2015 PNW Fall Crawl Report

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

2015 PNW Fall Crawl Report

Postby Vedette » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Well, our 1st Annual Fall Crawl is over now. ;crying;
And I would like to report that it surpassed all of our expectations for a new and untried event here in the Pacific North West. :thumbsup:
Upon departure day we had officially signed up 15 teardrop trailers (14 of which actually participated in this year's event).
This alone was seen as a major feat for a 1st ever event that took place over a full 10 day period and covered a great many miles.
We managed to have participants from Washington, Idaho, Montana, & B.C. :applause:
The entire Crawl consisted of 9 nights in 7 different Campgrounds going from the West coast of Washington across scenic Hwy. 20, ending in Post Falls Idaho.
We started on the Pacific West Coast participating in a Vintage Trailer Rally in Lynden Wa. where we spent 2 nights. There were a total of 9 teardrops in for the first night and 11 the second night. From there we traveled to our 3rd night destination at Swift Creek Campground on Baker Lake where we had reserved a group loop. After picking up 2 more Crawl participants in Sedro Wooley our number had grown to 13 for our night at this beautiful campground.
The next day we traveled over the scenic Cascade mountains, stopping at many of the look outs and points of interest along the way, before arriving in the Western Theme town of Winthrop in the Methow Valley. There we stayed 2nights at the Pine Near Campground just a short walk from town. Campground owners Anna & Glenn made this stop very affordable for us and have a wonderful campground facility. There were 13 of us for the first night and 12 for the second (we had lost one participant after Baker Lake but gained another at Winthrop before losing another participant on the second day) * Please note: We did not really lose anyone on the Crawl....some had to leave us along the way due to other commitments!
For night number 6 we traveled over to the Okanogan Valley to Conconully SP where we were seriously outnumbered by the deer in the camping area, but we did have 12 trailers stay at this beautiful campground.
After saying goodbye to 2 more of our group we had a short drive the following day which took us thru Tonasket Wa., where we all enjoyed a tasty Mexican lunch at Rancho Chico's (Sandi's favorite restaurant in all of Washington State) to Bonapart Lake where we stayed in a majestic rustic setting of a Forrest Service campground right on the lake. Most participants said this was their favorite campground of all!
After a night of laughter in the 30 ft. Tee Pee styled tent that Inman's had brought with them, we left for Lake Gillette east of Colville Wa., 10 of us arrived at a prearranged Beaver Lodge were we set up camp right on the waterfront.
After a wonderful dinner in the Lodge, Larry Inman took us for an evening Pontoon Boat cruise thru 3 of the lakes in this 4 lake chain. It was a clear cool crisp night with a wonderful moon.
The next morning we said goodbye to 2 more of our group before heading out on the last official leg of our journey to Post Falls Idaho, where we were greeted by other Teardrop Trailer and Car enthusiasts at the 1st annual Phuddy Duddy Car, Bike, and Vintage Trailer Show.
In all we had 8 trailers that made the "Full" pull, and 20 wonderful people attending this year's Fall Crawl! ;applause;
Each location offered us something different. :thinking:
And each night was also completely different, as we got together for our nightly campfire (propane due to the Fire situation that was just ending in the area of the Crawl).
We had potluck dinners, community breakfasts, wine & cheese nights, dinners out, happy hour afternoons (some well spent time making "Montana Margaritas in the newly purchased $4.00 Binford 600 Pro Blender) and shared many interesting stories with our new found Teardrop Friends.
I am sure some lifelong friendships were established during this event and some new outlooks on life were formulated along the way.
For those of us that organized the 2015 Fall Crawl, I am sure we all came away satisfied that it was a successful and worthwhile adventure into Teardrop Camping, due to the enthusiasm shown by all of those that attended.
100% of which said they would be back next year and go "Wherever" we wished to lead them!
After suggestions and input from the 2015 group, tentative plans are already in the works for the 2016 Fall Crawl. ;thinking;
Hope you will consider putting us on your 2016 Camping Schedule! :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Re: 2015 PNW Fall Crawl Report

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Brian:

It didn't happen. :pictures: There's no photos! :D

I saw a 'drop come through Salmon the other day and I wonder if it was on the Crawl?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:31 pm

tony.latham wrote:Brian:

It didn't happen. :pictures: There's no photos! :D

Tony

Yep, no pictures, didn't happen.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:40 pm

I down loaded 155 pictures from the Crawl this morning. ;)
Now I just have to get them to Greg so he can make the official video! :thumbsup:
Be patient.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:01 pm

Oh my! Two and a half months and nothing to show, not even from the participants. :shock:
Actually I was wondering how the Loup Loup Pass road was with all the fires at the time.
I was watching the fire maps and the Depue Creek area I like to camp at was in the burn area.
I'm thinking I might head up there this spring for a weekend.
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 am

Hi Eric
The media over sensationalized the fires throughout the NW. :thinking:
Yes, there were thousands of acres covered by fire, but most of it was grassland (burned fast....recovered fast). The area over loop loop pass has had its fair share of fires over the past 4 years (worst being 2014) There was damage done on the east side, north of Omak.......but nothing like we thought we were to see??? :roll:
It was pretty much clear sailing during the crawl and we encountered very little devastation, or even evidence of what had been reported. :shock:
On the upside; some of the towns and campgrounds that we visited (that had been reported destroyed were in pristine condition and we were the only ones there! :twisted:
But, the campgrounds at loop loop may not be your best choice for next Spring. Push on another 1/2 hr and go to Conconully.
Which is only 2 hrs and 15 min. south of us.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

PS
Greg is working on out Crawl Video as we speak??????
I hope. :oops:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mukilteo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 pm

I prefer to boondock in the middle of nowhere over camp ground camping and there are plenty of places in the Loup Loup Pass area for that.
I have a few favorite spots. Started going there in the early 70's when you would never see any one else, now you do.
(I'm socially inept, just ask my co-workers)
Eric
Mukilteo
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Mukilteo wrote:I prefer to boondock in the middle of nowhere over camp ground camping and there are plenty of places in the Loup Loup Pass area for that.
I have a few favorite spots. Started going there in the early 70's when you would never see any one else, now you do.
(I'm socially inept, just ask my co-workers)

Too Bad :(
As there are some beautiful campgrounds through out the PNW.
Sounds like you might like the area up highway 20 east of 97 around Bonapart Lake. Rustic and not overly busy.
And BEAUTIFUL!! :thumbsup:
I think our Fall Crawl opened the eyes of all those who participated, as there were new venues for everyone. ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm

my favorite memory of Loup Loup Pass this year was getting the "historical lesson in time travel of yesteryear" passing Steve and his gorgeous '28 all original Model A (40 HP 4cyl w/mechanical brakes) towing his 'woody' teardrop going up hill at about 15/20 mph than watching him roll into Conconelly about 2 to 3 hours later. Yes, there had been some fire there and probably was the place on whole trip where we got the closest to the burn, but none of the fires took away from how great the trip was and I am getting itchy feet right now just thinking about the 2016 planned Crawl!!!!! Lets GO!!!!!!
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Mike B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:45 am

We enjoyed having the teardrops stop overnight at our show in Post Falls, ID. It gave me a chance to talk to people I have not seen for several years. And to take pictures, too. :)

Pictures: http://phuddyduddies.org/events/phuddy_duddy_show_2015.html
Video version: https://youtu.be/lF7Sj-eJveo
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks Mike
It was so great to meet you and the other teardrop owners that attended the 1st annual Phuddy Duddy Rally.
We are in the planning stages for the 2016 Fall Crawl.
We sure hope you can make it .........your DO cooking is legendary! :thumbsup:
Merry Christmas
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Return to North West