Interested in a San Luis Obispo, California Gathering?

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Where to hold the SLO Gathering?

Morro Bay State Park
15%
Morro Strand State Park - it's on the beach
15%
Morro Dunes - private RV park in Morro Bay
5%
Montana de Oro State Park
55%
El Chorro Regional Park - betweem SLO & MB
No votes
Avila Beach - Port San Luis
5%
Suggest another gathering location - where/why?
5%

Total votes : 20

Postby Esteban » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:54 pm

sdtripper2's links don't open for me - using firefox.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:28 pm

links updated above
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Lana's a nice camp host - Montana de Oro SP, Calif.

Postby Esteban » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:25 am

I looked at the Montana de Oro campground today (6/12/07) and met with the very nice camp host Lana.

Here, Reserve America only takes reservations Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend. After Labor Day it's first come, first served...without reservations. There are about 45 camp spots. Each spot has paved parking for two vehicles including a trailer, a table, and a fire ring. About 1/3 are well shaded. Another 1/3 have partial shade. It would seldom be hot here. There are pit toilets...I tried one out...it was well maintained. Showers are avail. 9 miles away at Morro Bay SP. Dogs on leash are welcome in the campground...but not on hiking trails.

:thumbsup: There's a rear loop with about 15 spaces that we can get an informal hold on for a weekend sometime after Labor Day. :thumbsup: Four of the camping spaces are inside the loop with plenty of space around them for DO cooking and a potluck. One pit restroom is inside the loop and another one's nearby. There's a water tank for potable water. Pine trees are scattered throughout the campground, with a stream on one side, in a small wind protected valley, within walking distance of a sandy cove and the ocean.

Lana and her husband camp host here for 6 months then at MBSP for the other 6 mos. She loves the peace, wildlife, mild weather and meeting campers from around the world. Lana says there's lots of wildlife to enjoy. Crusty the sea gull expects a daily piece of bread. He was patiently waiting nearby for Wayne, Lana's husband, to wake up from a nap and toss a slice out. A photogenic female bobcat visits many mornings. Playful sea otters frolic in the cove. Rascally raccoons will steal your grub if you don't lock it up at night. Coyotes may provide some night sounds.

She hasn't cooked for the last 3 nights. Friendly campers shared their meals. Bet she'd enjoy a TD and DO potluck! :Flippin Burger: :picnic: :campfire:

Now that I've walked through the campground and met the camp host I think Montana de Oro SP would be a very nice campsite for a small SLO, Calif. area gathering. It's beautiful, peaceful, a little secluded, yet only about 7 miles to Los Osos, 9 to Morro Bay SP, and about 20 miles from San Luis Obispo and Hwy. 101.
Last edited by Esteban on Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby martha24 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:38 am

Bravo Steve :applause:
That's just the kind of information that is needed in order to make decisions. :thumbsup:
Best of all, the information you got proves that Montana de Oro campground will work for a not too big teardrop and/or ttt gathering. :woohoo:
So I guess the next step is dates??? Obviously there isn't one date that is good for everybody, so I would suggest whoever is helping you do planning, you all pick a date so it can get marked on calendars.
Sounds good to me. :thumbsup:
The only problem that I can see would be if people don't think that would provide enough space for the people that would come.
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Esteban » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:12 am

Hi Martha, glad the information is helpful to you. It's a good sign it'll help others, too.

I pm'd sftiggee/Jolene who first proposed a SLO gathering. I've pushed this gathering idea along. But I don't want to step on her toes...it only seems fair for Jolene to have have her fair say about the date, and gathering place, before an announcement.

There are about 45 camp spots at Montana de Oro SP. We're not limited only to the 15 or so in the back loop. On a first come first served basis we can use more. We'd need people who want to come to let us know well in advance so we could tell the camp host how many to expect (and hold for us).

For a first time SLO TD&DO gathering it's hard to imagine MdeOSP campground is too small. If it is, and this one comes out well, there are larger parks to choose from for future California Central Coast Gatherings. Maybe Morro Bay SP, Lopez Lake, or Cachuma Lake.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Woo hoo!! In several days I'll be camping at Live Oak Camp in Santa Barbara County for the KCBX Live Oak Music Festival with around 2000-3000 campers. :thumbdown: Boo hoo - tent camping...hopefully this boomer's last year & last festival camping on the ground.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby tupelosue » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:21 am

I just cast my vote for MdeOro, based on mostly whim and liking the shots of spooners cove for easy coastal kayaking.

Hoping a date is chosen soon, as I work a lot of weekends and want to keep the right one clear of work.

Steve. the KCBX festival looked great. post a reminder before next year, i wouldn't mind adding that to my personal destinations calendar; small, eclectic and driveable from Napa.
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:09 pm

Steve B:

ImageImageImage

So it has been asked before....

But lets set a date so people can plan~ Image

You have allot of people interested and you have taken on the
responsibility of pointing many towards this campground,
so set a date and lets move forwardImage

Anyone speak uP if you think there needs to be more in-depth
planning or should Steve B set a date and then let the chips flyImage
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby cherokeegeorge » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:37 pm

set a date...set a date :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby billnut » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:15 am

:cry: Some one set a date i'm a old man and wan't to attend in this life time.
Bill :grouch day1: :grouch day1:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:49 am

Let the chips fly and the details can be worked out on the fly. 8)
:icedtea:
emiller
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:05 am

I'll go by MdeOSP later today to run a few details by the camp host. Other Calif. and Ariz. TD events are scheduled Sept 27-30 and Oct. 12-14. Don't want to duplicate a gathering on those weekends. It'll be a weekend after Labor Day and before the end of Oct. '07. We'll choose and announce the date by this coming Monday.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:32 am

WOW SUSPENSE!!!!!!! Tune in Monday, Same TD Time, Same TD Channel, for another exciting adveture of............The SLO Gathering!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby mfkaplan » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:07 am

Don't forget the Maxitear gathering at Rivernook (Kernville) the last weekend of October. It's tears and vintage trailers.

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:39 am

We've set the dates for Sept. 13-15, 2007. If you'll be coming please RSVP at

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=221778#221778
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member