Setting up home in Salt Lake City/ Camping suggestions

California, Nevada, Utah & Arizona includes Nor. Cal, So. Cal, and Arizona Tearjerkers Chapters

Setting up home in Salt Lake City/ Camping suggestions

Postby Gerdo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:16 am

It looks like I'm going to be living out of my TD for a few weeks while on a job in SLC. I'm looking for more amentities than usual. Showers, Electricty, WiFi.

Any locals have any suggestions?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 am

Gerdo,

What part of SLC are you going to be in? This KOA has cable, wifi and full hookups and is right downtown http://koa.com/where/ut/44143/

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Yogi Bear » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi There,

Welcome to Utah!

Try this page...

http://www.tldirectory.com/search/index ... Y&state=UT

It works for me....

Paul
Yogi Bear
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:36 pm

The downtown KOA may be the best bet.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Well I'm here in SLC. I'll be staying at a friends house for most of my trip but I did bring my TD. I want to do some camping on my days off. Any sugestions of great hidden camping neer SLC?
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:12 am

Now yer talkin'! My wife and I like to go to the High Uintas, past Kamas. Lots of campgrounds and great boondocking are available up there. It's only about an hour out of town. Unfortunately, the Mirror Lake Highway or 150 doesn't open until about May 28th or so. Also, the Heber valley, above Provo and just south of Park City has some interesting areas. And Strawberry Reservoir on 40, farther south yet, has several camping areas. Go to Kirkham's on about 3100 South State Street to review maps and get excellent advice.

Greg
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby jmtk » Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Gerdo!

Welcome to SLC! This time of the year I'd head to Antelope Island State Park in the Great Salt Lake (before the bugs come out 8) ). There's a long causeway across to the island. The campground is small, so you may want to call ahead to see if you can reserve a site. I don't remember if there's water at the campground, so bring your own. There's a free-roaming bison herd on the island. This weekend (once the snow storm blows through!) could be beautiful out there. You get some incredible views of the snow-capped Wasatch Mountains over the water!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue May 06, 2008 7:42 am

Gerdo

This may not be your stile but I go to the North West corner of Utah a lot. Park Valley, Grouse Creek, Lucin, Transcontenental Railroad. Lots and lots and lots of desert. Lots of places to pull off and camp. Lots of dust, salt. Lots of things that keep most people away. No trees unless you bring your own. Though I have found some nice places up the Pilot mountains south west of Lucin.

I can hardly wait to go back. I am currently revarnishing my tear and working on the galley or I would go tomorrow.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Yogi Bear » Wed May 07, 2008 11:46 am

Hi There,

No trees unless you bring your own. Though I have found some nice places up the Pilot mountains south west of Lucin.

That's pretty funny... There one tree out there on the way and it's made of steel...

If you want to get a way from it all... Head for Pilot Mt. Utah.

I was out to the Sun Tunnels a few years ago... I counted seven different kinds of snakes on that trip...

Try our Nat. Parks, Utah is loaded with them. Maybe even to many of them.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/parkse ... .cfm?st=UT

I have a Utah Guide Book at most of my gathering for the guests to take home.

They show all the state parks and what there for camping and rec. areas

Try www.stateparks.utah.gov

The rest of the state is a Gas & Go Mart at every exit along you route.

Good Luck!
Paul
Last edited by Yogi Bear on Wed May 07, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yogi Bear
Teardrop Master

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Mon May 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Don't forget you can always take the old RR route from Promitory Point to Pilot peak, near Neveda, it is a fun ride and you can drive on the old right of way. Another fun one is out at five mile, south of Manning, West of Fairfield and Camp floyd. It runs from Five mile to almost Eureka, and pass's the site of Toplift. Jim G
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Postby MOKI SEAKER » Fri May 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Gerdo, How did your trip to Salt Lake turn out. Did you get out and about a little bit...Jim G :)
If you don’t read the newspaper, you are uninformed.. If you do read the newspaper. You are misinformed.
Mark Twain
MOKI SEAKER
The 300 Club

Return to South West