Want to see one in person!

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Want to see one in person!

Postby marianwhit » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 am

Hello all, I am considering buying a TD and have only seen photos. I am looking for anyone in the Portland OR area who has one, particularly a Hunter which seems that it will best suit my needs. I am not a small person so I need to see if one will work for me. I have just driven 2,500 miles and hoped to see one on my travels but struck out due to the holiday season. I am going to be travelling back and forth from here to Cape Breton Nova Scotia once a year for a while.

I am also interested in the Hunter Manufacturers. Was your experience good? Did they meet their time schedule? Does the trailer stand up to the "lovely" Oregon winter?

Thanks![/img]
marianwhit
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:44 am

Marian--

I was trying to convince my wife to move up from a tent to ANYTHING that wasn't on the ground. We looked at everying from a tent trailer to a motorhome. We happended to walk into an Eddie Bauer and a HU-1 was on display. We looked at each other and immediately knew a teardrop was for us. We then began looking at all the various manufacturers - building or renovating was not an option. We looked at Hunter, Camp-Inn, ones manufactured in Oregon, California, and throughout North America. Considering what we wanted and ho we planned to use it the Hunter Fat Shadow fit our needs best. They each had the pros and cons.

We talked to other Hunter owners to inquire as to their satisfaction of their units. All had positive responses. I then called and talked to SuZanne at Hunter. She was very polite and helpful. Their standard galley layout is the cupboards on the lower left with an opening on the lower right. They do offer the utensil drawer on the right just below the counter. We requested that and also two more drawers below that to fill in that space. We travel with our ice chest in the car and place it on a folding table when camping. They were more than happy to accomodate our requests.

If you happen to be in the Sacramento area let us know and we would be happy to show you our Hunter.

Rob
P.S. I have pictures of it if your go to my profile &/or website.
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:23 pm

Marian,

I don't if this is much help but we are just about to ship a Camp-Inn to a customer in Portland. I am sure he would love to show you that if it will help.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:39 pm

Marian, welcome to the board...there area several folks in your area that have tears or they are in the building process, I am sure you will find one to look at...be sure and send Cary a PM with your paticulars and let him set you up to view the Camp_inn they are shipping your way...I am absolutely sure you will be impressed...Hunter's have a very good rep and the builders are reputed to be very nice and accommodating folks. Whichever way you choose to go I hope you will let us know and join up with the various groups in your area for a gathering...and we would really like to hear about your experiences and see pics...we really luv the pics...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby DRYVEM » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Marian,

We own both a Hunter and a Camp-Inn. Would be happy to show you both tears and discuss the merits of each. We are near Eugene, right on I-5. Let me know what works for you.
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

ANother option

Postby Toms_Strat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Marian,

I will be picking up my Teardrop later this month Built by Ed's Custom Cabinets. He makes the "Tear-4-Two". I am in Tacoma, so if you are passing through I would be glad to show it. In addition, Ed is in the process of building 4 units, so there are still 3 more up for grabs here shortly, he showed me two he had made and I was very impressed, as are some of the people I have talked to here that own his...
Oh yea, and I will be posting pics asap....
Tom
We can not change the direction of the wind, only alter our sails accordingly.
Toms_Strat
Teardrop Advisor

Postby emiller » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:30 pm

8) I know it's aways but I will be in Portland on August 2nd and 3rd
emiller
Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:17 am

Marian, I'm building the Generic Benroy from this site. It's not done and probably not up to the standards of a manufacturer, but I could show it to you. You can see it here. http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1098
PM me if you're interested.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TRDRPR » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:25 pm

Marian-

We're in Portland and have one of Ed's Tears-4-Two. Ours is 4 x 8, the same size as the Hunter, so you can try it out for size. We're planning to bring it up from RV storage this weekend (we live in a condo) so drop me an email with your phone number in it, if you want to stop by and see it. Send the email to fizziksisfun at hotmail.com.

Gretchen
TRDRPR
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TRDRPR » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:02 pm

Marian,

Our teardrop is now in our garage and will probably be there all week and next weekend before we get a chance to take it back down. If you'd like to come by, drop me an email.

Gretchen
TRDRPR
Teardrop Advisor

Gosh I am overwhelmed!

Postby marianwhit » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 pm

:duh Thank you to all who have written to me! How very exciting to see such enthusiasm. I got VERY lucky and bought a 2005 Hunter fat shadow from a man in Seattle who had NEVER used it. He did neglect it however, by leaving it outside in the rainiest season we've had since '96. But at least I know where the leaks are! :( They are happening around the seal where the back hatch opens and the bottom of one door. No damage yet. I have tarped it and am fervently working on making room in my garage for it so I can really dry it out. Does anyone have recommendations on gaskets or other leak-proofing techniques? It had a broken tail light lens that I was able to replace, and the removable caster on the tongue jack was missing, but I solved that by simply adding another jack with a wheel since I could not find a braking caster the right size, and the folks at Hunter have not gotten back to me about it. My next challenge has been a very steep driveway, with a narrow street. No way to back it in, and I feel more secure with the tongue facing the house anyway. So I bought a "come-along" and winched it up as far as I could, and I also bought a proper winch that I will mount permanently in the garage. Now I am trying to find some poor slob who is willing to move a large pile of dirt and a larger pile of mulch out of the way, and then help me build a temporary shelter for all of my cold sensitive plants who are being kicked out of the garage. Hopefully that slob won't be me! It is very wet and cold!

Thank you all for your advice and interest.
So I guess I am on my way. The Hunter was my first choice (as I am not able to build my own), and I could never have afforded one new. The stars aligned for me. I have a Hobie catamaran that I am always tinkering with, and I am pretty sure I have bought it's land equivalent ('cept it doesn't go very fast)! Would take pictures, but you can see them on Hunter's website. I WILL personalize it, as I feel that is one of my best defenses against theft.
marianwhit
Silver Donating Member

Postby billnut » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:00 pm

:lol: Well Rob there's anther one. But shucks they didn't get to meet Phil :lol: :lol:
Bill
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Great photo!

Postby marianwhit » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:20 am

Bilnut, what a fabulous use for a scooter! :thinking: And...you needn't refer to me in the third person :shake hands:
marianwhit
Silver Donating Member

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:34 am

Marian--

Welcome to the Hunter Club. Sorry Cary, but we stole this one from you. :lol:
Depending on the leaks a little caulk MAY work. You can check with Phil & SuZanne to see what was originally done. Start at http://www.mrglobal.com Their phone number is 208-664-1291, email is [email protected].

Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Teardrops in the flesh

Postby Sandino » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:29 am

Hi All - A budding TD planner/builder here, with lots of experience building boats. Also take some pride in figuring out how to make things work - but would like to see how hatches and doors are put together (sealed, really). Something about watertight at 100km intrigues me.

I'm in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and have only ever seen one TD passing by - if anyone can direct me to a nearby TD, it would be greatly appreciated. Alternately, I might be able to exchange a boat ride on the beautiful Bras d'Or Lakes in return for a chance to examine a TD up close, should someone be passing by this summer..............Cheers KS
Sandino
Teardrop Inspector

Return to North West