teardrops in the Tacoma, Gig harbor area

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

teardrops in the Tacoma, Gig harbor area

Postby 240zron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:50 am

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, And have been checking out the site pretty heavy the last couple weeks. All I can say is this is a great forum, Full of information.

I have been looking for some kind of a small trailer to use for weekend trips, And the teardrop looks like it would be perfect. I have picked up a Harbor freight fram (4'x8') And I'm ready to start a build.

I wanted to see if there may be anyone in the Tacoma, Gig harbor Wa. area that might have a tear drop I could look at before i start my build.

I have been really looking at the weekender, But have been also looking at the boxter by Tiny Tears, Has anyone purchased the plans, and built the boxter that may be able to tell me how good there plans are? The site really doesen't give to much info on what you get with the plans.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby archer59y » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am

I will be in Gig Harbor next weekend with my extra small teardrop.

My brother tells me there is a car dealer in Tacoma ( somewhere just before the narrows bridge) that has several new teardrops on his lot.
Bob H

"All our present problems are the result of previous solutions.
archer59y
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Toms_Strat » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Ron.

I am in Tacoma, and have a 4x8. There are a few pics in my album. BUt, this might be your lucky weekend, if you have time... I am loading up the trailer this morning and around noon we will be heading out fo Penrose state park, right down the road from you! Not exactly sure which site, but I would suspect we will be the only TD there, so if you would like to stop by this evening or tomorrow feel free. Would love to show you the trailer if full action :) :) :) If you can't make it by just drop me a line and we can work out coming to Tacoma to see it.

Anyhow, welcome and hope to see you this weekend!

Tom ad Jackie
We can not change the direction of the wind, only alter our sails accordingly.
Toms_Strat
Teardrop Advisor

Re: teardrops in the Tacoma, Gig harbor area

Postby halfdome, Danny » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:04 pm

240zron wrote:Hi,
I'm new to the forum, And have been checking out the site pretty heavy the last couple weeks. All I can say is this is a great forum, Full of information.

I have been looking for some kind of a small trailer to use for weekend trips, And the teardrop looks like it would be perfect. I have picked up a Harbor freight fram (4'x8') And I'm ready to start a build.

I wanted to see if there may be anyone in the Tacoma, Gig harbor Wa. area that might have a tear drop I could look at before i start my build.

I have been really looking at the weekender, But have been also looking at the boxter by Tiny Tears, Has anyone purchased the plans, and built the boxter that may be able to tell me how good there plans are? The site really doesen't give to much info on what you get with the plans.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi Ron, I'm in the Puyallup area and my build is now licensed and maybe we could meet somewhere close to Puyallup. My profile is a copy of the L'il Bear and is a 5' x 10". Check out my album, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby 240zron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the offers. This weekend i half to be at Ocean Shores for the whole weekend for team practice :) But will get a hold of you guys when I return.

I'd love to have a look at the trailers, You all have done a fantastic job on all of them.
And by the way Danny, I used to do woodworking on the side and what I would have givin for a shop like yours, Very nice.

Well you all have a great weekend, And I'll get back to you next week
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 240zron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Tom,
Just wanted to give you a quick thanks for letting myself and my wife invade your camping spot and look at your teardrop. It was nice meeting you and your wife and son.

I really enjoyed the visit, And came away with a lot of information. I'm still trying to decide on what i want to build, But the craftsmanship of your teardrop is unbelivable.

Thanks again,
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Old Coyote » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:19 pm

Ron,
We have a 1957 Modernaire td that we are doing a little work on, You're welcome to come and take a look at it any time. We live in Spanaway.

We have pictures in our album that were taken by the previous owner.

Herb :thumbsup:
Old Coyote
Teardrop Builder

Postby 240zron » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:26 pm

Hi Herb,
Thanks for the offer. You have a great loking teardrop also. And I also love the 57 chev in the back ground. I had a 57 2-door hardtop I spent 8 years restoring, When it was done I was afraid to drive it, So I sold it :cry:

This is a great forum, So many people willing to help out.

I'll get back to you after this weekend
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Toms_Strat » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:25 pm

Ron,

Invade! No way, it was great meeting you both and hope you get that TD going soon! We are going to try and get down to Ocean Shores to see you compete, if we do does that make us official goupies? :) :)

Good luck,
Tom and Jackie
We can not change the direction of the wind, only alter our sails accordingly.
Toms_Strat
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 240zron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi Tom,

LOL, This weekend was just awesome. Got a chance to see your teardorp, Went to the beach all weekend long with great weather. It just can't get much better then that.

Ocean Shores was really busy this weekend. We staked a huge chunk of the beach, And practiced team all weekend. Today we had people stop on the beach (caused a traffic jam) And watch us practice for hours.

If you decide to come to the comp. (the weekend after next) Let me know, I'll hook you up with a kite to try out.

The next 6 months are going to be very busy for me, But I started on the frame And I'm looking for some plans, So if anyone has a good source for plans please let me know.
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Old Coyote » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Ron,
What does the TEAM GENESIS USA do? :scratchthinking:

Herb
Old Coyote
Teardrop Builder

Postby 240zron » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:23 pm

Hi Herb,

We are a kite team. We have a 3 man team that fly dual line kites. We fly to music with a routine, (looks kinda like the blue angles but with kites)

We have precision events that we fly to selected figures, We pretty much act like big kids, That takes a whole lot of practice.

We travel the whole west cost all the way into canada, Then we go to nationals somewhere in the USA different each year. And if your really good, The send you to world whick was last week in france. (all expenses paid)

Thats what we are shooting for next year. It's just a good family sport that my wife and kids are involved in with me, And we get really nice tans doing it :D
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:35 pm

240zron wrote: And I'm looking for some plans, So if anyone has a good source for plans please let me know.

Have you looked at the Generic Benroy plans? Click the link at the top right of this page. Best part is they are free!
BTW, Mike did a great job on them too.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 240zron » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:26 am

Thanks for the link. I had looked at the plans a couple weeks ago and forgot about them. He spent a lot of time on them, And did a great job.

I'll be spending a few hours studing them.

Thanks again.
Take care,
Ron Potts
Member team Genesis USA
240zron
Teardrop Advisor

Return to North West