Land of Mordor Mud Boggers Expedition May 19th - 22nd 2016

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Re: Land of Mordor Expedition May 19th - 22nd 2016

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Vedette wrote:So just how far off of the pavement it this place??? :thinking:
Brian

Depends.......

You can get close on pavement except maybe the last 3 or 4 miles.
Coming in from Utah, you can save quite some time by will to drive 30 miles of dirt/gravel road.
That gravel road is a wide open country road, so 50 mph is not a problem if you are willing to take a chance on some rock damage.
From the north, its blacktop except the last 3 or so miles when you turn west into the City of Rocks.
At that point its just nice and slow at 20 to 25 mph.
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:24 pm

City of Rocks is only about 5 good miles of gravel off the pavement. The little expedition I am planning starts at pavement's edge and will some where around 125 miles of gravel, dirt, rock and mud before we see pavement again.

:NC

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Wolfgang92025 wrote:That gravel road is a wide open country road, so 50 mph is not a problem if you are willing to take a chance on some rock damage.

Brian, of course you don't have to do 50 on the gravel. Come on down! We'd love to meet Miss Piggy. :yes: She may not like the boonies so much. :NC
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby robfisher » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:48 pm

capnTelescope wrote:
Wolfgang92025 wrote:That gravel road is a wide open country road, so 50 mph is not a problem if you are willing to take a chance on some rock damage.

Brian, of course you don't have to do 50 on the gravel. Come on down! We'd love to meet Miss Piggy. :yes: She may not like the boonies so much. :NC

Yes Brian, Come on down for Land of Mordor. It will be heap big fun.
Rob
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Love to?
But.....I am getting mixed messages here?? :?
In the 34,000 miles plus we have towed Miss Piggy, she has seen her share of gravel roads, power line roads, off grid campsites, etc.
But, there is a big difference between 3 or 4 miles off of the pavement at 25 mph, to 125 miles of 4 wheel driving around in the boondocks?
Sorry....Sandi likes flush toilets, and MP likes paved roads she can stretch her legs on at 80 + MPH.
"Off the Grid" obviously has different meaning to us? (In Canada it just means, there is no shoreline power!)
We will have to see........once we get the real story???? :thinking: Otherwise we will probably be in Winthrop Washington that weekend??
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Last edited by Vedette on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 am

I am getting ready to cut an edition of the TOWLine, would you like me to put this in? If so would one of you please write up a synopses and contact information? I have followed the thread, but I am a little confused. :SG :frustrated:
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:57 am

Brian. The roads I plan on are not 4x4, unless they are wet. Will be gravel, dirt, occasional rock. 4x4 not really needed. Ground clearance is. No toilets out there unless you bring one. I have been given one of those water things but have not yet tried it and I have two privacy shelters. No services of any kind out there.

Randy
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:00 am

byrdz1 wrote:I am getting ready to cut an edition of the TOWLine, would you like me to put this in? If so would one of you please write up a synopses and contact information? I have followed the thread, but I am a little confused. :SG :frustrated:

I would like for you put it in the TOWLine.

Land of Mordor Expedition May 19th-22nd 2016 The week before IRG. It is an easy two day drive to IRG from here.

What is it? We will be in the Southern Part of the Craters of the Moon National Monument in Southern Idaho and areas close by. We will camp in different places each night. Lots of lava landscape. Lava flows, The Great Rift. Big South Butte. Hiking on lava. Oregon Trail. Sheep herders.

Plan to meet at Kimama Idaho 12 noon May 19th to head out. From there it will be gravel, dirt roads with some rocks for about 100-150 miles. 4x4 not really needed just ground clearance. If you do no want to take your trailer out there tenting is perfectly okay. I live close to Kimama and can leave trailers and vehicles at my place. Close as a Western term means. Do not need to stop for gas or eats. 10 miles actually. I will try to have maps for every vehicle of the desert.

Any one is welcomed. Not just for teardrops. Just as long as your vehicle can make it or you can get a ride with someone. I will probably be able to take 2 passengers with me. Other people may be able to offer a ride.

Facilities........................................................................................ LOL................................................................
There are no facilities out there. Bring it or do with out. There are no entrance fees in this part of the Monument. No camp ground fees, No camp grounds.

What to bring. One gallon of water for each day. More if you plan of washing anything. Warm clothing. Even if it is a warm day this is high desert and nights are cool. Frost is still possible. As there are no tables out there a folding table might be nice for some. Hiking staff. ( not only for hiking ) Trash bags. I do hope this will be a leave no trace event. FSR Radios. A real shovel if you have one already. Don't run out and buy one, I have one and not every one will need a shovel. I will have at least 5 gallons of extra gas so no real reason for anyone else to pack around a jug unless you really want to. If you have a diesel rig let me know and I will get a 2.5 gallon jug filled. ( don't worry I have a tractor I can use it in )

Dangers, Yes there are some. This is not a developed area. Rattle snakes, ticks, black widow spiders, scorpions, mountain lions, badgers, injuries from hiking. A deep feeling you want to return. A deep feeling you want to use your hiking stick on me. This is a desert and it occasionally kills but mostly the very stupid. At least mosquitoes should not be a problem.

Dog friendly. But if you see some large white long haired dogs about it could be wise to put your dog on a leash. The are sheep guard dogs.

Deer, antelope, elk, fox, coyotes, jack rabbits, cotton tails, sage grouse, snipe ( bring your snipe bag and stick for the snipe hunt ) mountain lion, bob cats. sage brush that goes on and on and on.

Cell phones probably will not work for most of the trip. I will have a 2 way radio with me that I probably will be able to reach people with in case of emergency.

If it rains who knows what will happen.

I have one Porta Pot and 2 privacy shelters. More would probably be nice if you have them to share.

Last chance for gas and supplies will be Paul and Shoshone Idaho.

It really is not that hard of a drive. But not meant for a street car. Will be dusty, boring. But what I find to be some really cool volcanic sites. Some history. And a great place to get away from people.

A long description but this is not your usual, park it and gab and eat for the weekend campout.

IM me ( Randy ) here or email [email protected] and put Mordor in the subject line.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:07 am

Brian. Just looked at the pictures in your signature line. Miss Piggy could probably do it. But not that tow vehicle.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Got it, thanks!
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:13 pm

I hope it is not to confusing.
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby byrdz1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Nope, it was great, I made a couple of small typo edits, but it is in there, and I updated the events list on the website as well.
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:25 pm

You guys are going to have an interesting trip "out there", as Wolffarmer puts it. Which is actually a damn good, almost Aussie-like name for that country. I've been fascinated with it for fifty years. I recall being in a botany lab a million years ago and the instructor asked if anyone had ever seen a fern in a desert. I raised my hand. He said I was wrong but I wasn't––they grow in the lava crevices.

I'd buzz on down, but the timing is off.

That's Big Southern Butte. (No, there shouldn't be any white stuff on this adventure.) Back in the early seventies, while working as a summer-time firefighter, I'd haul water to the lookout that's on top. I hope you-all get a chance to drive to the summit. It's a view.

The Indians poked around out there for 14,000 years. Think about that while you're cooking dinner out there. Tough isn't a strong enough word.

Kudos for Randy for organizing this thing and snapping the lead rein. :thumbsup: :pictures: :beer: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:17 pm

tony.latham wrote:I'd buzz on down, but the timing is off.

Yeah, Yeah. I think you should un-conflict the schedule conflicts and get your priorities right and join us. :R

Beautiful pic, BTW.

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:05 pm

I think you should un-conflict the schedule conflicts...

I'm going go perform an unconflicted nap in Flash, our 'drop.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to North West