time of year.
We would love to meet up with you for a night or so on your travels.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm

If you go to North Cascades National Park I highly recommend Newhalem as a campground. It's the best up there.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:35 am

The Gorge Gathering is currently scheduled as a go. I have made plans to attend, and asked for Friday off. It is about as safe a bet that it will come off as possible.
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby Martinjmpr » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:08 pm

We saw on the web site that it is for "teardrops and vintage trailers only." Would we be welcome with our T@B?

Our Facebook group:

Martinjmpr
Teardrop Master

Postby Jim.Johnson » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm

I don't pretend to speak for the organizers but I'd call a T@B a teardrop. From what I saw last year there was a wide range of trailer types.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby byrdz1 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:35 pm

There are other T@Bs that attend, small trailers are welcome
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby rahtware » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi all.
We are looking forward to the 2016 camping year and Stevenson is on the top of the list , just behind the IRG. Due to family stuff we didn't get to camp as much in 2015 as we wanted to, but '16 is looking good with only a couple of dates blocked out. We also want to make "The Farm" gathering and a couple of others as we can fit them into our travels. The tightest part of the year will be late May and all of June. I'm waiting to see what dates the IRG will take place so I can set up our yearly family camp-out at Lake Pillsbury (12 miles in on a rough dirt road, just north of Clear Lake, CA) which takes place in June.

On a totally unrelated subject, I would like to attend the 2016 Cyclecart races in Tieton, WA in the end of June. Looks like it could be fun... When is The Farm gathering??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2RNzA5qJmw
Larry & Peggy
Real Airplanes Have Two Wings And Round Engines.
rahtware
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:36 am

Merry Christmas Larry & Peggy
We would love to have you attend our Farm Gathering in 2016.
We too are waiting for the IRG date before we set our date.
One of my thoughts is to move the Farm Gathering date to Labour Day and use it as the kick off to the Fall Crawl.
Not confirmed yet, but have been getting very positive feedback so far.
Hope all of our new Teardrop Friends have a very Happy Holiday Season.
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Loren » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:37 pm

Brian:
That works for us- farm first then crawl. Should i look for an English-Canadien phrase book?
Loren
Loren
Teardrop Advisor

Postby byrdz1 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Hint:

deckles = decals
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby rahtware » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Br-andi (sorry, just watched the episode of The Big Bang Theory where the kids were combining couples names to make one name, and Brand(y) seemed to really fit you two.

Anyhoo, My stress level is slowly declining so am thinking I might be able to have a great camping year, although we might have to move to Or/Wa to be able to make all of the trips. Just to mention a few; Shasta in April, Stevenson end of May, Tieton (maybe) end of June, The Farm and fall crawl starting on September 5th... unless you are talking about the Canadian Labor day which falls on September 5.... WTH, you stole our holiday?? ;) Really miss you guys and hope to make contact with you and many of the other great teardrop and small trailer campers we've met over the past couple of years.

Pe-ry. or is it La-gy
Larry & Peggy
rahtware
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rahtware » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:59 pm

Martian I just had the discussion with another gathering organizer who admitted that she would have an uprising in her group if she allowed ANY T@B to attend. I think a lot of it comes from the fact that the early, non clam-shell T@Bs were a mini trailer "hidden" in a teardrop shape. Heck, I know of a gathering that I can't take my Silver Shadow to, but newer, non-owner built trailers can because of the way the rules are phrased. Anyway, it all works for me as the gatherings I have attended and some that I have missed, but plan on trying to get to this year tend to be more inclusive in both trailer type and welcome. BTW, I've taken a serious look at trading in for a T@B CS, but we both need to sleep on a side of the bed and, at my size I find the "bathroom" would end up being a closet.

hope to run into you at Stevenson

larry
Larry & Peggy
rahtware
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to North West