Considering No Mendocino Coast Campout this year

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:24 pm

Lee, I'd do the weekend before and then up to IRG. I was planning on using that weekend anyway so that would work for me. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby grant whipp » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06 pm

Lee!

Please continue the Mendo Gathering this year, and have it the weekend before IRG2.0! I'll be there (maybe even with Lisa, this time :thumbsup: ...), and then a bunch of us could just mosey on up the coast highway, maybe stop for a nght at the drive-thru tree park in Leggit, and if we just have to ... ;) ... maybe another overnight at one of the campgrounds along the Avenue of the Giants (or, maybe even Gene Barker's place up in Whitethorne). Remember how much fun it was touring out to Minden in '05? We'll just do a mini-tour to the IRG ... :thumbsup: ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby martha24 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:25 pm

grant whipp wrote:Lee!

Please continue the Mendo Gathering this year, and have it the weekend before IRG2.0! I'll be there (maybe even with Lisa, this time :thumbsup: ...), and then a bunch of us could just mosey on up the coast highway, maybe stop for a nght at the drive-thru tree park in Leggit, and if we just have to ... ;) ... maybe another overnight at one of the campgrounds along the Avenue of the Giants (or, maybe even Gene Barker's place up in Whitethorne). Remember how much fun it was touring out to Minden in '05? We'll just do a mini-tour to the IRG ... :thumbsup: ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant

That sounds like a lot of fun. :thumbsup:
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gage » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:14 pm

Is there a gas station in Albion? Just think, we could have a small caravan of West Coast Tear Jerkers, yea.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:44 am

Hey Lee,

Yeah, cancelling Mendo would be a big loss bud. I think you are seeing that this event is very much wanted. I'm in complete agreement that the weekend before IRG would be fantastic! Stacking the event with IRG only makes it stronger and more do-able for those of us traveling from afar... and a heck of a lot more fun!

IT BECOMES A MEGA TEARDROP EVENT! :awesome: :applause:

Scott "Oasis Maker"
Jeeping, Teardropping, and Cycling!......Where To Next?
Jeep Wave>> :peace: <<Jeep Wave
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lazybones » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Ok; Enough people still want it so the Mendocino coast gathering is on!!

It will be the weekend before IRG2.0. I have decided to make the first day the 20th of july through the 22 leaving the 23rd early to caravan to Pamplin.

The exact location is still up in the air as the Albion campground wants all the money up front and hasn't comfirmed we can even get the spots.

Lee
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:07 am

That bridge lends itself for a bitchen dash plaque. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:54 am

Lee, it looks like camp spots at the Albion River Campground would most likely be individually reserved by each one of us coming to your Mendocino Gathering at a cost of $30 a night for one with water and electric hookups. If so, you don't need to front a group deposit. It looks like a nice place from their website. It's your call whether you think it's a good spot for a gathering. Let us know if it's a go and we can start making our own reservations.

It's a 500 one way mile drive to IRG for me to an area I've never visited. I'd enjoy making a mini vacation out of it. A caravan from Mendocino to IRG would only add to the fun. Your gathering will break up a long drive and it'll be nice to have a couple days to relax and visit Mendocino.

The SLO Gathering came and went by too fast for me. Met lots of good fun people, made some new friends, ate well, and gawked at a mind numbing range of rolling works of art. What I'm trying to say is that two back to back gatherings in two beautiful NorCal locations sounds great. I'm ready to start making plans to come to them both.

Thanks for scouting out a good gathering site and setting the dates with more fun to follow. :thumbsup:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby tupelosue » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 am

If Lee's gathering starts on the 20th, which is Sunday, some of you might want to plan a weekend stop-over in Napa. Here are a couple of options:

Skyline Wilderness Park
2201 Imola Avenue, Napa
Hours: Monday - Thursday 9 am to dark
Friday - Sunday 8 am to dark
http://www.ncfaa.com/skyline/skyline_park.htm

Skyline Park is an 850-acre wilderness area at the southeast corner of Napa. It's managed by a non-profit organization formed to protect the area. You'll find lots of wildlife, including deer and wild turkey.

Skyline has over 25 miles of trails for hiking, biking and equestrian use. The two-and-a-half mile main trail leads to Lake Marie at the eastern end. There's also an alternate route along the ridge trail which is a much better workout, but is not for those out of shape. From this trail on a clear day, you can see San Francisco Bay, Mt. Tamalpais and Mt. Diablo. Beautiful.

Skyline also offers picnic and barbecue areas, an RV park, and tent camping. Daily visitor's fee is $5.00 per vehicle for hiking and picnicking, $6.00 per vehicle for mountain bikes and horses. RV camping is $25-$27 per site, and tent sites $8.00. The best place to hike in Napa.

Calistoga
Bothe Napa Valley State Park

3801 North Saint Helena Highway (Highway 29)
Calistoga CA 94515
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=477

Bothé is just north of Bale Grist Mill, and the two parks are connected by a one-mile trail.

The nearly 2,000 acre park has excellent trails along Ritchey Creek and through beautiful redwood groves. It offers 50 camping areas either near redwoods along the creekside, or among the oaks and manzanita on sunny slopes above the creek. Campsites are also available for groups, hikers, bicyclists, and one site is fully wheelchair accessible. Picnic areas and an outdoor swimming pool are available.

The Native American Plant Garden, Wappo People, is located next to the Visitor Center. Many of these plants are still used today by the Wappo People.

Day use fees are $5.00 per car. Camping is $16 on the weekends, $15 during the week. It's a wonderful place for all ages and the loveliest public place to hike in the entire valley.

Sugar Loaf Ridge State Park
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=481

actually in Sonoma County, between Napa and Hwy 101. There is horseback riding here, also a very cool observatory with night viewings, called Robert Ferguson Observatory, www.rfo.org

All of these places are approx 2 hours from the Mendocino area, and would be a good place to camp and be within 1 hour of San Francisco, or hang out in the Napa Sonoma areas drinking wine and eating fine meals (not to be confused with hanging out in Mendocino and Pamplin drinking and eating...)
:lol:
A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour!

tupelosue
The 300 Club

Postby Lazybones » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19 pm

I picked Sunday as the start date for a couple of reasons. It gives people who have to work on friday time to get there easily with out taking an other day of vacation if thats the case.

It is also less nights at the campground saving money. The other thought is that it flows better with the timing of the IRG starting on Wednesday.

Yesterday I talked my Mom into coming out this year from Minnesota. so I will be picking her up in SFO on Saturday morning. She is looking forward to meeting my Teardrop family.
Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind? Ask yourself these simple questions every time you are in doubt about any action.
Lazybones
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:26 pm

Lee wrote: Ok; Enough people still want it so the Mendocino coast gathering is on!!

It will be the weekend before IRG2.0. I have decided to make the first day the 20th of july through the 22 leaving the 23rd early to caravan to Pamplin.

The exact location is still up in the air as the Albion campground wants all the money up front and hasn't confirmed we can even get the spots.

Lee, is the Albion River Campground where you'll be holding the Mendocino Gathering? Or is the location still up in the air?

tupelosue, you're making this an even more enticing trip with your suggestions for good camping places near Napa.

Although, Bothe-Napa Valley State Park says it has racoons! Will the SLO Angles protect us, especially Joanne, if we camp there? We better warn Joanne to keep her windows rolled up.:thinking: 8) :roll:
The park is home to raccoons, gray squirrels, deer, foxes, bobcats, and coyotes to name a few, but they are sometimes difficult to spot because of their nocturnal habits and the heavy forest cover.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Lazybones wrote:I picked Sunday as the start date for a couple of reasons. It gives people who have to work on friday time to get there easily with out taking an other day of vacation if thats the case.

It is also less nights at the campground saving money. The other thought is that it flows better with the timing of the IRG starting on Wednesday.

Yesterday I talked my Mom into coming out this year from Minnesota. so I will be picking her up in SFO on Saturday morning. She is looking forward to meeting my Teardrop family.

Lee, you're dead on with your strategy for the dates and timing of Mendo and IRG. Mapquest puts my trip at 1022 miles (one way). So yeah, that extra day helps big time. And being self employed, when I take a day off - I don't earn.

So now I can work Friday, leave early Saturday, pick a good halfway point to camp, and arrive on Sunday. Perfect. Thanks for thinking this through as you've done! :thumbsup: :applause:

Scott "Oasis Maker"
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oasis Maker » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

Oh, and Sue - you rock! You are an incredible resource!!! :ok: Wow! The state of California is my favorite getaway and I will definitely be taping into your local knowledge!! Thanks much! I am printing out your post and sticking it in my California Map for later use. And I hope I can email you if I find myself in an area not mentioned in your post.

Scott "Oasis Maker" :relaxing:
Oasis Maker
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby billnut » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:44 pm

:o Come on Lee. Don't do that i'll have to much time on my hands. Every one knows old folks got to do all the fun things they can get in this life time!
Bill :lol: :lol:
Grandpa's are just Antique little Boys !
billnut
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:32 am

Bill,
Got too much time on your hands, eh?...
Well Good!!!
You can go to Lee's spot a week early and hold the fort down for everybody, then bug out early with us to go do setup at Pamplin.
Don't worry, we won't work yaa too hard...
How does Cookshack Supervisor sound? :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

PreviousNext

Return to South West