Quickest and smallest Redwood Gathering ever...

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Quickest and smallest Redwood Gathering ever...

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:33 pm

I just talked with Halfdome Danny on his cell phone.
They had just passed thru Ukiah, heading North on their return trip from Yosemite...
Kevin and I are gonna take some cast iron out to Swimmer's D, snag 'em a campsite and fix 'em dinner. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ma3tt » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:43 pm

send me some!
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:36 am

Heck Matt,
As much racin' around that I ended up doing, I could've driven down and fixed you dinner. :lol:

First thing I did was run off and leave my wallet setting at my computer.
(Ordered my dome lights and reading light online earlier in the day)
I decided to make them a pizza and barbeque some steaks...
Well... I ran off the second time and left the steaks setting out on the counter. (Coo-Coo)
They were nice and thawed by the time I got home.
Kevin made a Cherry Chocolate Cake for dessert.
Looks like I'll be doing barbequed steaks again for tomorrow's dinner. (See... That wasn't so dumb afterall) :R
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby War Eagle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:36 am

It's funny that you say you are going to barbeque some steaks. We often get into a tift here at work about words, my boss moved here (Atl Ga)from Seattle. He mentioned barbequing something one time and I jumpped all over it. "To me" barbecue is something you make a sandwich out of or you can barbeque some ribs or a boston butt. But I would never barbeque a steak ... I grill those and hamburgers. Our/ my use of the word barbecue has to do with a sauce or very slow cooking on a grill/ smoker. But faster cooking over direct heat is grilling. Tomatoe Tomatoe. :lol: Just my thought for the day, no offense intended. :thumbsup:
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:01 am

W. E.,

In your locale, how slow is slow to be considered barbeque?
Would an hour or more be consisdered slow enough to be considered barbeque or is that still grilling?
The steaks were about two and a half feet above the briquettes and had about 2" of water soaked hickory and oak wood chips on top of the briquettes.
I don't let the wood chips ignite and the meat gets infused with smoke pretty darned heavy.
On average, it takes about an hour or more to do steaks this way.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby War Eagle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:26 pm

I would have to give in on this one and say yes, you barbequed those steaks. If I had to put a time and temp on it I would say min. 1 hour of cooking time and max 250 degrees and as you displayed, indirect heat.

I would like to hear more about your "barbecued" steaks. What kind of cut? Thickness? Marinade? I have never hear of anyone slow cooking a "steak" (ribeye, new your strip, sirloin). It sounds like something I need to try. :twisted:

I have to admit, I'm anxious to hear about this becasue after reading about your DO prime rib cover in rock salt I MUST try that some time, probably for a football tailgate weekend.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:37 pm

W.E.,
I usually do 1 1/2" to 2" rib eye that I cut myself, but those got left out on the kitchen counter at home. :oops:
The ones I did last night were measly 1/2" thin store bought rib eye.
I just coat both sides with a good sprinkling on Schillings Montreal Steak Seasoning.
I usually flip 'em once, just to get grill marks on both sides, but it isn't neccesary.
My little smoking setup is covered as well...
It takes a while, but I like 'em this way much better than grilled.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby War Eagle » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:19 pm

Doing them that long what temp do you try to keep them at? After an hour of cooking what doneness are you shooting for? Medium, medium well?

Thanks for the info, sorry about hijacking your thread but were talking about MEAT here.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:03 pm

W.E.,
I just eyeball 'em, but my guess would be 135-140F.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:01 pm

Man...I'm getting hungry. I don't care what you call it...I'll have some!!! :lol: :lol:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to South West