Lodi CA campground help

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Lodi CA campground help

Postby nevadatear » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Looking a place to camp in the Lodi area for a bird festival we plan to attend first week in November. Any locals have any suggestions? I know there are two RV places in the area, which would not be my preference, but always an option.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dave A » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:43 pm

Which Lodi ? Calif. or?
Dave A
500 Club

Postby nevadatear » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Sorry, assumed it would be understood, I guess, that it was CA since it was posted in Southwest forum.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:44 pm

I used to live there but don't have a clue. sorry
emiller
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Surprisingly, most of the campgrounds in that area are only 'middle-of-the-road' in quality.

West of Lodi, Brannan Island State Rec. may be your best bet. I've been to Brannan Island State Recreation Area and it is pretty nice. It is rated a '7' for its scenery. (Frankly, I wouldn't want to stay in a place that was rated much less than that.) It sits along the Delta and there is a boat launch nearby; so, you might get some boat noise. It is very close to Hwy 160 & Hwy 12, just 3 miles east of Rio Vista. Hwy 12 takes you east and straight into Lodi in about 20 minutes; but, stay alert on it because people tend to take their eyes off the road to look around and end up 'drifting'. They have a considerable number on accidents on that road because of it.

There are 102 sites for tents or RVs up to 36 feet long. Drinking water, restrooms, showers (at the boat launch site) and, of course, picnic tables and fire rings. The River curves around the one side of the campground.

People say that Tower Park Marina and Resort, on Hwy 12, is good. It is popular for water skiing. It's BIG: 500 sites for tents or RV, most with full hookups. It has everything....showers, restaurant, grocery store, gift shop, laundry, even propane refilling. I've been by it (not 'in' it) and haven't been impressed. There's this big tower out in the middle of nowhere..... Plus, it's only rated a '6'. Nearby is Westgate Landing County Park, also rated a '6'...No shade and very hot.

There is a Stockton-Lodi KOA that is just south of Lodi, near Hwy 99, but it must not be very good because it is rated the lowest you can go...a '1'.... The write-up says it is okay if you're only staying for the night. Close by it the Sahara Mobile Court, also rated a '1'. The best thing they have to say about it is that they play bingo every Tuesday night there. Hmmmm.....

Please remember that many bridges that go over the river there have a one-way fee charged, going North. I'm not sure how much it is now; but, I think it might be $4 or 5.00.

That is roughly what's available closeby to the west and south of Lodi. I'll check east of Lodi and see what's available there and post it separately if I find anything that might be okay.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:12 am

The following campgrounds are fairly near Lodi and all of these are rated '7' out of a possible 10 for scenic beauty:

Lake Amador Recreation Area
Lake Pardee Marina
Lake Camanche North
Lake Camanche South
Oak Knoll
Acorn West & Acorn East

All of the above have swimming, boating, and fishing. All have restrooms with showers except Oak Knoll. Oak Knoll is the smallest, with 50 camp sites. Lake Camanche North and South have 219 and 330 sites, respectively. The others have right around 100 sites each. The Lake Camanche campgrounds are the closest to the west of Lodi, just off Hwy 12 near the town of Clements. I've heard that Lake Camanche is nice but I've never stayed there.

If you need anything else, please let me know. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:05 am

thanks Sharon, that helps. Kind of leaning towards the Tower just because of closeness to the Birding venue and showers on this trip (won't be there much, just to sleep) do you have anything on Mokelumne Beach Resort RV? It is comes up often when I search, but they have no website. Are your ratings from Good Sam or some other group?
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 am

I checked in my Woodall's directory and came up with the same results as you Randy. I think the thing is.....it's Lodi! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 am

Hi, Debbie and Randy:

My information comes from California Camping, author Tom Stienstra. (I need a new book. This one is from 2002.) The number ratings are on scenic beauty only but even though they aren't supposed to tell much about the campground, they usually seem to. The comments can tell you more. I lived and worked in a nearby town for a while and used to visit the area you're talking about from time to time.

I have nothing on a Mokelume Beach Resort and have never heard of it. It may be newer than my book and my time spent in that area (or, not worth mentioning). However, here is a partial review of it from Yahoo Travel:

By A Yahoo! Contributor, 09/19/06
“I stayed here for two months while at a job. My experince was less than positive. The park is located right next to the freeway that is very noisy with a bridge for the empty big rigs to bounce across, A train that comes by every 2 to 3 hrs, a winery that has some sort of perk pond that...well stinks to the point that closing your vents does ...”

I agree that the Tower Park Marina and Resort may be your best bet. If I remember correctly, it's about 5 miles west of Hwy 5, on your left, just off Hwy 12. It has a scenic rating of 6, which isn't awful. In the summer, it's a party area for young people but you'd be okay when you're going. You'd definitely have everything you need there...except awesome beauty. But it sounds like you'll get your scenery with your birding adventure. There are a few trees in the campground but not many in the surrounding area; so, the tower sticks out like a sore thumb. The phone number is (209) 369-1041 or toll free, (800) 77-TOWER.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm

doug hodder wrote:I checked in my Woodall's directory and came up with the same results as you Randy. I think the thing is.....it's Lodi! Doug

Just about a year ago,
I set out on the road,
Seeking my fame and fortune,
Looking for a pot of gold.
Things got bad, and things got worse,
I guess you will know the tune.
Oh ! Lord, Stuck in Lodi again.

Rode in on the Greyhound,
I'll be walking out if I go.
I was just passing through,
Must be seven months or more.
Ran out of time and money,
Looks like they took my friends.
Oh ! Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again.

The man from the magazine said I was on my way.
Somewhere I lost connections, ran out of songs to play.
I came into town, a one night stand,
Looks like my plans fell through
Oh ! Lord, Stuck in Lodi again.
Mmmm...

If I only had a dollar, for ev'ry song I've sung.
And ev'ry time I've had to play
While people sat there drunk.
You know, I'd catch the next train back to where I live.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:52 pm

Mokelumne Beach Resort RV
It not listed ion the 2007 Trailer Life - Sam's campgrounds CD but may be in later editions.

The nicest one listed in the Lodi area in the the '07 edition is Flag City RV just off I-5 by Hwy 12
Campground 8.5, Visual 8.4 Restrooms 10
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 pm

dmb90260 wrote:

...I was thinking of that song when I made my first reply!

Hmmm...Never heard of Flag City RV. It looks like a brand new land yacht park right there at the corner of Hwy 5 & Hwy 12! Take a look at the pictures:

http://www.flagcityrvresort.com/
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:22 pm

thanks guys!! 8) I think we will go with Tower since one of our tours starts at the marina for a cruise. 'preciate all the help.
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby satch » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 pm

I've never been to Tower, but a work buddy goes there every year, he loves the place
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Return to South West