Has anyone camped in the Columbia Gorge area?

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Has anyone camped in the Columbia Gorge area?

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:10 pm

After living in Washington for 18 years I finally discovered the Columbia Gorge last year while going to see a family member in Bingen WA. I love the waterfalls on the old scenic hwy ( Oregon side) and noticed a campsite called Beacon Rock ( Wa side) or something close to that. Has anyone camped there and how did you like it and is there any other campgrounds in the area? Can you hike above all those waterfalls or are there houses up there? It's such a beautiful area. :relaxing: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby the3beers » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:16 pm

all i know about that area is its one of the best wind surfing spots in the world one of the few places the wind blow one way and the current flows the other.
but the wind is awful strong and semi's get roll there by the wind its so bad.
the3beers
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:35 pm

I've seen the wind surfers in Hood River, quite impressive. Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:18 am

Danny, Ainsworth State park is nice and not too far.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_146.php
Nice drive thru sites with water and power. Clean facilities and firewood availible.

Lost lake is more secluded but only a short drive to Hood River.
http://www.lostlakeresort.org/
Very nice (large) sites but only pit toilets.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:39 am

bledsoe3 wrote:Danny, Ainsworth State park is nice and not too far.
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_146.php
Nice drive thru sites with water and power. Clean facilities and firewood availible.

Lost lake is more secluded but only a short drive to Hood River.
http://www.lostlakeresort.org/
Very nice (large) sites but only pit toilets.

Thanks I saved the brochure for Ainsworth it looks like a very nice place to camp at. We will have to check out Lost Lake too. :ilovecamp: Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby TRDRPR » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:13 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the trains run all night long along both sides of the Columbia River. It can get quite noisy at night and the sound echoes up the walls of the gorge.

We've camped at a few places along the gorge but our favorite is the Deschutes River State Park. There's a mountain bike trail that runs in about 10 miles or so to an old farmhouse. It's a pretty ride up the Deschutes. There's great fishing there too. No showers but some good shade.

Gretchen
TRDRPR
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jack J » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:20 pm

We have camped in the Gorge also. The scenery is gorgeous. There are quite a few nice campgrounds and like Gretchen says, the train engineers find great fun in blowing the horn as they pass by the campgrounds during the night. I couldn't find the crossing they were warning near where I was camped at the time.
Be sure to get a local map of the Oregon side and follow old Hwy 30 in the places they allow you to drive. Take your bikes to get on the other sections. While on it, remember that this was the main road in your Model A's and it sure beat the wagon roads of the pioneers. Besides it is more scenic than the freeway down by the Columbia river and that is pretty impressive itself.

Jack
Jack J
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:46 pm

Jack J wrote:We have camped in the Gorge also. The scenery is gorgeous. There are quite a few nice campgrounds and like Gretchen says, the train engineers find great fun in blowing the horn as they pass by the campgrounds during the night. I couldn't find the crossing they were warning near where I was camped at the time.
Be sure to get a local map of the Oregon side and follow old Hwy 30 in the places they allow you to drive. Take your bikes to get on the other sections. While on it, remember that this was the main road in your Model A's and it sure beat the wagon roads of the pioneers. Besides it is more scenic than the freeway down by the Columbia river and that is pretty impressive itself.

Jack

Thanks Jack, Gretchen, I love the sound of trains but it might keep Jane awake. We are planning to take a couple 3 day weekends this summer and the Gorge area is quite an attraction but what isn't nice in the Pacific North West. Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Q » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:49 pm

A couple other family type things to do in the gorge are a sternwheeler sightseeing cruise. http://www.sternwheeler.com/ and the Maryhill Museum
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/ . Don't forget to visit the stonehenge replica near Maryhill. There is camping at Maryhill State Park http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?se ... k=Maryhill

Q
Q
Teardrop Master

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:48 am

I overnight at Stonehenge every chance I get (NOT a campground, but easy to do off to one side of the parking lot in a teardrop). Things get kind of "interesting" starting right 'round 11:30 PM ... especially on the nights with full moons and new moons ... ;-} ;-} ...

The picture on my Li'l Bear home page was taken there: www.teardrops.net/LilBear

Happy Camping, and ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to North West